15 year package driver taking a Supervisor position...

preload1

I was wondering if anyone knew how UPS would calculate my pay. I want to go into the meeting with some idea of the process. Would appreciate any feed back you have to offer. Thanks!
Good luck in your next chapter at UPS. You will not lose money although I would make sure to ask what your base salary will be. Make sure your family is on board with your decision. I started as a part timer in 1978, then went into part time supervision in 1980, full time driving in '84, full time supervision in '89 and retired as a Center Manager in 2010. Experiences in Preload, Hub and especially I.E. were priceless. As everything in life that's worth something, UPS is a challenge. Whatever you do always keep your family's best interests first. Stick around and you could pull pension benefits from different plans. I do. And remember that the UPS management plan's are the most stable ones. Good luck.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
ahh,, raising kids, well if you do get the promotion, just tell your wife to start acting like a single mom because your now married to the job and its ridiculous hrs,, also, you may be driving 49 miles to the next hub, your wanted position is meaningless, your at he mercy of higher ups, your center manager and dm have no say what position you will have and where you will be working,, a good family life is not realistic with ups operations

Braman55

ahh,, raising kids, well if you do get the promotion, just tell your wife to start acting like a single mom because your now married to the job and its ridiculous hrs,, also, you may be driving 49 miles to the next hub, your wanted position is meaningless, your at he mercy of higher ups, your center manager and dm have no say what position you will have and where you will be working,, a good family life is not realistic with ups operations
This is an invalid argument on so many fronts. The family in management is no worse than anything in driving. I have read this several times and it still doesn't work. It's all the same! Just like driving, I manage to do my route better than the next guy on days I need to get off early. In management when I need the time I'll find it and get it!

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Management works less hours than drivers typically and certainly in non-operations management.

over9five

Staff member
79101741235651307.jpg

trixie

I haven't been in this conversation before but it's a mistake to go into management. It is a thankless job, IE makes ALL the decisions about routes and how many go in each day. The center team isn't allowed to make their own decisions. I've been PT management for 26 years and have been in IE, HR, and 3 diff centers and it's all the same. No one EVER makes their kids' games, recitals or whatever. Doesn't matter if you're driver or management. That's why I stayed PT. Now the new thing is if you're at the top of your salary range (which you will be if they give you credit for your driving years) you will NEVER get a pay raise. I'm there now. But don't worry, your benefits will go up every year. You will work at least 60 hours a week. You won't be sitting in an a/c office. On cars have to be on the road. Get it, "on car?" There won't ever be a day when you can complete all your work. There isnt enough staff for that but that's still no excuse not to get it done. Nothing, NOTHING, makes upper management satisfied. I'm not a bitter employee, just one smart enough to know not to step from the frying pan into the fire. Please don't do it. It truly is not the cushy job you've been lead to believe it is. Stay a driver. Benefits and retirement are much better. You can retire earlier. We have to wait until 55 and I've heard they're pushing it back. This would be a huge mistake. If you truly don't need the money go find an 8 to 5 job somewhere else. UPS will never be that. Ever. No matter what they tell you it isn't true. I know. I've been in large centers and small centers. A small center is like winning the UPS job lottery and my on car is still here late all the time because he has to be if the drivers are. It sucks. Don't do it. It's truly not what they've told you it is.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Sup pay is based on 45 hours a week times top driver pay if you are applying for an on-car sup.

Other positions pay less ... much less.

Really? That honestly does sound Tempting. How do we go about finding an opportunity like On road sup???

I know they start earlier @ building so hrs might be longer @ times but other times they get good hrs. Especially if on road in personal vehicle following drivers or chasing misloads.

Lot of head aches but also some perks.

45 straight time hrs ? $32x 45= $1,440 B4 tax.

What about bonus? stock options, etc.....

