20 Missed, OMS' fault

wily_old_vet

bisongolfer said:
Sometimes no, only air - and sometimes yes. While we try to avoid this at call costs, sometimes we simply don't have anymore options and we pay them appropriately.

Bison-No offense but that is bull. To the best of my knowledge the contract is being violated. UPS has wanted part time ground drivers for year and this is just the newest attempt to circumvent the contract. I know that you are caught in the middle. Hopefully the drivers in your centers will have the stones to challenge this practice.

laborer

In the south we have temporary coverage drivers(TCD) that the company is allowed to use. They make 85% of what fulltimers make.

wily_old_vet

In my area we called them "reg temps" but they worked full time hours at a reduced pay rate, NOT part time hours. This still sounds like a circumvention of the contract but it will be what it will be. Since only one other driver has replied since I brought this up I guess it isn't a big deal.

rngri4

The whole problem with the Dispatch Sup's is that they are being pushed beyond belief to make "stops per car" each and every day, according to the district "pkg" or planned volume as it was explained to me. They have to heavy up people, or they themselves find themselves in danger of termination. Not their fault, but the fault of people at the district level, who have never worked in an operation, but have their framed degrees, and think they can accurately predict volume, when more times than not, they stink at it. The poop rolls downhill though as the saying goes, they aren't the ones written up or documented, it is the Dispatch Sup that is, and these Dispatch Sup's have conference calls every morning to ask why they didn't make each element, most important, stops per car. Not their fault completely, for wanting to keep their jobs, but the responsibility falls on these idiot bean counters that we hire in district level who have no clue, and wouldn't even know how to use a DIAD if they had a week class. They can wipe my butt with their degree, becuase they have no clue. I have my own degree, but I spent my time in the operation, and still work in operation, I am just sick and tired of people always blaming center management when they themselves don't have a clue. Yes, I was in management PT, but am now a driver enjoying a week of vaction!

Hangingon

I really do feel sorry for most of the supes that are ex-drivers. The pressure put on them these days is pretty unreasonable, and everytime they open their mouth about numbers they know they are being hypocritical. I can see why so few hourlies are putting their letter in these days.
The ones like I have that have never done the job, well, lets just say I ignore them and do my job correctly and ignore the messages about my lack of production and lack of company 'spirit'. The big boys have put themselves in this position by trying to squeeze every last penny they can out of our hide and my only response to mgm't is 'brown up, and jump in that extra seat and show me how to make my mar of 30 sphor'. So far all my rides seem to average 2 or 3 sphor less then what I do alone, but that hasn't stopped the constant sniping about my almost 2 hours over every day. I wonder what everyone's balanced scorecard looks like nowadays.

oldngray

nowhere special
pinhead necro2.jpg

PT Car Washer

Today I received two phone calls to cover different areas pick ups. No problem except I am on vacation this week. Things have not changed much in the last nine years.

moldsporh

I think it should and may end in a draw. You did what you could to try to make service on everything but the driver should have sent a message that he would have missed pieces. If the driver didn't disclose he was or did have missed then it may fall on the driver.

It's not rocket science, even though we're over dispatched, we have to communicate service failures or possible service failures.

I'm staying neutral here, I'm not siding with anyone.....just going on the information provided.

Dr.Brownz

Bisongolfer,
Wouldnt it be something if they just dispatched properly in the AM before people are sent home or laid off.
geeZ what a novel idea. Look up the meaning of dispatch in the dictionary. Its funny.
Wouldnt it be great if they had to stay til all came back at night? Like it used to be. The poor OMS gets the crap, and really has no control. All the blame and none of the glory. They treat it like once its out the door, their job is done, having to be there in the eve, I feel it was done better in the morning. The time to worry about it is then not at 3pm. But enter the OMS, and there is the out.
But then as stated here earlier, they just keep expecting us to kick it up a notch, and git er done, and they just turn a blind eye to how all of us seem to feel. Double what a route should have...happens too much, and everywhere, and no one seems to think its a problem in the big house where this decision is made. When I travel I always make it a point to introduce myself, if I see a driver, and just like in this community it is the same everywhere. I used to love the challenge of a heavy day now and then. Now its an everyday occurance. And I have truly noticed that the only ones held accountable are the drivers, the OMS and the PT sups. They want you to get the blame because they think you are not as important as they are. Your livelihood doesnt matter. Your pride in what you do, doesnt mean a thing. If you couldnt get done what was stuffed in your truck, it must be you, it couldnt be the impossibility of it. But thats the world of UPS now. And stressing the workers seems to be the way to go. Sad they ruin good workers this way.

This post is almost ten years old and its truer than ever