1 year free of FedEx

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Fella, I was chasing a noon P1 commitment time in a Ford van with a manual transmission before most of the miserables on here could spell Federal Express. Is the company perfect? Not hardly but compared to many other companies it is head and shoulders above them when it comes to benefits and stability. Again I ask, if the company is so corrupt and evil, why are all the people that complain still working here? Don't be miserable, go find another job. Most of you would be miserable no matter where you worked, what you made or what the work rules were.

Head and shoulders above other companies in benefits and stability? You must be smoking your Kool-Aid and lacing it with PCP. You, of all people should know how far the company has declined from when it was Federal Express to the sorry hot mess that is FedEx. You're from the 70's if you had a manual transmission, so you really are and old fart. About as bright as a fart, too.

Oldfart

Yes, you are very mistaken. Your traditional pension took your 5 highest paid years out of all the years you worked up to mid-2008, averaged them together, that was your highest average annual pay. They then take 2% of that annual average and multiply it by the number of years you worked up to a maximum 25 years, even if you worked 26 or more years before mid-2008. Thus if you put in at least 25 qualified years you get 50% of your highest annual average pay at 60 years old.

Why tell you all that? Many of us were working diligently towards that 25 year goal but never made it. I got 19 years on it by 2008. And since I was a rehire my pay was held down so my pension will be figured on much less than top out pay. So my most productive years got me less while FedEx was telling us every year in a nice glossy mailing how much we'd get if we'd stick with them. Think ending the traditional pension was an impromptu event? Years in the planning sir.

Now, the portable pension. It's true that most major corporations don't offer a TRADITIONAL PENSION anymore. Most of them switched to a cash balance plan, which is what our portable pension is. It's not 8%, it's 9%, and to get that much your age plus your years of service must equal 75 or more. A 50 year old with 25 years qualifies. A new hire gets 3% of his gross. The 4% is 1% of your balance added as interest every quarter. Yes, you got your traditional pension plus some money in your portable based on your much higher topped out pay. Think what a new hire in 2003 has gotten by now based on his much lower pay and contribution, and how difficult it is for him to contribute to his 401k, and that and his Social Security is all he'll have. You can retire at 60, he will work to 67-70 and have to scrape by. Good for you, but don't assume it's great for everyone. If FedEx sticks to the new pay plan then newhires will do better, 30 somethings will do better, but a lot of us long time midrange couriers got screwed.

Your figures are not correct. My best 5 years ended the day I enrolled into the portable. Since I had more than 25 at the time, my pension quit growing several years before that time. I believe it was 2003 or so when the portable began. My plan does receive 8%, not sure where you get 9%, my statement says otherwise. I believe my traditional is closer to 45%, not the 50% you stated. A person's pension will be a minor portion of his retirement package. The 401k will be a majority of his income. Start saving 4k a year at age 25 and get 4% return and you will have over 300k by age 60. Get 8% and over 600k is in order.

It is true most companies have switched to the cash plan, BUT only 14% of Fortune 500 companies even offer that type of plan.

Oldfart

Head and shoulders above other companies in benefits and stability? You must be smoking your Kool-Aid and lacing it with PCP. You, of all people should know how far the company has declined from when it was Federal Express to the sorry hot mess that is FedEx. You're from the 70's if you had a manual transmission, so you really are and old fart. About as bright as a fart, too.

How many layoffs has DGO faced? NONE. All layoffs 8 years or so ago were in corporate. I would call that stability. How many companies have we all delivered to that have half the employees today than they had 3 years ago. How many offices no longer have a receptionist, just a phone to call someone. Ask your customers what they pay for health insurance. Bet it is way more than the $140 or so per month I pay for family coverage. We do not pay a penalty if our spouse is offered coverage by their employer. Some companies will not even allow you to cover a spouse that has insurance at their employer.

You are correct the company is way different than the old days. Times change, things change, people change. Even the UPS retirees pension is in danger of cuts. The Teamsters are all facing cuts. The UAW members are not even close to making the wages of the old days. Today's economy is still in bad shape. Just ask Sears, Walmart, Delphi and many other companies that are suffering.

vantexan

Your figures are not correct. My best 5 years ended the day I enrolled into the portable. Since I had more than 25 at the time, my pension quit growing several years before that time. I believe it was 2003 or so when the portable began. My plan does receive 8%, not sure where you get 9%, my statement says otherwise. I believe my traditional is closer to 45%, not the 50% you stated. A person's pension will be a minor portion of his retirement package. The 401k will be a majority of his income. Start saving 4k a year at age 25 and get 4% return and you will have over 300k by age 60. Get 8% and over 600k is in order.

