1 year free of FedEx

whenIgetthere

Please give this 35 year employee a MrFedEx paper BZ and a Pewter Falcon he can add to his Monopoly set of safe driving awards (net value $5.00). Wow, I wish more people would confront management like that, which is exactly what we need...from everyone.

Just curious. How did Uncle Mattie react? I know he gave a scripted answer if he answered at all, because every upper management deal I've ever attended was carefully scripted, right down to who would ask the questions and what was off-limits.

Bet his rhoids were all inflamed and that local management got roasted.

Happy Hands avoided the question with the usual "looking at that at this time". This guy was one of a kind, drove management crazy, and he was an outstanding courier. He had one of the few routes I covered where I couldn't match his numbers. On the other hand, we also have a guy who a couple of years ago, when topped got a higher % raise than mid range, he said to a group of us "That's because we work harder than you do!" Believe me, that guy was one of the biggest loafers I have ever seen. Swings would run 130% + on his route without breaking a sweat.

vantexan

LOL wrong purchase. Hey, I am a football fan, what can I say.
When I quit in 2013 I was at $18.17hr after almost 15 years. I had a number of years where I worked 6 days a week for at least 40 weeks. Tell me again about how we don't work hard. Had a distinct director asked to meet me once. Said he had never heard of another courier who consistently ran his rt at 150%. I volunteered to unload cans in my late 40's for almost 4 years. Did that hard work get me better raises? Nope, just got more work piled on. I'm a conservative Republican, and people like you make me think I need to change to Independent.

Oldfart

When I quit in 2013 I was at $18.17hr after almost 15 years. I had a number of years where I worked 6 days a week for at least 40 weeks. Tell me again about how we don't work hard. Had a distinct director asked to meet me once. Said he had never heard of another courier who consistently ran his rt at 150%. I volunteered to unload cans in my late 40's for almost 4 years. Did that hard work get me better raises? Nope, just got more work piled on. I'm a conservative Republican, and people like you make me think I need to change to Independent.
I am much older and still go in Saturdays to unload cans every now and then. Offloaded just last week on a vacation day when I had a dentist appointment and some time to kill before I needed to be there. Like a wise man once told me. I am not gonna out think my peers so I have to outwork them, even at my age. Those are things we do because of our work ethic, not because we expect something in return. I try to put in at least 50hrs mon-fri and a couple more every few saturdays. Not because I am broke but because besides the physical aspect of the job, the mental part is so easy, I can't think of an easier way to make money and prepare for the next phase of my life.

What career path did you take when you left?

vantexan

I am much older and still go in Saturdays to unload cans every now and then. Offloaded just last week on a vacation day when I had a dentist appointment and some time to kill before I needed to be there. Like a wise man once told me. I am not gonna out think my peers so I have to outwork them, even at my age. Those are things we do because of our work ethic, not because we expect something in return. I try to put in at least 50hrs mon-fri and a couple more every few saturdays. Not because I am broke but because besides the physical aspect of the job, the mental part is so easy, I can't think of an easier way to make money and prepare for the next phase of my life.

What career path did you take when you left?
That's easy to say when you are paid better. When you are paid like we are either you take everything you can get or work a second job, something that isn't easy to do with our FedEx schedule. I married a gal I knew in college in 2013 and she talked me into quitting. We tried to retire early. Didn't work out and was rehired in 2014 at starting pay. And of course hiring mgrs lied to me about being able to get my previous percentage of range. After I signed offer letter found out I could have gotten per policy my old pay back per HR in that situation. Said because I signed offer letter I was locked in to starting pay. I absolutely despise the lengths this company goes to keep us down and how you can defend it is beyond me other than as long as you've got yours you could care less.

vantexan

That's easy to say when you are paid better. When you are paid like we are either you take everything you can get or work a second job, something that isn't easy to do with our FedEx schedule. I married a gal I knew in college in 2013 and she talked me into quitting. We tried to retire early. Didn't work out and was rehired in 2014 at starting pay. And of course hiring mgrs lied to me about being able to get my previous percentage of range. After I signed offer letter found out I could have gotten per policy my old pay back per HR in that situation. Said because I signed offer letter I was locked in to starting pay. I absolutely despise the lengths this company goes to keep us down and how you can defend it is beyond me other than as long as you've got yours you could care less.

