12-1

upsdude

Then how come when you sheet a NI the DIAD asks you if it's commercial or residential?

When I go to Walgreens and they fail to open the door, NI1. I don't use CLO1 because they're not Closed. If I walk up to a counter and there isn't anyone to sign or aknowledge my being there, NI1.

That's the way I was trained 20+ years ago, same policy applies today.

browniehound

I have a question and this seems like the appropriate place to put it.

Sheeting businesses CLO/NI, what's the difference? I was under the impression that NI is for resi, CLO is for business.

(and ne'er the 'twain shall meet)

Dilli,
It doesn't matter if you use NI1 or Clo1. What matters is when you choose "1" for a residence or "2" for commercial afterwards.

You can sheet a commercial address Clo1 between 12 and 1 and then choose "1" for residential and the package will not show as missed on the report. It will show that you sheeted a known commercial as a residence on another report.

If you do this, you can be terminated for falsifying delivery records. UPS has a report for everything and knows every move you make that doesn't "jive" with their records.

Do yourself a favor and just be honest. If you screw up and mistakingly sheet a package or 15 packages closed from 12-1, call the center. It will be the difference of a slap on the wrist and termination.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I quickly scanned the replies to this thread and did not see this so I will offer it here. Put yourselves in the shoes of the customer who does have a normal job which does allow him to go to lunch between noon and 1 like most other normal people (normal meaning non-UPS person). Would you like to be penalized simply because you are at lunch when the UPS driver comes by? I would think that the number of businesses that close entirely between noon and 1 would be relatively small--there is usually someone who hangs around to answer the phones and then take his/her lunch either before or after this time. Perhaps I am fortunate but I only have 2 business (if I stay on trace) that are closed between noon and 1 and I have made arrangements with both re: deliveries. Closed between noon and 1 and closed after 5 are huge issues in my center and will warrant that individual a verbal and then a written warning if it persists.

Known closures are different and have been discussed at length in an earlier thread. We are instructed to sheet these as CLO HOL and there are no time restrictions on doing this (these can be sheeted between noon and 1 and it's no big deal). I like to have these stops loaded in the off chance that someone is at that stop and I can get rid of these pkgs. This actually happened yesterday--I had 2 pkgs for a hair salon that is closed Mondays but the owner was there styling some old ladies hair so it worked out well.

I just leave a note with the supe who takes care of known closures and deliver those the next day. That is for Barbershops, etc. that don't open on a particular day. As for places that are closed for lunch, I just indirect the pkg/s or comeback later. As far as resi's go, I try to indirect if no one home. If it's adult signature I may go back later in the day. My goal is 0 send agains, and that's usually the case.

I have a question and this seems like the appropriate place to put it.

Sheeting businesses CLO/NI, what's the difference? I was under the impression that NI is for resi, CLO is for business.

(and ne'er the 'twain shall meet)

I didn't know this!!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dilli,
It doesn't matter if you use NI1 or Clo1. What matters is when you choose "1" for a residence or "2" for commercial afterwards.

You can sheet a commercial address Clo1 between 12 and 1 and then choose "1" for residential and the package will not show as missed on the report. It will show that you sheeted a known commercial as a residence on another report.

If you do this, you can be terminated for falsifying delivery records. UPS has a report for everything and knows every move you make that doesn't "jive" with their records.

Do yourself a favor and just be honest. If you screw up and mistakingly sheet a package or 15 packages closed from 12-1, call the center. It will be the difference of a slap on the wrist and termination.
I have unintentionally done this and gotten an ODS shortly afterwards telling me to fix it.... LOL
I did, one time, sheet a commercial (12-1) NI but I feel it was justified and said as much when I was called on it. It was a beauty salon cod and the cnee was not in to write a check. In retrospect I could have sheeted it NM but I didn't.

I am just trying to do my job the best I can.

BM, good point. Had not considered that. But, if we can sheet as NI then why do we need CLO. If we del. business only between 9-12 1-5 then we shouldn't need CLO at all. ?

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
When I go to Walgreens and they fail to open the door, NI1. I don't use CLO1 because they're not Closed. If I walk up to a counter and there isn't anyone to sign or aknowledge my being there, NI1.

That's the way I was trained 20+ years ago, same policy applies today.
I have a five and dime type cnee that is constantly NI and like you that is the way I sheet it. They aren't closed but they don't answer the door.

browniehound

I have unintentionally done this and gotten an ODS shortly afterwards telling me to fix it.... LOL
I did, one time, sheet a commercial (12-1) NI but I feel it was justified and said as much when I was called on it. It was a beauty salon cod and the cnee was not in to write a check. In retrospect I could have sheeted it NM but I didn't.