What R qualifications ?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I haven't been in this conversation before but it's a mistake to go into management. It is a thankless job, IE makes ALL the decisions about routes and how many go in each day. The center team isn't allowed to make their own decisions. I've been PT management for 26 years and have been in IE, HR, and 3 diff centers and it's all the same. No one EVER makes their kids' games, recitals or whatever. Doesn't matter if you're driver or management. That's why I stayed PT. Now the new thing is if you're at the top of your salary range (which you will be if they give you credit for your driving years) you will NEVER get a pay raise. I'm there now. But don't worry, your benefits will go up every year. You will work at least 60 hours a week. You won't be sitting in an a/c office. On cars have to be on the road. Get it, "on car?" There won't ever be a day when you can complete all your work. There isnt enough staff for that but that's still no excuse not to get it done. Nothing, NOTHING, makes upper management satisfied. I'm not a bitter employee, just one smart enough to know not to step from the frying pan into the fire. Please don't do it. It truly is not the cushy job you've been lead to believe it is. Stay a driver. Benefits and retirement are much better. You can retire earlier. We have to wait until 55 and I've heard they're pushing it back. This would be a huge mistake. If you truly don't need the money go find an 8 to 5 job somewhere else. UPS will never be that. Ever. No matter what they tell you it isn't true. I know. I've been in large centers and small centers. A small center is like winning the UPS job lottery and my on car is still here late all the time because he has to be if the drivers are. It sucks. Don't do it. It's truly not what they've told you it is.

As you said, "I haven't been in this conversation before ...".
These cons of going into management have been discussed but this is a good synopsis.
He stated it was a non-ops job.

trixie

Non ops job doesn't mean you will stay there. They don't seem to be rotating people the way they have in years past but if they do move you and you say no they will punish you for years. Like I said, I've been in IE and HR. Most supervisors work when the sorts are running. There is an HR and IE person for each sort. So plan on nights and super early mornings. UPS for the most part is "down" during the day while the drivers are delivering and picking up from 8 to 5 and then everything else fires up when they finish their day. In 26 years I have made a lot of friends across every department in our company. EVERYONE says the same thing...their personal life has suffered because of their job. Never home, never reasonable hours. A lot of management are on their second marriage or having an affair with a co-worker (who they see more than their family). If you can hang on until early retirement the average longevity of a UPSer retiring at 55 is 7 years. :( its the stress. You can try all you want to get done and get out to make a game or recital but you will be taunted by co-workers for actually leaving at 10 hours and actually doing it will be the exception, not the rule. Supervising employees sucks. Sales sucks, HR sucks, IE sucks. I haven't been in Finance but I know people there who say it sucks. If you can get your job done, congrats you get more to do. On and on until all you do is complete the current hot item and apologize later for what didn't get done and take the punishment and listen to them tell you that you're a piece of crap. No one is exceptional. If you think you are they will show you you're not. Goals are impossible. Always. Numbers rule. Just trying to paint a realistic picture. This is not the company of the 80s and 90s. When we downsized a few years back I saw a tough, seasoned 30 yr employee who was a good div mgr reduced to tears when they did away with his job and offered him something across the united states. Yeah that's how they treat the "partners". It was a much better career when only the partners owned the company. We all keep coming back for more like abused children. It's sick.

W

want to retire

Non ops job doesn't mean you will stay there. They don't seem to be rotating people the way they have in years past but if they do move you and you say no they will punish you for years. Like I said, I've been in IE and HR. Most supervisors work when the sorts are running. There is an HR and IE person for each sort. So plan on nights and super early mornings. UPS for the most part is "down" during the day while the drivers are delivering and picking up from 8 to 5 and then everything else fires up when they finish their day. In 26 years I have made a lot of friends across every department in our company. EVERYONE says the same thing...their personal life has suffered because of their job. Never home, never reasonable hours. A lot of management are on their second marriage or having an affair with a co-worker (who they see more than their family). If you can hang on until early retirement the average longevity of a UPSer retiring at 55 is 7 years. :( its the stress. You can try all you want to get done and get out to make a game or recital but you will be taunted by co-workers for actually leaving at 10 hours and actually doing it will be the exception, not the rule. Supervising employees sucks. Sales sucks, HR sucks, IE sucks. I haven't been in Finance but I know people there who say it sucks. If you can get your job done, congrats you get more to do. On and on until all you do is complete the current hot item and apologize later for what didn't get done and take the punishment and listen to them tell you that you're a piece of crap. No one is exceptional. If you think you are they will show you you're not. Goals are impossible. Always. Numbers rule. Just trying to paint a realistic picture. This is not the company of the 80s and 90s. When we downsized a few years back I saw a tough, seasoned 30 yr employee who was a good div mgr reduced to tears when they did away with his job and offered him something across the united states. Yeah that's how they treat the "partners". It was a much better career when only the partners owned the company. We all keep coming back for more like abused children. It's sick.

