Removed from service over a month ago but still haven't been fired

SmithJohn

I was removed from service mid Feb due to a second DUI (both outside of work) in the 5 year window (I know I'm an idiot so we can skip that discussion). The charge is minor as far as they go and, according to the lawyer, will most likely be dumbed down to reckless driving. It's been over a month and neither my union nor I have been notified of any termination or plan of action from labor or the company. Everything on my end was reported by the book within the timelines. My timecards are being processed as "layoff" for the days that I would be working. Any input as to what could be going on? I'm sure I'm a goner but why would it be taking so long for them to pull the trigger on termination? Are they allowed to take this long to take action?

UPSmechanicinblue

I would be in contact with your BA, I think you would be ok if it is reduced from anything DUI related and you can retain your license. Especially if you followed procedures on reporting. They have to remove you from service once you report it. I am sure someone will chime in with other info but your steward and BA is the best one to work with being he will be representing you.

What's your ETA

They probably won’t care until you lose your driving privileges. if you get a 30 day suspension and can cover it with vacation time, you might squeak by. 6 months to a year…you’re toast.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I was removed from service mid Feb due to a second DUI (both outside of work) in the 5 year window (I know I'm an idiot so we can skip that discussion). The charge is minor as far as they go and, according to the lawyer, will most likely be dumbed down to reckless driving. It's been over a month and neither my union nor I have been notified of any termination or plan of action from labor or the company. Everything on my end was reported by the book within the timelines. My timecards are being processed as "layoff" for the days that I would be working. Any input as to what could be going on? I'm sure I'm a goner but why would it be taking so long for them to pull the trigger on termination? Are they allowed to take this long to take action?
How many DUI’s before you kill somebody? Sorry bro but if it was up to me you’d get one chance then Beat it @ Barney

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants
Bad advice dude is in no position to
“Force” anything
Company will say ok your fired just stay in touch with your BA and let the chips fall where they may
If he's laid off then file, period. If the driver is fired then follow the grievance procedure.
The company does not get to have it both ways. By filing, they will be asked about available work, they will claim he has an 8hr gaurentee, so they won't have to pay, yet they refuse to properly pull him from service. By filing, it will force the company to either pay the unemployment benefits, or take him off layoff.
Management has a duty obligation and responsibility to do things correctly. Either the driver is suspended, fired, layed off, or in service. Suspended or fired, there's a grievance process. In service, is self explanatory. File for layoff everyday your coded as a layoff. Simple easy. The company HATES it, but they've got rules to follow through.

My advice was not bad.
It will further his case along, by properly coding the driver.

As for the actual OP, he should know better, too bad so sad, he does not deserve to wear the shield and represent the professionalism we drivers have come to represent. Ain't got any sympathy for an Alki pos who gets behind the wheel, regardless of all the excuses they will give.