2008 Olympics

M

moreluck

UPS To Sponsor 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing
Wednesday July 27, 9:08 am ET

BEIJING--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 27, 2005--To support its rapidly growing presence in China, UPS announced today that it has been selected as the Official Logistics and Express Delivery Sponsor of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.
The agreement was signed today in Beijing in a ceremony hosted by The Beijing Organizing Committee for the Games of the XXIX Olympiad (BOCOG).

Under the agreement, UPS will provide logistics consultation and management to BOCOG, and assist BOCOG to develop and execute the logistics operating plan for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. UPS also will provide express delivery services to venues during the Games.

The agreement with BOCOG is effective for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games and Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games, the Chinese Olympic Committee, and the Chinese Olympic teams competing in the 2006 Olympic Winter Games and the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

"Our goal is to be the leading global package delivery and logistics company to, from and within China," said David Abney, president, UPS International. "This sponsorship is another important step in strengthening our brand presence in one of the fastest growing markets in the world."

"In light of the rapid growth and continuous expansion of the Chinese sports market, we believe the sponsorship from UPS for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games will allow for even greater contributions to the Olympic Movement and to China's sports. The partnership also will create larger room for UPS's development and additional prospects for the company," said Wang Wei, BOCOG Executive Vice-President and Secretary General.

"We are looking forward to friendly and reciprocal cooperation with UPS," Wang added.

UPS was a global sponsor of the Olympic Games from 1995 to 2000. Abney said that sponsorship played a critical role in supporting the company's rapid expansion around the globe during that period.

UPS was represented at today's ceremony in Beijing by Ken Torok, president, UPS Asia Pacific. "We have learned first hand the significance of the Olympics and also the complexities," said Torok. "Our past Olympic Games support gives UPS critical insights into the complex strategic, security and operational challenges faced by a Games Host Committee. UPS believes that it is distinguished by this experience and looks forward to helping BOCOG stage a great Olympic Games."

UPS began service in China in 1988 and has invested aggressively to grow its business in the country and the region. In 2001, UPS became the first package delivery company to begin direct flights from the U.S. to China and, earlier this year, UPS became the first global delivery company to take direct control of its operations in major metropolitan centers within China. Just this past month, UPS announced plans to begin a domestic air express service within China in 2005 as well as an agreement to build a major air hub in Shanghai by 2007.

In addition, UPS Supply Chain Solutions, the logistics arm of UPS, has opened three new warehouses and freight distribution centers in Shanghai, Suzhou and Futian and is executing plans to open another 20 facilities in major cities over the next two years. UPS Supply Chain Solutions already is operating more than 40 logistics centers in China.

UPS continues to experience strong growth in its China business. For example, in the second fiscal quarter of 2005 ending June 30, UPS's export volume to and from China doubled.

UPS is the world's largest package delivery company and a global leader in supply chain services, offering an extensive range of options for synchronizing the movement of goods, information and funds. Headquartered in Atlanta, Ga., UPS serves more than 200 countries and territories worldwide. UPS's stock trades on the New York Stock Exchange (UPS) and the company can be found on the Web at UPS.com.

Except for historical information contained herein, the statements made in this release constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Such forward-looking statements, including statements regarding the intent, belief or current expectations of UPS and its management regarding the company's strategic directions, prospects and future results, involve certain risks and uncertainties. Certain factors may cause actual results to differ materially from those contained in the forward-looking statements, including economic and other conditions in the markets in which we operate, governmental regulations, our competitive environment, strikes, work stoppages and slowdowns, increases in aviation and motor fuel prices, cyclical and seasonal fluctuations in our operating results, and other risks discussed in the company's Form 10-K and other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which discussions are incorporated herein by reference.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPS, Atlanta
John Flick, 404/828-6346
or
Susan Rosenberg, 404/828-6130

S

sendagain

I think there will be a lot of focus on the Chinese Olympic Games. I think this could be a great way to increase our presence in the area.

I

isdrone

A billion person market? Highest package growth in the world.

Looks like a good time to sponsor the Olympics.

Q

quebec_driver

We were told to return all shirts with the olympic logo last week, I wonder if the right hand knows what the left one is doing

H

hr_guy

then again, the uniforms with the olympic logo have the old UPS logo on them, and they are still trying to phase them out.

S

sendagain

Olympic logo on shirts? We got rid of those years ago out west. Catch up people.

G

gman

I wore an Olympic logo shirt today! I only have one new logo short sleeve shirt. And I still have my first shirt jac with the embroidered UPS. I wore that Monday and got bit by a German Shepard who still has part of my sleeve in his mouth. But I'm keeping it! Fortunately he got more shirt than me. I also have one of my original long sleeve winter shirt from 1977.

W

wornoutupser

Sendagain,
I just turned in my last one this week! The company is just now pushing that here in the South.

S

sendagain

I really miss the old jackets we had when I started driving in 78. I had worn mine until the liner was shredding, then took it to a taylor and had her sew a new lining overtop the old one. I finally had to let it go because it just had too much staining on it. Tossing the jackets on those dirty shelves never did them much good.

G

gman

I wish I had saved more stuff. It would be fun to look at the old pictures from the Big Idea magazine now. It used to be about the employees. The current company magazine is just corporate propaganda. Years ago, I did some artwork for the Big Idea. I did the cover of one of the magazines and drew up the Christmas card the southwest region used to send to all its customers and emplyees.