2100 Sunday work.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Just found out the manager is eliminating our 2100 Sunday job. Is reversing the run to get preload boxes moved and will start a relief driver@0330 Monday to shift. If this isn't retaliation then what is? We've had that 2100 Sunday for 9yrs

I'm not sure it is retaliation. They are free to move the schedules around as they please. The only recourse we have if they change our routes by more than an hour is by starting a bump, picking another job where your seniority is above someone else. Sounds like they know they might lose a grievance, and just decided to change the job.

As far as the package car driver losing his double time, who cares if he isn't entitled to it?

And if I read this right, and he was starting at 9PM on Sunday, and he is working a full shift, it seems impossible to me that he is following the law by having 10 hours off before his Monday package car job. I mean, I assume he is at least working 8 hours, which would clock him out at 5AM Monday morning. Which would mean he could start no earlier than 3PM on Monday. How many package car drivers have a weekly start time at 3PM?

This would basically put him in the same position as the OP, preventing him from covering his regular job. Management can't make selective exceptions. Meaning, if they cover the package car driver's job on Monday, that is no different than covering the OP's job on Friday.

It should go by seniority, and I'm guessing this is why management changed the job. That, and they probably realize they would lose a grievance if the OP files it, in addition to paying him back pay for all time worked by the PC driver. That's exactly how I would file, if I were the OP, if I've got the facts right.

Dracula

Mugarolla must be management. Premium pay must be offered to the highest seniority driver first. I played the part of the lower seniority driver that didn't get the dbl time for many years. As far as them having to adjust Friday, that's on them. Sunday is the start of the week and if hours are available seniority prevails. As far as screwing them, your either a troll or an idiot, your choice!

All I can say is different areas have different rules. But even if Sunday is the start of the week for the company, it doesn't apply to your regular job. We have to be able to cover our jobs for the days they are scheduled.

HOWEVER, if the package car driver/cover feeder driver (we don't have this classification where I'm at) cannot cover HIS regular job, then it should go by seniority. Like I say, they can't selectively pick who gets extra work, all things being equal.

willirons

UPSYours
The relief driver isn't scheduled for pkg til Tue AM. What's happening is every Monday they use him to cover sick calls on Monday 2100. That's not really the issue here. It's the fact that your using a relief driver from another center to work out of our building Monday 0900 doing CPU work in his center & ours. My contention is that our driver should be doing that work which would open up Sunday to me

Dracula

OK. Let me explain it to you.

As per the OP, the relief driver that works Sunday is not scheduled to work on Monday, thus, then, meaning that Sunday is not double time. Sunday is scheduled at straight time for this driver.

Also, not being scheduled to work on Monday, means that his schedule is Sunday, then Tuesday-Friday.

He is only scheduled to work 5 days. And yes, the company can always use someone first, regardless of seniority, to do the work on straight time as opposed to OT.

He only gets double time after the fact. He is scheduled for straight time on Sunday, where the OP would be scheduled for double time on Sunday because the OP is scheduled to work on Monday.

The relief driver only gets the double time because he works on his scheduled off day, changing his pay rate for Sunday.

Bottom line, Sunday is "scheduled" for this driver at straight time. Sunday would be scheduled for the OP at double time.

IF, Sun-Mon-off, then Tues-Fri is his regular, bid job, then okay, fine. This assumes he is the only, or highest seniority PC/Feeder cover driver. And unless he is working less than 8 hours, he cannot start before 3PM. I guess that's possible, but it doesn't seem likely, because management wouldn't change the job just because someone raised a fuss about it, unless they know, contractually, they are on shaky ground. Since when does UPS give a spit about ruffling feathers if they know they can.

Dracula

The relief driver isn't scheduled for pkg til Tue AM. What's happening is every Monday they use him to cover sick calls on Monday 2100. That's not really the issue here. It's the fact that your using a relief driver from another center to work out of our building Monday 0900 doing CPU work in his center & ours. My contention is that our driver should be doing that work which would open up Sunday to me

So how does he cover work on Monday after working Sunday, AND get his 10 hours off? There is no way around that...it's federal law.

Not to rain on your parade, but I work in a large hub (400 feeder drivers) and UPS is doing everything they can to shutter as many of the smaller, satellite centers as they can. And we are absorbing many of those jobs. And the small buildings they aren't killing, they are eliminating jobs from those centers.

I'm not trying to bum you out, I'm just telling you what is happening. Our hub is huge, and they have plans to expand. And this is happening in a lot of places. In the big picture, I think it is going to hurt us bad, if the subcontracting they are being allowed to do by our union continues; and maybe it's just me, but it seems like they are working small to big. At the end, they would love nothing more than to have fewer, huge hubs, with subcontractors working hub to hub, IMO.

Maybe that's a dark outlook, and maybe I've gone off-topic (again), but judging from what currently they're doing, and what our toothless International is allowing, it seems like a logical end game from a shareholder POV.

I hope I'm wrong.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

I agree that your center "should" be doing the work, but, contractually, we cannot stop them from using a driver from another center, or hub, to do the work.

Another question. Since this relief driver isn't scheduled for bundles until Tuesday, like I thought, who is, or was, doing the Monday CPU work before they started bringing this guy from the hub?

Who is doing it T-friend?