Now.....some folks are going to call you jealous........a whiner........jealous...........and to be intellectually honest, you should be under attack shortly. I've never been in mgt., but as a 31 year hourly, I've heard much of the same as you describe. When anyone asks for help getting a job at UPS, I decline(even family). I really wonder why the op would want to so radically change his lifestyle. At 15 years, he would have moderate seniority at my hub. My conclusion is that he is so naive, stupid(or both)......although he makes it sound as if they are begging him to be promoted. Really? Begging? And so.....if he is of such star quality.......he will be in Atlanta shortly.......right?.....Begging....

trixie

Well I'm sure about the begging part...they would never be able to get one of our drivers to take a management job. I just piped in because I think he's been given a pie in the sky idea about what it's like. Jealousy never entered the picture at all. There isn't enough money to pay me to take a full time job. I never encourage anyone to work for ups. It's a great paying job but that's all you'll have...money. MIP isn't good anymore and raises aren't good. New ctr mgrs aren't making what a driver makes let alone an on car. No way are they going to give that driver more than the 85k he made as a driver. Dream. On. and if it's not an ops job you can slash that even more. That all goes into cost and we're all about pleasing the stockholders. They're trying to get rid of the long time employees making a lot. Please. I tried to prevent someone from making a huge mistake. No way do I believe if you didn't HAVE to be here that you would be here. Everyone I work with twitches all day long and looks like they're one nasty conf call away from the big one. Sounds wonderful doesn't it?

Braman55

My conclusion is that he is so naive, stupid(or both).....

The only stupidity here is your own! Did you read all the post? Do know the facts before you choose to make that statement? The FACTS are you want to retire... I CAN retire! Like I said in previous post if its. It what I want I can become a sub teacher or even better a Walmart greeter. I take exception to some one trying to belittle me or my intellgience. Read the facts.. They're laid out like a map.

trixie

Too many people here have too many similar experiences for it to be a coincidence. It is not a better job than the one you have. You can't call in sick without being berated, no raises, poor MIP, vacations are frequently denied at the last minute, make all the plans you want but no one cares if you have to be at a ball game or on a cruise. You have to stay. You. Have. To. Stay. Your management coworkers don't want to cover so you can leave and they stay. Huh uh. Calls all night at home or on your cell. You're never away from work. This is the last I say on this topic. Just remember we told you so.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Supe job sounds awesome !!!! Where do I sign up ??? LSD take the next bid and take a combo job,,a little less money,, a lot less stress! By being in the Bldng all day / night ..you will get a better feel of On /Car or Twi, Pre load sups jobs,,then decide !!! Wha=t ever you do,do for yourself and family,but a year or two away from p/car may help !!

Braman55

Actually, just bid on some combo jobs. You may be right! I don't think my price would be met for supervision. I would want between 1700 and 1800 a week. I'm close to 50 hours a week route now. A combo job might be what the doctor ordered.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
This is an invalid argument on so many fronts. The family in management is no worse than anything in driving. I have read this several times and it still doesn't work. It's all the same! Just like driving, I manage to do my route better than the next guy on days I need to get off early. In management when I need the time I'll find it and get it!
REALLY???
well then you've decided,, i implore you to come back in a few weeks and give us a update,, if you get chosen,, seems your indecisive so im betting you'll get looked over