2 for one.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
We are instructed by the OMS to enter the same 6 digit shipper number but use 002 for the second set of numbers. ex. 9X9672 002. So scan the first package, right arrow key (or scanning a Del notice does the same thing and I can then write the shipper on the notice to give to OMS that night tied to the stop) then enter the 9 numbers/digits. This gives me credit for the piece count but does not add a seperate stop (dishonestly padding stops is how it was explained to me.)

rod

Retired 22 years
When we first started using a DIAD I had long before given up trying to acheive their impossible goals so if the DIAD wouldn't scan something I would just move on to the next package. At UPS it wasn't worth the effort to fight city hall. They were always right and you were always wrong---you would give a damn and they wouldn't. Avon packages were notorious for having same the tracking numbers.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Do you scan the first one, complete the stop, scan the second and complete that as a duplicate stop?

This shouldn't be done cause it just appears on report as if you delivered the same piece twice. Yes, completeing it won't give an extra stop credit but it also won't show as 2 pcs. with same label.

I scan one and enter shipper # for the other with diff pkg in remarks field.

This is the correct way, @ least as I was told, it shows the delivery has 2 pcs. that have same label.

S

splozi

Why not just let the customer cheat? They've figured something out, good for them. It's not like you're going to benefit from busting them.

Everyone wants to be a hero.

Backlasher

Why not just let the customer cheat? They've figured something out, good for them. It's not like you're going to benefit from busting them.

Everyone wants to be a hero.

Because, It's theft. If you worked retail like an auto store, would you just watch someone pay for an item and walk out the store with another item that they didn't pay for.

Even though our company stresses us out, we have a responsablity to protect our company which is our assets and why we have work.

It's one less reason for UPS to cry about pay rates and "to many routes" when we insure all pieces are payed for.

Johney

I get maybe two times a month this happens. I scan one ,dr then scan the second(Dup stop),dr and put dup tracking in remarks. I don't think it really matters how you scan or deliver it the customer is getting one for free. Unless you bring one back,but when I've asked what to do in this situation I have always been told to deliver the pkg. The likely cause of this is either two pkgs strapped together have come apart or someone in their shipping dept doesn't quite know how to ship multiple pkgs to the same address giving them a separate tracking number. From what i remember of the shipping software(it's been a long time) was that you could easily print a duplicate label for the same address with the same tracking #.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I use to flip a lid over those stupid Avon boxes on preload. The reason I was told it was ok was because they pay by weight. Whatever.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We are instructed by the OMS to enter the same 6 digit shipper number but use 002 for the second set of numbers. ex. 9X9672 002. So scan the first package, right arrow key (or scanning a Del notice does the same thing and I can then write the shipper on the notice to give to OMS that night tied to the stop) then enter the 9 numbers/digits. This gives me credit for the piece count but does not add a seperate stop (dishonestly padding stops is how it was explained to me.)

So basically the 1/10 of a second that you would gain would get eaten anyway by 100 for having to enter the extra digits into the board,writing down the information on the notice and then at nite going into the office and explaining to them what happen(even though the chances are high that they or whoever deals with this in the end will probably enter it wrong or just not care about it. So how does it make you feel to know you work for a company where everything that they don't like turns into an integrity issue..even though they can lie and cheat the system 100x more than the worst hourly...feels pretty good doesn't it.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Because, It's theft. If you worked retail like an auto store, would you just watch someone pay for an item and walk out the store with another item that they didn't pay for.

Even though our company stresses us out, we have a responsablity to protect our company which is our assets and why we have work.

It's one less reason for UPS to cry about pay rates and "to many routes" when we insure all pieces are payed for.

they will cut out routes regardless of if every piece is paid for or not....if they can spend 7 billion for tnt they have no reason to cry wolf about profitability, and no reason to have any takebacks in the next contract.

Backlasher

So basically the 1/10 of a second that you would gain would get eaten anyway by 100 for having to enter the extra digits into the board,writing down the information on the notice and then at nite going into the office and explaining to them what happen(even though the chances are high that they or whoever deals with this in the end will probably enter it wrong or just not care about it. So how does it make you feel to know you work for a company where everything that they don't like turns into an integrity issue..even though they can lie and cheat the system 100x more than the worst hourly...feels pretty good doesn't it.

I don't like it.

There is an integrity issue in the way that we don't have proper time allowance & have late runs with bad time allowances trying to push us to skip methodes such as this and safety methodes & lunch skippers!!

There is an integrity issue as far as I C in how dispatch and blown out routes are in and the day of clocking out @ a decent time like 5:30-6 is out the window but we should still worry bout servicing and also kep the shippers in check with dup labels.

