$100 a week for insurance and little or no raises!!

kingOFchester

Voices of reason.

Last time I bought a vehicle, it had a $30k sticker price.
They offered $24,500.
3 hours later I walked out with an $18,500 (paid cash) vehicle.

We went back and forth at least 15 times over that 3 hour period.

It's a process that works best when you don't get emotional.

Understood and even agree. However, what has me pissed is that insurance is even in the discussion. Our bodies are what we use and abuse. Our insurance is a necessity, not a luxury. Just like a salesman gets his vehicle paid for by his employer so he can perform his job, we should have our bodies cared for by our employer.

Insurance should not be a part of the negotiations. The union should of started with this issue.

kingOFchester

[video=youtube;wPmTp9up26w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPmTp9up26w[/video]...........

My answer is nothing UPS

And that is what hall said:

UPS Targets Health Benefits | Teamsters for a Democratic Union

"UPS management has put a proposal on the table that members pay up to $90 a week for health benefits..............We're not paying $90. We're not paying $9. We're not paying 9¢. We're not paying premiums for health insurance for a company that made $4.389 billion, Hall said............................Hall said that UPS has been told they must drop the proposal when contract negotiations resume or the union will pull the plug on early bargaining.......................Their goal is to lower expectations and distract us from the real issues. We have to keep our eye on the ball. And so do our negotiators"

One part that scares me and should be watched is this little tid bit from hall :
""We're not going to accept substantial cuts. We're not going to accept premiums. We're not negotiating a wage increase to cover it."

Substantial cuts??? We should see NO cuts. Period.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
The following is an exert from a speech made by Scott Davis:

"Third, great companies are disciplined. They make decisions that are in the best interest of their customers and employees. They don't make the expedient choice, or even the safest choice. They evaluate their situation and try to make the best choice."

In my opinion the the expediant choice would be to make the employees pay for the benefits and put more money in the company's pocket (they only made $4 Billion + net profit). The decesion that would be for the best interest of the company would be to bargain in good faith and give the employees what they have earned through hard work and toil a decent raise and a continuation of the benefits that they now enjoy. As for the customers they want to see their UPS guy every day not the guy who wears purple and orange while there is a work stoppage.

reydluap

That's awesome but I'd never pay cash for a car when you can get 0% interest just for having great credit. Twenty some thousand dollars that can stay invested seems like a good way to roll by me.

This is one reason of thinking that explains why our Country is in such a financial crisis! 0% interest is not a true 0%. Your "interest" is just added up front to the price of the vehicle you are purchasing
You don't really think you are getting money for free,do you??!!!??

brown_trousers

Understood and even agree. However, what has me pissed is that insurance is even in the discussion. Our bodies are what we use and abuse. Our insurance is a necessity, not a luxury. Just like a salesman gets his vehicle paid for by his employer so he can perform his job, we should have our bodies cared for by our employer.

Insurance should not be a part of the negotiations. The union should of started with this issue.

Agreed! This isn't some office job, where health conditions and doctor visits are caused by off-work activities. Our health care is needed to offset the demands UPS places on our bodies. In our line of work at UPS, health care is necessary to the job.

This is one reason of thinking that explains why our Country is in such a financial crisis! 0% interest is not a true 0%. Your "interest" is just added up front to the price of the vehicle you are purchasing
You don't really think you are getting money for free,do you??!!!??
I don't buy a car unless I've done my research and found the best deal. Zero percent interest on top of that is a big plus.

moreluck

golden ticket member
When contract time gets close.......people you never heard of crawl out from under the woodwork (you know who you are.)

Rah-rahs!!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
By the way, I used to work for the phone company (Verizon) and in this last year both Verizon & AT&T (IBEW & CWA) gave in & gave up their free medical/dental. I hope we can keep it free but the other unions have set a bad precedent in the last year.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Voices of reason.

Last time I bought a vehicle, it had a $30k sticker price.
They offered $24,500.
3 hours later I walked out with an $18,500 (paid cash) vehicle.

We went back and forth at least 15 times over that 3 hour period.

It's a process that works best when you don't get emotional.

Sounds good but do you know you did it wrong?
You negotiated from the list price down; you want to do it from the dealer invoice (most I've paid is $300 over dealer invoice, best was $1750 below).

brown_trousers

By the way, I used to work for the phone company (Verizon) and in this last year both Verizon & AT&T (IBEW & CWA) gave in & gave up their free medical/dental. I hope we can keep it free but the other unions have set a bad precedent in the last year.

I believe we have a bit more bargaining power with UPS that those unions did with their businesses. A strike at Verizon isn't going to result in all Verizon's customers running to the competitors.

A strike at UPS, however, could be a devastating blow to UPS. I'd imagine that even with the rising healthcare costs, a strike would still cost them more than our free healthcare benefits. How much did the last strike cost UPS? and how much market share did they give up to FedEx because of it?

upsset

I have no dog or pony in this dog & pony show.....but

with everybody's medical costs going up, most entities just pass the cost on to the consumers. Why do you think you shouldn't pay a portion of the increased costs?

I don't think UPS will absorb all the Obama costs & surprise taxes. If in the new contract you still pay nothing towards your health care, then a MIRACLE has occurred and Christ again walks the earth..(IMO)

Why do you think you shouldn't pay a portion of the increased costs?.........4.385 billion NET PROFITS, LET ME REPEAT.....4.385 BILLION IN NET PROFITS!!!!!! Net is after expenses (including our health care costs) Profits generated by our hard work and customer service. That is why. Any questions?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
and $90 forfamily coverage.Employee healthcare premiumswould go up 10 percent each year ofthe contract and would hit $130 a​
week by the end of the agreement.

There it is again - so they already know it's a 4 yr contract?

Almost sounds like another last best and final offer.

skunk

and $90 forfamily coverage.Employee healthcare premiumswould go up 10 percent each year ofthe contract and would hit $130 a​

I'm getting a 5 year contract. 90 a week first year,then 99,108.90,119.79,131.77.

kingOFchester

Year 1 August 2013-2014 $90
Year 2 August 2014-2015 $99
Year 3 August 2015-2016 $108.90
Year 4 August 2016-2017 $119.79
Year 5 August 2017-2018 $131.76

By my calculations it appears this would be a 5 year contract. But a tad more then 130 a week for the last year.