TooTechie

Geek in Brown
So my new phone has a built in heart rate monitor and health app with built in pedometer via it's accelerometer. One of the things the phone does is counts your steps for you. In case you haven't heard there is a big push in America right now to try to hit 10,000 steps per day to try to improve health in the country.

I had overheard some ladies in an office the other day talking about how they were trying so hard to hit their 10,000 steps but just couldn't do it no matter how much they walked everyday. Today for the hell of it I turned on the pedometer app when I left the house and kept my phone in my pocket all day. I only had an 8 hour day and the app said I did 15,190 steps, walked 7.95 miles and burned off 1,057 calories.

Has anyone with a newer smartphone or pedometer tried this? Just curious as to how different the numbers we'd come up with would be with all the varying types of routes we have.

I have tried it also and see how many steps in a normal work day at UPS.

Attachments

• 1413845634985.jpg
    1413845634985.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 217

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
How does it know when you are walking or bouncing around driving in the truck?
Smart phones have accelerometers. Think of a mercury switch with advanced mathematical calculations thrown in. :) The computer can tell based on the motion if you're in motion or if you're stationary but bouncing a little. If you stand in one spot but swing your phone back and forth in the same repetitive motion like you're running then it will think you're moving and count it, but other than that it's pretty accurate.

I have tried it also and see how many steps in a normal work day at UPS.
Looks about right. Mine was for an 8 hour day.

UPS4Life

Damn I have an iPhone. I heard if you get one of those bands to wear it does all that fancy stuff but haven't had the urge to buy one yet.

Sent using BrownCafe App

9.5er

I have the Samsung S5 also. Today it says I took 23980 steps and went 12.42 miles. My biggest day was 31788- 18.35 miles.
I think it is picking up some of the bumps from the road though.

I have the Samsung S5 also. Today it says I took 23980 steps and went 12.42 miles. My biggest day was 31788- 18.35 miles.
I think it is picking up some of the bumps from the road though.
When I go out as a Driver Helper I will check if it keeps counting steps even when we are driving.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Nobody's walking that many miles as a UPS driver. If you had 150 stops and walked 100 feet there and back at each one you would put on less then 6 miles.

Jimmyb31

Nobody's walking that many miles as a UPS driver. If you had 150 stops and walked 100 feet there and back at each one you would put on less then 6 miles.

I do about 150/165 a day but I also do 5 different medical building with multiple stops in each one and I'm positive a lot of other people do too if not more. Those who have all business routes as well. It not always hop out of the truck. Walk up to a door then back to the truck. We all wish it was that easy. So that would definitely bring the average up quite a bit.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Don't forget not everyone is just pulling up to a house or a business and getting out to deliver. For example in skyscrapers, I park at a loading dock then have to walk across the building to an elevator, then when I get to the floor I have to walk across the floor (sometimes a few hundred feet, then back across that level back to the elevator, rinse and repeat. Say you had just one stop in the skyscraper (unlikely but meh) you'd have the 300 feet to the elevator from the truck, 200 feet across the floor to the suite you want, 200 feet back, then 300 feet back to the truck. That's 1,000 feet just in that stop. There are 5,280 feet in a mile. Just sayin'.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Walk faster slacker,

Sincerely,
Your Management Team
During your next PCM, I'd like you address the new 5 keys to walking less and faster.

1. Take longer strides
2. Double up on stairs, never wait for an elevator without a handcart.
3. Try to deliver to the first human you see at the delivery area.
4. Brisk walk has been replaced with slow jog
5. Practice avoiding aggressive dogs by delivering with the three S's; speed,silence, and stealth.

Thank you,
Your Upper Management Team

STFXG

The phone counts bumps in the road as you're driving. Prop it up on your dash and watch the steps pile up as you cruise down the road. Not accurate at all.

PeasAndCarrots

I used to use Argus for the iPhone 5S. I averaged around 12k steps every day. It's funny to look at the timeline with all the tall, hourly bar graphs and then see it drop to 0 during lunch.

SandW357

I have a Galaxy Note 3, and pedometer runs in background whether I want it or not. I have a country route with a lot of walk offs, that being said, it says I regularly hit 25000 to 30000 steps a day. There's no way I'm walking that much, it has to be the truck. If half of that is all me, I'm happy with it.