10 hr rule?

New Englander

Do all of the centers have that rule if you go over 10 hours you get a 20 minute bonus? I've never heard of that at my center....

New England Supplement. Other regions get more breaks that need to be taken, others get nothing.

So far from what I've seen ours is one of the best offered since it's like a paid break we do not need to take - forcing us to have another 20 minutes added to our day.

gandydancer

Do all of the centers have that rule if you go over 10 hours you get a 20 minute bonus? I've never heard of that at my center....

Just a guess, but the state in question may require 20 min paid break if you work over 10 hr, and at UPS earned paid breaks often get skipped and then credited at the end of the day.

New Englander

:)

It wasn't really worth a full reply explaining why.

At one time we were "given" another paid break after 10 hours that had to be taken to get.

Considering the implications of making us stay out another 20 minutes most nights UPS probably agreed with the Union just to pay it as a time bonus.

Now it's a given bonus. I received 1.66 in time bonus overtime last week. For working over 10 five days.

:)

It wasn't really worth a full reply explaining why.

At one time we were "given" another paid break after 10 hours that had to be taken to get.

Considering the implications of making us stay out another 20 minutes most nights UPS probably agreed with the Union just to pay it as a time bonus.

Now it's a given bonus. I received 1.66 in time bonus overtime last week. For working over 10 five days.
That is something like what I think it should be for the three days in a week over 9.5 grievance procedure. If you work three days over 9.5 in one week, everything over that 9.5 for the week should be paid at triple time with no filing necessary. This would cut out the forced 11 hour days.

UPS Lifer

Peak is December 18 here. Is it the same date everywhere?

Peak Day is a little misleading. This is the day that historically has the most packages both PU & delivery, in the system or the network. Pick ups start to fall off after today, but the residential deliveries continue to climb.

It all depends on how the advanced loads hit your area. Every area is different. Some districts advance everything they can and some districts try to level off the loads with a spike on Mondays because the preloads can start earlier.

Twilights will get hit hard today with premium service outbound sorts getting hit in sequence the next 3 days.

It is almost over hang in there!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Lifer, that is exactly what happened here today. They advanced 2 loads which were to be processed tomorrow to try to balance the work between today and tomorrow, which is projected to be our Peak Day. Yes, today was busier than expected, but I am glad they advanced the 2 loads because it should make tomorrow a bit more bearable.

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
five drivers per loop, one from each loop bites the bullet and goes over 9/5 while rest make it, looks good on paper i guess. Im downtown with 30 p/u and 5 to 10 on-calls nightly, so im not the over 9/5 guy in my loop, but is fun to see them scramble at 1700 to get my last 10 stops.

So my point, one out of 5 drivers in our center goes over 9/5

Also, Jan. should suck when they start breaking out every 4th route, i make more money after xmas then during.

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
My theory on Mondays is that they're either cake, or totally awful. I haven't driven a ton of Mondays, as they usually cut a lot of routes and I don't have the seniority to work them, but I do work the reload and see what happens to the drivers. Today was pretty awful. Had 250 stops, a pretty large work area, my load was totally destroyed, had one of the older P1000's with no power steering and is the slowest truck we have haha.

Today is the first day I have gone over 10 hours, almost made it to 11 haha. My supervisor said Thursday is supposed to be "peak day" and that's the first day they're having relaxed air commits. We will see. Last year the relaxed commits on airs started like 2 weeks before Christmas, and I was going out with 30 air stops every day.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Peak Day is a little misleading. This is the day that historically has the most packages both PU & delivery, in the system or the network. Pick ups start to fall off after today, but the residential deliveries continue to climb.

It all depends on how the advanced loads hit your area. Every area is different. Some districts advance everything they can and some districts try to level off the loads with a spike on Mondays because the preloads can start earlier.

Twilights will get hit hard today with premium service outbound sorts getting hit in sequence the next 3 days.

It is almost over hang in there!

I don't know or understand the advanced load thing but I heard tonight that our UPS Store had over 400 pcs going out today. Some of these were P/U'd on sat but the rest went out today. They had to have 3 p/u's today.

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
I don't know or understand the advanced load thing but I heard tonight that our UPS Store had over 400 pcs going out today. Some of these were P/U'd on sat but the rest went out today. They had to have 3 p/u's today.
Your UPS store? Like, you only have one? I think we have like a half dozen here, and each one has about 300pcs every day lol

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We actually have 3, but as I don't know what the numbers for the other 2 I did not include them. OK by you?

I really don't care how many you have!