It is true most companies have switched to the cash plan, BUT only 14% of Fortune 500 companies even offer that type of plan.
Call the Retirement Service Center and ask them. My numbers are correct. The portable pension was started in 2003 for newhires, but the traditional ended in 2008. Those of us who didn't go into the portable pension voluntarily were forced into it in 2008. I don't know the exact year you started but let's say it was May 1976. 32 years later they terminated the plan. All years in that 32 you worked at least 1000 hours are considered when figuring your traditional pension. If that number is 30, then the 5 highest paid years of those 30 will be averaged together. That of course is if they had the traditional pension when you started. I originally started in '86 but as I was part-time at the Memphis Hub my first year didn't count.

P.S. After Googling I agree with the 14% of Fortune 500 companies offering either a traditional or cash balance pension plan. Doesn't take away from the underhanded way FedEx moved us into the new plan. A topped out courier averaging $60k who voluntarily went into the portable lost $12k over 5 years not getting that 4% a year.

P.S. Did you voluntarily go into the portable pension?

Last edited:

Oldfart

Call the Retirement Service Center and ask them. My numbers are correct. The portable pension was started in 2003 for newhires, but the traditional ended in 2008. Those of us who didn't go into the portable pension voluntarily were forced into it in 2008. I don't know the exact year you started but let's say it was May 1976. 32 years later they terminated the plan. All years in that 32 you worked at least 1000 hours are considered when figuring your traditional pension. If that number is 30, then the 5 highest paid years of those 30 will be averaged together. That of course is if they had the traditional pension when you started. I originally started in '86 but as I was part-time at the Memphis Hub my first year didn't count.
Once again. I enrolled into the portable the day it was offered. I believe it was 2003. My 5 best years ended right then, not 2008. My traditional was maxed out at 25 and I spent a couple of years after that in a plan that did not grow except for my 5 year average getting larger. It was a no brainer for us to immediately enroll into the portable. I wish my 5 best did continue till 2008 but that is just not the case. The portable was a great benefit for me. How it affected others I can't say and can't be concerned with. Just like the stock I am holding that was given to us years ago. The fact that you or other less senior people were not given that stock is not my problem. If you started in '86, I was given that stock before you graduated high school most likely. Just like the $2500/$3000 current profit sharing we used to get. If you didn't get it, I can't help that. I wished things were like they were back then. But you can't live in the past and companies that don't change and don't look to the future wind up being left behind or have For Lease signs in their parking lot.

vantexan

Once again. I enrolled into the portable the day it was offered. I believe it was 2003. My 5 best years ended right then, not 2008. My traditional was maxed out at 25 and I spent a couple of years after that in a plan that did not grow except for my 5 year average getting larger. It was a no brainer for us to immediately enroll into the portable. I wish my 5 best did continue till 2008 but that is just not the case. The portable was a great benefit for me. How it affected others I can't say and can't be concerned with. Just like the stock I am holding that was given to us years ago. The fact that you or other less senior people were not given that stock is not my problem. If you started in '86, I was given that stock before you graduated high school most likely. Just like the $2500/$3000 current profit sharing we used to get. If you didn't get it, I can't help that. I wished things were like they were back then. But you can't live in the past and companies that don't change and don't look to the future wind up being left behind or have For Lease signs in their parking lot.
OK you didn't say before that you enrolled in the portable pension in 2003. But here's the thing...your experience is based on when FedEx was a much better company. Many complaining here have had to work next to topped out people for 10-15 or more years and not only weren't catching top out pay but top pay was pulling away from them. You get after us for complaining, but it's not just our pay, it's our families' lives that are affected too. And you forget that we stuck with it. People say go work somewhere else but if everybody did FedEx wouldn't exist. FedEx doesn't want the turnover and the new pay plan is due to turnover. Give us credit for sticking it out. But we sacrificed a lot doing so, and endured a lot doing so. We've earned the right to bitch just as much as you have to praise FedEx. Maybe more so because we sure didn't get your deal.

