2023 contract

542thruNthru

Weak Teamsters local 542 got its arse handed to them. Strike backfired.

How did local 25 do on their Republic Strike?

nWo

People act like the Kellogg's strike was a huge victory too. They barely got :censored2:. And the two tier wage stayed in place. Going to take several years just to make up for the lost wages while they were on strike.

542thruNthru

This was the sanitation workers. The company starved out the strikers. Something tough guys here say can't happen. Guess it can.
I know it was sanitation workers Wally. I was on the line many times.

They didn't starve them out. It was a hit piece. What happened was the workers medical coverage was about to end.

The workers were very strong and kept the line even through the holidays. Strikes are hard and members need to be prepared. Everyone thinks that the IBT strike fund will some how pay all their bills. It won't even come close.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

They didn't starve them out. It was a hit piece. What happened was the workers medical coverage was about to end.

The workers were very strong and kept the line even through the holidays. Strikes are hard and members need to be prepared. Everyone thinks that the IBT strike fund will some how pay all their bills. It won't even come close.
They gained what after all that?

All I'm saying striking isn't an automatic win, especially when most live payday to payday. Big trucks are expensive.

Thebrownblob

The international strike fund will definitely not pay anyone’s bills, we also have a local strike fund. That also will not pay your bills. If you’re not saving and prepared it’s going to be unpleasant. Realistically a strike is bad for both sides but sometimes necessary to get the outcome we need. Let’s hope cooler heads and willing negotiators can get this worked out.

542thruNthru

They gained what after all that?

All I'm saying striking isn't an automatic win, especially when most live payday to payday. Big trucks are expensive.
They were offered practically nothing but a signing bonus that equaled $.03 raise a year.

They wanted $6 and got $4.90 over 5 years (about 20% increase in pay) and a additional $.10 an hour into their pension over the previous offer before the strike. They got $1000 to vote yes and many other things like a higher tools and boots allowance.

I agree a strike is never an automatic win but in this case I would say it was. Like always you can't make everyone happy but it was accepted by the membership. Now that they have had a taste of what it's like maybe members will be more prepared and I know that the company will also think twice next time before allowing a strike.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

Who is providing their medical coverage....

Was it under the Company's or the Teamster's plans..?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
20220708_005856-jpg.391281

Fancy cover. UNION DUES DOWN THE DRAIN!

Last edited: