1 year free of FedEx

Purplepackage

My parents bought their house for $30 000, back in 1978. That was with my dad as the sole bread winner. Today, my mom could easily get $200 000 for it, possibly more. Your dollar just went further back then and there wasn't a need for a second income.

I read something recently and I wish, for the life of me I could remember where so I could cite it, that even with the two incomes most people have these days, we still aren't even close to being as ahead as the baby boomer generation who, the majority of, only had to depend on one income.

That sure is the truth. In my opinion for people in my kids generation having 1 income isn't even an option, unless of course you're making 120k a year on your own

outtatime

My parents bought their house for $30 000, back in 1978. That was with my dad as the sole bread winner. Today, my mom could easily get $200 000 for it, possibly more. Your dollar just went further back then and there wasn't a need for a second income.

I read something recently and I wish, for the life of me I could remember where so I could cite it, that even with the two incomes most people have these days, we still aren't even close to being as ahead as the baby boomer generation who, the majority of, only had to depend on one income.
You're not factoring in this generations need to have to latest and greatest gadget, a fancy car every 2 years and getting into major credit card debt over it. Our parents knew how to budget money and saved up cash for major purchases. There is no reason a couple cannot live on one income if they have close to no debt (except house payment) and live within their means.

Oldfart

Yes oldfart it is indeed all about you. So just keep your mouth shut. Just by sheer luck you somehow managed to hook on with an upstart company in a fast growing segment of the economy. That was then this is now. This particular industry is reaching maturity with intense competition and an economy that is feeling the effects of the worst recession in nearly a century and will experience very slow growth for decades to come. As a result the disparity between the value X offers it's employees and the value it demands is the widest it has ever been and will grow even wider in the days ahead. As for your precious stock the main driver of the price since 1997 has been it acquisition of RPS and it's contractor fueled high operating margins that made a significant contribution towards X's ability to weather the recession. Today after disposing of hundreds of single work area contractors who contributed mightily toward surviving the recession the handful who remain are under heavy downward pressure on settlements and in doing so it is robbing the contractors of their margins in order to ensure the continued expansion of the company's margins and therefore continue to keep you in your sheltered little world. As a member of the WWII Boomer generation I must inform you that you are an embarrassment to our generation. Furthermore you should be both humbled and grateful for the fact that good fortune and good fortune alone is responsible for your current security both for that and the sacrifices our parents generation made to ensure it. If they had not succeeded today you would be bowing to the emperor while driving around in a state owned truck with a swastika on the side of it for a state determined wage and living in a state owned apartment
WOW!!!

Been a bitter warped old man long? I am not a WWII baby boomer. I was born during the Eisenhower administration. Nobody gave me anything, I got it by hard work and determination. It had nothing to do with good fortune. I had to work a second job to make ends meet when I first went to work at FDX. I actually left UPS to work at FDX and it was a move that I am thankful for every day. It was a good size pay cut from UPS and it took a long time to get financial security. You are bitter because life has passed you by and you most likely are not prepared financially for retirement. While your friends and coworkers are ready to retire and enjoy their golden years, you are forced to work a job you hate and would most likely would hate any job because of your bitter feelings towards others that are more successful. That is a shame but karma can be hell.

bacha29

WOW!!!

Been a bitter warped old man long? I am not a WWII baby boomer. I was born during the Eisenhower administration. Nobody gave me anything, I got it by hard work and determination. It had nothing to do with good fortune. I had to work a second job to make ends meet when I first went to work at FDX. I actually left UPS to work at FDX and it was a move that I am thankful for every day. It was a good size pay cut from UPS and it took a long time to get financial security. You are bitter because life has passed you by and you most likely are not prepared financially for retirement. While your friends and coworkers are ready to retire and enjoy their golden years, you are forced to work a job you hate and would most likely would hate any job because of your bitter feelings towards others that are more successful. That is a shame but karma can be hell.
Excuse me pal but the U.S. Census Bureau defines the "baby boomer" generation as those individuals who were born during the years 1946-1964..If you don't believe me look it up yourself. Furthermore I wouldn't go so far as to say that a person such as you who spent his entire adult life making the Smith family including all 10 of Fred's kids rich beyond anyone's imagination as being successful or having a complete life. As for my retirement plans I will decide in the next few months if I WANT to go back to work not because I HAVE to go back to work.I'm not the one who is bitter. You're the one who is bitter about the fact that nobody's buying your B.S. about what a great company X is to work because that wonderful company exists only in your imagination and nowhere else.