P.S. I turn 55 in 3 weeks and am taking my pension and moving to Mexico. The Peso has greatly devalued in the last year. My $20k a year there is comparable to $55k a year here, more in more expensive areas. Where there's a will...

MAKAVELI

P.S. I turn 55 in 3 weeks and am taking my pension and moving to Mexico. The Peso has greatly devalued in the last year. My $20k a year there is comparable to $55k a year here, more in more expensive areas. Where there's a will...
I'd think twice about Mexico if Drumpf wins. You'd have a bigger target on your back as an American if Drumpf wins.

Oldfart

I don't involve myself in my coworkers business. I have no idea what they make or anything about their pension. My station has so many 25/30 year employees, I figure many of us make the same but their numbers are none of my business. I actually wish every courier made 75k or more, but that isn't gonna happen. I am not giving anyone part of my salary to help them out. Less senior people have my sympathy but crying, whining and negativity isn't gonna help their cause.

vantexan

I don't involve myself in my coworkers business. I have no idea what they make or anything about their pension. My station has so many 25/30 year employees, I figure many of us make the same but their numbers are none of my business. I actually wish every courier made 75k or more, but that isn't gonna happen. I am not giving anyone part of my salary to help them out. Less senior people have my sympathy but crying, whining and negativity isn't gonna help their cause.
Not going to hurt it either as FedEx doesn't give a damn.

vantexan

I'd think twice about Mexico if Drumpf wins. You'd have a bigger target on your back as an American if Drumpf wins.
Hundreds of thousands of Americans live in Mexico. I doubt Mexicans are going to attack a major source of hard currency. They still depend greatly on tourism from the States too.

Oldfart

It gives old farts something to bitch about...
LOL. Seems to me all the miserables are doing the bitching. I am laughing at all the misinformed people that can't even make a decision for themselves without asking people on here how they should think.

vantexan

LOL. Seems to me all the miserables are doing the bitching. I am laughing at all the misinformed people that can't even make a decision for themselves without asking people on here how they should think.
After they clear all the better paid old farts out of the way we'll be free to whine and bitch to our heart's content.

Oldfart

After they clear all the better paid old farts out of the way we'll be free to whine and bitch to our heart's content.
Heck yea. Bump the calendar up about 20 months and you can have it. Many of my coworkers want to take up collection to retire me early so they can have the prime vacation weeks I take every year.

vantexan

Heck yea. Bump the calendar up about 20 months and you can have it. Many of my coworkers want to take up collection to retire me early so they can have the prime vacation weeks I take every year.
Nah, you're never going to retire. You'd miss the better pay and the ragging on the malcontents.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I hear Mexico is going to build a wall to keep-out Americans taking advantage of their low cost of living and medical care.

Oldfart

Nah, you're never going to retire. You'd miss the better pay and the ragging on the malcontents.

I won't miss malcontents and if I do, all I need to do is get on this website. It is filled with them.

I will actually make more money in retirement due to loading up my 401k since it was created in the late 70's and rolling over our old RSP plans and that GRAND portable pension all you people seem to despise. I would bet some of you will actually have a larger traditional pension than I do because I got out in 2003 while you stayed till 2008. Your best 5 years might be larger than mine. You don't see me whining and complaining about less senior people getting more of a pension than me. It happens.

vantexan

I hear Mexico is going to build a wall to keep-out Americans taking advantage of their low cost of living and medical care.
If that makes you happy you just keep on hoping for it. I'm heading there until my dog dies, then headed to Southeast Europe. Or if I like Mexico enough I'll stay. Nice to have choices, something lacking for retirees here with limited income.