Oldfart

OK you didn't say before that you enrolled in the portable pension in 2003. But here's the thing...your experience is based on when FedEx was a much better company. Many complaining here have had to work next to topped out people for 10-15 or more years and not only weren't catching top out pay but top pay was pulling away from them. You get after us for complaining, but it's not just our pay, it's our families' lives that are affected too. And you forget that we stuck with it. People say go work somewhere else but if everybody did FedEx wouldn't exist. FedEx doesn't want the turnover and the new pay plan is due to turnover. Give us credit for sticking it out. But we sacrificed a lot doing so, and endured a lot doing so. We've earned the right to bitch just as much as you have to praise FedEx. Maybe more so because we sure didn't get your deal.
LOL. Get back to me when you go 4 years without a raise like we did when Mary Alice Taylor was in charge. Get back to me when you are driving trucks in 100 degree temps that don't even have AC. Get back to me when you are driving trucks with manual transmission in bumper to bumper traffic. Get back to me when you have a Zapmail program that is bleeding the company dry until it was finally shut down. We made tremendous sacrifices back then to make things happen. We survived and the company survived and I only hope the miserables will allow it to survive for the next 40 or so years.

vantexan

LOL. Get back to me when you go 4 years without a raise like we did when Mary Alice Taylor was in charge. Get back to me when you are driving trucks in 100 degree temps that don't even have AC. Get back to me when you are driving trucks with manual transmission in bumper to bumper traffic. Get back to me when you have a Zapmail program that is bleeding the company dry until it was finally shut down. We made tremendous sacrifices back then to make things happen. We survived and the company survived and I only hope the miserables will allow it to survive for the next 40 or so years.
I started in '86, became a courier in '88, topped out in '90, went through much of what you did. Get back to me when you have mgr putting your freight in U.S. Mail to keep you from getting overtime. Get back to me when mgr and Sr mgr deceive you about location of JCATS opening, and that location turned into hell on Earth on the Mexican border. I was probably only courier in country that had a small tractor trailer sent 300 miles roundtrip to pick up my outbound. Loaded 100's of boxes in 100-107 degree heat with humidity, started at 1000 and worked past 2200 many a day there. And I've got plenty more. You may have more years but I've worked 28 of the last 30 and will put my experiences with FedEx mgmt and bad routes up against anyone's any time. And I was making $12.57hr in that border location too. No doubt you have had bad experiences with FedEx, but your deal is just plain better. Your better money back then was worth more than ours now too after inflation.

Last edited:

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
And what did you get for all this? A pat on the back with an "atta boy" thrown in for good measure? Many couriers drove in 100+ temps with no A/C. Been there, done that. A lot of us put up with idiots like Mary Alice Taylor who was in no way a people person and Zapmail was poorly planned from the git-go as personal and business fax machines were right around the corner. A little bit of research could have avoided that fiasco.

Sucks to be you, huh?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And what did you get for all this? A pat on the back with an "atta boy" thrown in for good measure? Many couriers drove in 100+ temps with no A/C. Been there, done that. A lot of us put up with idiots like Mary Alice Taylor who was in no way a people person and Zapmail was poorly planned from the git-go as personal and business fax machines were right around the corner. A little bit of research could have avoided that fiasco.

Sucks to be you, huh?

Mary Alice Taylor, aka The Joker. What a *****. And whose fault was ZapMail? Not ours, ***. Your beloved upper management team has made blunder after blunder, and we paid for it, not them. Oh, you forgot to mention Fred building up the Ground empire while he was telling you they couldn't afford raises.

B effing S.

Last edited by a moderator:

vantexan

And what do you say to the 10+ year employees being told they have to work another 8 years to get to top out when a new hire can come off the street and do it in 9 years? Think that's comparable to 4 years without a raise?

vantexan

Sucks to be you, huh?
Heck I worked in 125 degrees in Bullhead City, AZ. Most of my years were spent in high heat areas. My hat is off to those who work in serious cold weather. Once changed a tire in 65 below wind chill. I'll take the heat any day.

Oldfart

This fella sounds like a case of I've got mine so screw everyone else to me.
Bingo. It is all about me. Just like I tell my fellow employees when they whine like the miserables on here when I got all the good vacations and they get the leftovers. They have my sympathy but I am taking my 6 weeks off, if scheduled properly, and they can have the rest.

Oldfart

Sucks to be you, huh?

I got a company that provided for my family for nearly 40 years with no bounced paychecks and never the chance to be laid off. I got a somewhat decent check with the opportunity to make as much OT as I want, even today, that while not as big I would like, gave me the opportunity to enjoy the hobbies I do. I got a chance to build a retirement that will have 2 commas in the grand total IF the stock market does not repeat 2008. It gave me the opportunity to bang a lot of tail when I was single and meeting women on my rt many years ago. Most importantly, it gave me the opportunity to finally meet my wife on my rt as well. Life is good. It is a job, not a way of life. Sounds like people on here let it consume them and they worry too much about the little things. I don't care if my SM is banging a courier or the mechanic, it's not my problem. I don't care if my manager is committing fraud, it's not my problem. I only worry about me. You should try it sometime.

dezguy

Essentially the same as when baby boomers compare themselves to the mid 20 somethings of today. Complaining that when they were 23 they owned a house and a kid, and worked hard for everything they had.