Oldfart

Excuse me pal but the U.S. Census Bureau defines the "baby boomer" generation as those individuals who were born during the years 1946-1964..If you don't believe me look it up yourself. Furthermore I wouldn't go so far as to say that a person such as you who spent his entire adult life making the Smith family including all 10 of Fred's kids rich beyond anyone's imagination as being successful or having a complete life. As for my retirement plans I will decide in the next few months if I WANT to go back to work not because I HAVE to go back to work.I'm not the one who is bitter. You're the one who is bitter about the fact that nobody's buying your B.S. about what a great company X is to work because that wonderful company exists only in your imagination and nowhere else.
LOL. I dont have a care in the world bubba. You however have issues.

dex 84

You're not factoring in this generations need to have to latest and greatest gadget, a fancy car every 2 years and getting into major credit card debt over it. Our parents knew how to budget money and saved up cash for major purchases. There is no reason a couple cannot live on one income if they have close to no debt (except house payment) and live within their means.

Not if your one income is from Fedex unless you're topped out and working OT or maybe it's possible in other parts of the country but certainly not here.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
WOW!!!

Like you, I topped out in 2 years, and worked for Federal Express when it was a great company. Wages were very close to UPS, and the benefits were excellent. The retirement was never that great, but hey, it was easy to work 55 hours per week and profit sharing sure was nice. So, I've essentially been topped-out my whole career.

Guess what? A lot of people on this forum never had it as good as we did. In fact, they will never get anywhere close. What you fail to mention is just how badly Fred S sold us down the river, over and over again. I never thought I'd have to take-on a second career just to have a decent retirement, but The Weasel made it happen.

I also finished my 25 years in the Traditional Plan and have been receiving the PPA annuity, which is like an added bonus for very senior employees. Again, nobody but the most senior employees will ever be getting it.

Hopefully, there is karma, because if there is, Mr. Smith will be roasting in Hell over an open pit, with all of his employees armed with pitchforks and gasoline on leave from Courier Heaven for a special treat.

Eff you, Fred.

Oldfart

Like you, I topped out in 2 years, and worked for Federal Express when it was a great company. Wages were very close to UPS, and the benefits were excellent. The retirement was never that great, but hey, it was easy to work 55 hours per week and profit sharing sure was nice. So, I've essentially been topped-out my whole career.

Guess what? A lot of people on this forum never had it as good as we did. In fact, they will never get anywhere close. What you fail to mention is just how badly Fred S sold us down the river, over and over again. I never thought I'd have to take-on a second career just to have a decent retirement, but The Weasel made it happen.

I also finished my 25 years in the Traditional Plan and have been receiving the PPA annuity, which is like an added bonus for very senior employees. Again, nobody but the most senior employees will ever be getting it.

Hopefully, there is karma, because if there is, Mr. Smith will be roasting in Hell over an open pit, with all of his employees armed with pitchforks and gasoline on leave from Courier Heaven for a special treat.

Eff you, Fred.
Like I ask all the miserable people in the workforce. If everything about the company sucks. WHY do you continue to work there? If your skills are in such high demand, take them some where else. You keep working at a place you hate? Seems odd.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Like I ask all the miserable people in the workforce. If everything about the company sucks. WHY do you continue to work there? If your skills are in such high demand, take them some where else. You keep working at a place you hate? Seems odd.
Why are you so worried it? You're trying to throw an awful lot of weight around for a newbie. You must be management.

dezguy

It's not like their generation didn't buy things either. My dad bought a new car every 5 years, smoked two packs of cigarettes a day and was drunk from the time he got off work on Friday till he went to bed on Sunday. My parents always had a credit card balance. The big difference is, companies weren't gouging people all the time. Cars were priced so that everyone could get in one. Credit cards had a reasonable interest rate and not the 19.99% they have now.

Growing up, I saw all this and learned that's the way it should be. Luckily, me and my wife have always been pretty good with money so we have never been anywhere near the dire straights, financially, some of our friends have been but I still get a new car every 5 years, just like my dad did because that's what I saw when I was a kid.

Generations after the baby boomers didn't just up and decide to ruin themselves financially on a whim. They learned how it was supposed to be from their parents. Unfortunately, by the time they figure out things have changed, it's too late.

bacha29

Look oldfart. I'm going to break it down to where it's simple enough that even someone like you can understand it. Just as the Boomer Generation lived in an economy different from the Greatest Generation, the GenX Generation are living in an economy different from the Boomers and the Millennials are entering an economy different from the Genxer's . The economy of each generation was powered by different drivers.So before you go around pointing your finger at some kid and tell him that it's his fault that he's not rich keep in mind that at the close of WWII we were a nation with a population of 138 million. When we entered the work force we had a population of 205 million.Today this nation has a population of 323 million at a time when technology and automation is REDUCING the need for workers. We are now at a point in history where the Boomer Generation is no longer relevant because it's a generation that overall has little of the education and few of the skills needed for today's economy and unfortunately the Millennials and Genxer's who don't have those skills are going to be stuck in service jobs such as the one you have which will continue to be oversupplied driving down wages.

