16 year vet deciding between staying PT or going FT

daxnalyd

What possible reason would I have to go FT when I'm top rate with air driving, top seniority moving trailers, financially stable, a wife who doesn't particularly want me to drive FT. Are there any rumors pertaining to the new contract that would hurt me if I did decide to go FT a year or so down the road?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
What possible reason would I have to go FT when I'm top rate with air driving, top seniority moving trailers, financially stable, a wife who doesn't particularly want me to drive FT. Are there any rumors pertaining to the new contract that would hurt me if I did decide to go FT a year or so down the road?
no , if your comfortable then stay where your at

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Pension maybe?
Otherwise, you sell your soul when you accept a friend/T Driver's job.

Box Ox

What possible reason would I have to go FT when I'm top rate with air driving, top seniority moving trailers, financially stable, a wife who doesn't particularly want me to drive FT.

Stay PT. If you've got a good thing going in PT, you might massively regret going FT delivery and becoming lock, stock and barrel owned by the Company. Especially if your wife is happy as-is.

Like @Old Man Jingles said, feeders is a good option if your location offers feeder bids.

You will have lower seniority peipeo passing you up if they take a bid and you don't.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
If you have a good full time job, being a part time air driver at ups on top rate is basically just stealing money every Friday.

john chesney

You have no reason to go full time. Don’t blow up the good situation you have right now

PT Car Washer

In less then 10 years you could retire with a monthly pension for life. Go FT and you basically start over and lose most of the PT pension you have built up unless you plan on working till 65.

tUCKsEDO

I am in the exact same boat. I am going on 15 years, and I am completely content where I am at. I work fulltime as a manager at another company. I soley work at UPS for the bennies that support my wife and two kids. The money I make doesn't even get touched. I understand I work 14 hour days, but I make almost as much as a driver, and I sit on my ass 100% of my day in an office before I work the reload. That is why I am confused why so many people bitch and moan who are part time at UPS in regards to a potential strike. Get another job for Christ's sake.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Are there any rumors pertaining to the new contract that would hurt me if I did decide to go FT a year or so down the road?

Wait until the contract is ratified to make a decision.

In less then 10 years you could retire with a monthly pension for life. Go FT and you basically start over and lose most of the PT pension you have built up unless you plan on working till 65.

Even if he stays part-time, he will still take a 6% reduction per year until age 65.

That is why I am confused why so many people bitch and moan who are part time at UPS in regards to a potential strike. Get another job for Christ's sake.

When I was part-time, I worked a full-time construction job during the day then went to UPS.

Had a 3rd job on Saturday night, and did side jobs on Sunday.

Granted.... I got some relief from the weather, from time to time. All the while waiting

for a full-time driving job. That was a long 8 years.

-Bug-

PT Car Washer

Even if he stays part-time, he will still take a 6% reduction per year until age 65.
Guaranteed 25,30 and 35 and out have a defined pension. I run into a former co worker working at one of the state buildings I deliver to. Retired after 30 years PT and she collects a $1450 pension check every month. Now worth $1800 a month minus taxes.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Guaranteed 25,30 and 35 and out have a defined pension.

Let me know, how that works out.

ARTICLE 34

$2,100 for retirement at any age after 35 years of part-time Credited Service
$1,800 for retirement at any age after 30 years of part-time Credited Service

$1,500 for retirement at age 60 with 25 years of part-time Credited Service
$1,250 for retirement at any age with 25 years of part-time Credited Service

(based on $50.00 per year of Credited Service)

(4) The UPS Pension Plan will be governed by the terms of the Plan document.

@PT Car Washer;

If that is all some people aspire too.... have at it.

-Bug-

upschuck

I am in the exact same boat. I am going on 15 years, and I am completely content where I am at. I work fulltime as a manager at another company. I soley work at UPS for the bennies that support my wife and two kids. The money I make doesn't even get touched. I understand I work 14 hour days, but I make almost as much as a driver, and I sit on my ass 100% of my day in an office before I work the reload. That is why I am confused why so many people bitch and moan who are part time at UPS in regards to a potential strike. Get another job for Christ's sake.
Best watch your HOS.

Pizza

Joe Biden is The Big Guy

You can still retire with a partial service pension at any age with combined service credit. 25/30/35

Part Time SPD
part time book.PNG

Full TIME SPD
full tme book.PNG

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
As a 16 year vet, what's your opinion of those once a month flea/tick meds?