The unfortunately reality being that you can work has hard as you want but guess what all thats happening is things are being taken away from workers and no longer given.
Amazing.

A guy/gal who has been topped out forever telling those who have never even sniffed top out or will ever sniff top out, they should be happy about it.

I guess it's a lot easier to have a retirement fund with two comma's, as he/she so gleefully boasted about, when you wage hasn't been purposefully suppressed all while the company expected the same level of production as those who were making, in some cases $10+ more an hour.

You are bang on with this response and this is the typical thought process of MOST baby boomers; The richest generation in history. Now that they got theirs, to hell with everyone else and we're all just a bunch of lazy whiners.

Serf

At the end of the day they're just another company that lies and cheats to enrich themselves, and we're supposed to just be thankful they gave us a job. These kind of people used to raid and pillage, rape and murder to get their gold. Now they just use a pen.
Corporate cutthroat. Swashbucklers and Lackeys. It reeks, I can usually see it from a mile away. Aside from peak, I do my 35 and run, not walk out the door. :death:

bacha29

I got a company that provided for my family for nearly 40 years with no bounced paychecks and never the chance to be laid off. I got a somewhat decent check with the opportunity to make as much OT as I want, even today, that while not as big I would like, gave me the opportunity to enjoy the hobbies I do. I got a chance to build a retirement that will have 2 commas in the grand total IF the stock market does not repeat 2008. It gave me the opportunity to bang a lot of tail when I was single and meeting women on my rt many years ago. Most importantly, it gave me the opportunity to finally meet my wife on my rt as well. Life is good. It is a job, not a way of life. Sounds like people on here let it consume them and they worry too much about the little things. I don't care if my SM is banging a courier or the mechanic, it's not my problem. I don't care if my manager is committing fraud, it's not my problem. I only worry about me. You should try it sometime.
Yes oldfart it is indeed all about you. So just keep your mouth shut. Just by sheer luck you somehow managed to hook on with an upstart company in a fast growing segment of the economy. That was then this is now. This particular industry is reaching maturity with intense competition and an economy that is feeling the effects of the worst recession in nearly a century and will experience very slow growth for decades to come. As a result the disparity between the value X offers it's employees and the value it demands is the widest it has ever been and will grow even wider in the days ahead. As for your precious stock the main driver of the price since 1997 has been it acquisition of RPS and it's contractor fueled high operating margins that made a significant contribution towards X's ability to weather the recession. Today after disposing of hundreds of single work area contractors who contributed mightily toward surviving the recession the handful who remain are under heavy downward pressure on settlements and in doing so it is robbing the contractors of their margins in order to ensure the continued expansion of the company's margins and therefore continue to keep you in your sheltered little world. As a member of the WWII Boomer generation I must inform you that you are an embarrassment to our generation. Furthermore you should be both humbled and grateful for the fact that good fortune and good fortune alone is responsible for your current security both for that and the sacrifices our parents generation made to ensure it. If they had not succeeded today you would be bowing to the emperor while driving around in a state owned truck with a swastika on the side of it for a state determined wage and living in a state owned apartment

Purplepackage

Amazing.

A guy/gal who has been topped out forever telling those who have never even sniffed top out or will ever sniff top out, they should be happy about it.

I guess it's a lot easier to have a retirement fund with two comma's, as he/she so gleefully boasted about, when you wage hasn't been purposefully suppressed all while the company expected the same level of production as those who were making, in some cases $10+ more an hour.

You are bang on with this response and this is the typical thought process of MOST baby boomers; The richest generation in history. Now that they got theirs, to hell with everyone else and we're all just a bunch of lazy whiners.

Your last couple sentences are exactly how I feel, they are a generation of people that things just pretty much fell into place for.

Bought there houses for 90k with a 2 car garage, and now they want to sell those houses for 250k dollars.

They truly got to live the American Dream

dezguy

Your last couple sentences are exactly how I feel, they are a generation of people that things just pretty much fell into place for.

Bought there houses for 90k with a 2 car garage, and now they want to sell those houses for 250k dollars.

They truly got to live the American Dream
My parents bought their house for $30 000, back in 1978. That was with my dad as the sole bread winner. Today, my mom could easily get $200 000 for it, possibly more. Your dollar just went further back then and there wasn't a need for a second income.

I read something recently and I wish, for the life of me I could remember where so I could cite it, that even with the two incomes most people have these days, we still aren't even close to being as ahead as the baby boomer generation who, the majority of, only had to depend on one income.