IF, Sun-Mon-off, then Tues-Fri is his regular, bid job, then okay, fine. This assumes he is the only, or highest seniority PC/Feeder cover driver. And unless he is working less than 8 hours, he cannot start before 3PM. I guess that's possible, but it doesn't seem likely, because management wouldn't change the job just because someone raised a fuss about it, unless they know, contractually, they are on shaky ground. Since when does UPS give a spit about ruffling feathers if they know they can.

Valid points.

Even though UPS doesn't mind ruffling feathers, they also like to take the easy way out.

Since there is now an issue over this Sunday work, UPS just took it out of the equation. Like the analogy I made earlier. Instead of the long drawn out process of trying to fire a driver for screwing up a job, they just move the job to another center or hub. The easy way out.

So how does he cover work on Monday after working Sunday, AND get his 10 hours off? There is no way around that...it's federal law.

Not to rain on your parade, but I work in a large hub (400 feeder drivers) and UPS is doing everything they can to shutter as many of the smaller, satellite centers as they can. And we are absorbing many of those jobs. And the small buildings they aren't killing, they are eliminating jobs from those centers.

I'm not trying to bum you out, I'm just telling you what is happening. Our hub is huge, and they have plans to expand. And this is happening in a lot of places. In the big picture, I think it is going to hurt us bad, if the subcontracting they are being allowed to do by our union continues; and maybe it's just me, but it seems like they are working small to big. At the end, they would love nothing more than to have fewer, huge hubs, with subcontractors working hub to hub, IMO.

Maybe that's a dark outlook, and maybe I've gone off-topic (again), but judging from what currently they're doing, and what our toothless International is allowing, it seems like a logical end game from a shareholder POV.

I hope I'm wrong.

Not just happening at your hub or the OP's center. It is happening nationwide.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Are u saying that feeder has the right to use drivers that aren't part of the center the CPU volume originates from to do that centers CPU pick ups?

Yes. It happens everywhere. Contractually, we cannot stop them.

Now I'm hearing the DM is collapsing our Sunday night work altogether.

People questioning who gets the work, so they took the easy way out and just eliminated it.

Where I'm at, we have a sign up sheet for extra work that goes by seniority. However, we have to be able to cover our regular jobs all week.

As it in in most areas. I'm sure it is probably the same in the OP's center. Hence, my questioning as to whether he is even "available" for the extra work.

This would basically put him in the same position as the OP, preventing him from covering his regular job.

In most areas, Monday is lighter in packages and routes are eliminated and combined. Maybe UPS eliminates the relief/package driver's route on Monday.

Management can't make selective exceptions. Meaning, if they cover the package car driver's job on Monday, that is no different than covering the OP's job on Friday.

There may be no job to cover on Monday, as I said earlier. He also may not have a bid package car job and therefor, not have a job that needs covered.

It is also far easier to cover a package route on Monday than a feeder job on Friday. I see exceptions all the time. The wording following these rulings on exceptions is usually "no precedent set."

It should go by seniority, and I'm guessing this is why management changed the job.

It goes by seniority, and available if it is even extra work. If the relief driver works Sun, then Tue-Fri, the Sunday is not extra work It is part of the relief drivers 5 day guarantee.

That, and they probably realize they would lose a grievance if the OP files it, in addition to paying him back pay for all time worked by the PC driver.

I doubt they would lose the grievance. But I told the OP to file it.

It was easier to get rid of the problem than to try and deal with it. The UPS way.

Last edited:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Seems very wrong but thanks all of u for your input

I think it is wrong also. I think that the centers should do the work within their own area. Problem is, we cannot force them to do it.

UPS can cover their work however they want to, with whomever they want to. Grieved and lost. Multiple times.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Just happy I'll reach my per 80 next year. Probably hang around another 4-5 but knowing I could leave will change my perspective

That will be a good feeling. Knowing that you can walk out the door any day. It will make that last 4 or 5 years a cake walk.

And if they put that Sunday job back in, it won't hurt to grieve it. But don't expect too much.

Edit. I never told you not to grieve it. I just told you why you would not win it.

Last edited:

willirons

UPSYours
It's frustrating. My son whom is 13 plays travel baseball. As a father it frustrates me that I miss so much because of work. I could care less about the dbl time but having Friday off is invaluable to me. We have no Sun-Thur job. Pkg drivers work till 6:30-900 at night. I miss so much because of this BS! At this point in my career I figured I'd be able to be an active participant in my kids life. UPS could care less about there employees.

willirons

UPSYours
I've always worked Sundays when available, but now they're finding away to circumvent seniority. No longer will I be the guy that works on his vacation because there hurting for drivers. Sorry to vent, but just really pissed off!

Dracula

I'm a cover driver, and I've always liked SUN-THURS jobs. It's nice getting off Friday morning. Most guys here don't like going in on Sunday nights, but I can get done what I need to by mid-afternoon and still get enough sleep. I never liked working Fridays nights.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I've always worked Sundays when available, but now they're finding away to circumvent seniority. No longer will I be the guy that works on his vacation because there hurting for drivers. Sorry to vent, but just really :censored2: off!

Vent all day long. Get the stress out.

I am just surprised it took you this long to realize that UPS does not care about you. You are only an :censored2: in the seat. Especially in feeders, there are 1000 people waiting to take your place.

The only thing they care about is money. You can work through your vacations, work on weekends, work on holidays, etc. and they will still not care about you.

They want everything from you to make them money and give you nothing in return over and above what the contract entails you to.

Friday night high school football is pretty much out of the question whether I work packages or feeders. Either way, cannot make the games. And UPS could care less.