I am just trying to do my job the best I can.

BM, good point. Had not considered that. But, if we can sheet as NI then why do we need CLO. If we del. business only between 9-12 1-5 then we shouldn't need CLO at all. ?

Dilligaf,
I happen to agree that it is a huge inconvience to not sheet packages as closed between 12 and 1. If the business is open for the day I can always find someone to sign. Its the businesses that are closed for the entire day and you arrive at 1230 that create a problem.

One solution would be to take YOUR lunch between 12 and 1. The problem with that could be missed businesses if you run out of delivery time before your pick-ups. Another issue is your hunger. If you eat at 12 and don't punch out until 8 you will be hungry at 6 without any break time left.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Brownie, depending on the rte that I am doing I will stop and take my lunch and one break between 12/1 (45 min). Also the other option is del. some resi between 12/1. It all depends on the rte. We have rtes that are heavy on bus. and some that are heavy on resi. Very few are split equally. Knowing the rtes makes a huge difference also.

It has taken me 2 yrs to learn a majority of the rtes well enough to know which rtes and which of the above theories works the best together.

BigBrownSanta

I use NI for businesses that are normally open but for some reason or another are not there when I attempt delivery.

I use CL for businesses that are closed for the day such as closed on mondays, or if I attempted delivery after their posted hours but before 5pm.

I don't know if that's the proper way to do it, but that's the logic I use.

CFLBrown

Wouldn't a "Not Ready" be the correct option for a business that is open and there is no one to sign for the package? Or for a company that you know is open (Walgreens) but will refuse to answer their door. Yes I know you can go inside, however, they sure love to take their time to answer the door.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Wouldn't a "Not Ready" be the correct option for a business that is open and there is no one to sign for the package? Or for a company that you know is open (Walgreens) but will refuse to answer their door. Yes I know you can go inside, however, they sure love to take their time to answer the door.

I had the same problem with the Walgreen's on my route until I started sheeting their packages as "refused" and sending them back when they wouldnt open the door. That helped them to develop the necessary sense of urgency to answer the bell when I rang it. I was more than happy to bring everything in thru the front door, but some bonhead from their Corporate dept. decided that the back door had to be used for deliveries, even if their employees didnt have time to go back there. Sounds like a UPS manager wannabe.

helenofcalifornia

Friggin' Walgreens!!! They are the same nationwide. Go figure. Did they set a policy to make all UPS deliveries wait forever and a day to open their backdoor? Apparently.

And I used "closed" for places with written working hours posted that are not there when I am (excepting lunch hours, of course), and NI1 for deliveries that aren't there for delivery.

upsdude

Just a little Walgreen’s story. My very first attempt to deliver to a Walgreen’s resulted in my walking through the front door. A manager (Walgreen’s) very arrogantly told me I was to use the back door and I was not to use the front door period!

A few months later my wife needed me to pick up a prescription at Walgreen’s on the way home. She knew I would pass by there and was trying to make things easy for me. I walked through the front door in my browns and was immediately accosted by a manager and told the front door wasn’t to be used by UPS. I informed him I was off the clock and picking up a prescription. I also told him he need not worry about me ever spending another dime in his store. Additionally, his comments cost his store a couple hundred dollars a month just in my co-pay. The insurance portion would obviously increase that amount significantly. His response? 1000 mile stare.

Walgreen’s, no thanks, I’ll drive out of my way to do business elsewhere.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Just a little Walgreen’s story. My very first attempt to deliver to a Walgreen’s resulted in my walking through the front door. A manager (Walgreen’s) very arrogantly told me I was to use the back door and I was not to use the front door period!

A few months later my wife needed me to pick up a prescription at Walgreen’s on the way home. She knew I would pass by there and was trying to make things easy for me. I walked through the front door in my browns and was immediately accosted by a manager and told the front door wasn’t to be used by UPS. I informed him I was off the clock and picking up a prescription. I also told him he need not worry about me ever spending another dime in his store. Additionally, his comments cost his store a couple hundred dollars a month just in my co-pay. The insurance portion would obviously increase that amount significantly. His response? 1000 mile stare.

Walgreen’s, no thanks, I’ll drive out of my way to do business elsewhere.

The Walgreens I deliver to has got to be the best. I can do both front or back door deliveries. I use the front door for smaller loads and the back for bulk. They answer the back door pretty quickly, as well. I've even arranger to p/u the pharmacy one day a week, on friday. This way I don't keep getting sent back to the pharmacy for 1 pkg on any given day. When I was on another route, I had the same slow response, but for the past 3yrs on this route, it's been a joy.