Oldfart

Why are you so worried it? You're trying to throw an awful lot of weight around for a newbie. You must be management.
Management? Heck no, then I would have to manage miserable people like many on here. The headache isn't worth it.

Nobody will give an honest answer. If pay sucks, Working conditions suck, management sucks and everything associated with the jobs suck. WHY do you work here? If I ate lunch at a deli and I hated everything about it. The food, the service, the employees. I wouldn't go back. Some people are only happy when they have something to complain about.

vantexan

Management? Heck no, then I would have to manage miserable people like many on here. The headache isn't worth it.

Nobody will give an honest answer. If pay sucks, Working conditions suck, management sucks and everything associated with the jobs suck. WHY do you work here? If I ate lunch at a deli and I hated everything about it. The food, the service, the employees. I wouldn't go back. Some people are only happy when they have something to complain about.
Easy. 2008 the economy tanked just as they terminated the traditional pension. Where could we go? Having diabetes, high blood pressure and a stint in an artery sure reduces my options too. You said earlier that managers committing fraud doesn't affect you. My mgrs drove me under 35 hrs then changed timecards to show me a few minutes over 35. At $11.67hr that affected me quite a bit. Had another mgr conspire with a topped out courier to take stops from me and give to her, telling me right after I transferred in that she was the A rt and I had to flex to her. She was the C rt, kept demanding more and more until I learned the truth. I'd long given up on going to the company about anything. Just another real world experience from this wonderfully ethical company. FedEx protects bad apples unless they are going to cost the company money. Your one size fits all view of the company just doesn't apply to many of us. But hey, you did well, and knowing you did should be good enough for the rest of us, huh?

whenIgetthere

Eff you, Fred.

You remind me of a long time 35 year guy who used to be at my station. He always looked out for the mid range people, something he DID NOT have to do, because he knew he had it better than a lot of us. Great guy, he helped a lot of us out, instead of telling people to quit if they didn't like it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You remind me of a long time 35 year guy who used to be at my station. He always looked out for the mid range people, something he DID NOT have to do, because he knew he had it better than a lot of us. Great guy, he helped a lot of us out, instead of telling people to quit if they didn't like it.

You get it...thank you.

Oldfart

You get it...thank you.
He looked out for you? In what way. He has no policy making authority. He can't give you a raise or give you more vacation. Mrfedex just chimes in on any argument he can to fuel the fire in making you believe every person here is getting done wrong. He is a warped bitter fella that time and life has passed. You hate mongrels cherish his opinion because it makes you feel better when an old timer agrees with you. I have no idea what less tenured people than me make. If they don't make the same as me, I can't help that. If they don't get the good vacation weeks that I get, I can't help that. If they don't get the same portable profit sharing contributions as I get, I can't help that either. Mrfedex can't either, he just likes to rile up others and make him look good in supporting your argument. If mrfedex has been here as long as me than he knows we helped build this company. When times were bad, we took the sacrifices that were needed to make the company grow and overcome the challenges. If we were still flying nothing but Falcons and DC3 like we were when I started, most of you would not even have a job. Is the company perfect, heck no. Just ask your customers what they pay in insurance, what salary they make, how much vacation they get. In MOST cases, you will find out your pay and benefits are as good or better than theirs. Not always, but as long as I am in the upper 3rd, I am satisfied.

bacha29

He looked out for you? In what way. He has no policy making authority. He can't give you a raise or give you more vacation. Mrfedex just chimes in on any argument he can to fuel the fire in making you believe every person here is getting done wrong. He is a warped bitter fella that time and life has passed. You hate mongrels cherish his opinion because it makes you feel better when an old timer agrees with you. I have no idea what less tenured people than me make. If they don't make the same as me, I can't help that. If they don't get the good vacation weeks that I get, I can't help that. If they don't get the same portable profit sharing contributions as I get, I can't help that either. Mrfedex can't either, he just likes to rile up others and make him look good in supporting your argument. If mrfedex has been here as long as me than he knows we helped build this company. When times were bad, we took the sacrifices that were needed to make the company grow and overcome the challenges. If we were still flying nothing but Falcons and DC3 like we were when I started, most of you would not even have a job. Is the company perfect, heck no. Just ask your customers what they pay in insurance, what salary they make, how much vacation they get. In MOST cases, you will find out your pay and benefits are as good or better than theirs. Not always, but as long as I am in the upper 3rd, I am satisfied.
Just another company ball s*cker like Denial 59. Two people who are entitled to their opinion but are unhappy about the fact that their strong endorsements of the company are not shared by everyone which contradicts what was pounded into their heads by the instructors at the Fedex Mind Control and Reeducation Academy .