Time is ticking, on 2013. Focus on time allowance and overdispatch and cut routes for this coming contract so we can all have a little integrity and dignaty !!!!

Till then we should still do our part and not let shippers ship dup. labels. In all truth, these things should be addressed b.s. it's even on our truck !!!!

These issues should superseed pay raises. It would be better to have more personal time then to have over time & lecture on time allowance then more $. $32 hr is good and who with a budgeted mind needs the O.T. anyways!!!

I want more then to just feed my family. I'd like to C them as well b4 they move out and get married!!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I don't like it.

There is an integrity issue in the way that we don't have proper time allowance & have late runs with bad time allowances trying to push us to skip methodes such as this and safety methodes & lunch skippers!!

There is an integrity issue as far as I C in how dispatch and blown out routes are in and the day of clocking out @ a decent time like 5:30-6 is out the window but we should still worry bout servicing and also kep the shippers in check with dup labels.

Time is ticking, on 2013. Focus on time allowance and overdispatch and cut routes for this coming contract so we can all have a little integrity and dignaty !!!!

Till then we should still do our part and not let shippers ship dup. labels. In all truth, these things should be addressed b.s. it's even on our truck !!!!

These issues should superseed pay raises. It would be better to have more personal time then to have over time & lecture on time allowance then more $. $32 hr is good and who with a budgeted mind needs the O.T. anyways!!!

I want more then to just feed my family. I'd like to C them as well b4 they move out and get married!!!

The old timers even talk about back in the day how the allowances were rigged on some of the routes. I use to make 1 hr bonus on a route that I use to do all the time as a cut driver now that route is mine and Im doing more stops more pieces picked up and delivered and more miles and Im 1 hour over and I feel Im moving faster now than I ever was back in the day on that route...and I NEVER sort my route now, where before i did for a couple minutes a day....its ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. Someday someone is going to get fed up with the numbers and attempt to sue over it....there is a MAJOR integrity problem with them.

DS

Fenderbender
Because the shipper is cheating UPS.
This may be true in some cases,but I believe it's more a combination of customer ineptness,
and poor software design on ups's part.I had a 10 piece shipment awhile back with the same
1Z # on every pkg.I do what over does. I scan one and add the additional ones with the DUP 1Z
in the remarks .
I don't bother telling my sup's, because they have no time to care about silly things like this.
Come to think of it,neither do I.
(indecision...put diad in delivery mode,scan a pkg...look bottom left....REMARKS)

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The real problem with dupe labels is that UPS just doesnt care enough about it to do anything to fix it. Same old bandaid approch mentioned by everyone. NOT one person asked how these pkgs make it through intial sort without the label being caught as a dupe, then sorted at destination and scanned in and assigned a PAS label (again) without being detected.

Why hasnt UPS figured out a way to catch these shipper thieves in the sort process? How does the system allow itself to assign a pas label to a duplicate label in the first place? Why isnt the dupe caught, and a new 1z assigned to the pkg and the customer charged? Regardless of whether or not they were banded together and separated, once that happened, they are two pkgs. Banded pkgs are NOT allowed in our system in the first place, but NOBODY has the balls to tell AVON to stop doing it.

There are many shipper cheats in our system and rather than find them, UPS would rather waste its time worrying about 2 minutes between stops.

The most common types of cheats with multiple labels are multi pkgs going to the same address, nobody checks them begining with the pu driver and continuing to the delivery driver where "They" have to deal with it.

IF revenue is such a hot issue, then maybe the IE geeks can figure out a way to detect this problem at the pickup origin or at origin point at hub and correct it then. Until then, we will continue to place bandaids on a million dollar cut.

Peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I had a particular case on my route where a shipper was sending out 20 pkgs a day. I did the pu and noticed the end of day count was off or missing. The customer gave me a rash of crap about asking for it and even called in a complaint saying I was rude. I WAS.

When this continued, with NO HELP from my supervisors (because the customer is always right B.S.).... I asked my OMS to track one of the pkgs I picked up from that customer.

What we found out was that this customer was preparing shipping labels and printing them, then VOIDING the labels and sending them into our system anyways. WHAT A GREAT WAY TO SAVE MONEY!!!

The shipping labels track with "shipper voided shipping information" followed with "origin scan", "in transit", "out for delivery", "delivered".

TO this day, NO ONE at my hub will address this problem because the shipper screams louder than THEY do.

I decided to do what we all do, "if UPS doesnt care, then i dont care" and I pick them up and say NOTHING.

Peace

TOS