22.4 Layoff

freehoodies

If you try to skip those steps and go straight to a grievance it will get thrown out.

Correct me if im wrong, but filing a grievance is typically the second step right?

1. Employee brings up issue to management

2. If employee doesn’t agree with managements handling of said issue, he files a grievance

3. Steward investigates grievance, gets more info. If there is a good basis for the grievance, steward discusses it with management during their weekly/bi monthly meeting

4. If still unsatisfied, it goes up the chain beyond the understanding of us mere mortals

Thebrownblob

I would be perfectly happy with that, and I predict management would fold far before step 12 because the contract is on our side.

The problem is the union isn’t even doing step 1. The impression we get is that our union representatives are pushovers. I don’t think we need to be completely antagonistic to management, but as it stands we are being walked all over.

Im sure some centers/locals are handling things better than others. And from some stories I read here I can see we are definitely not the worst off. But 3-4 months of 10-20 drivers being even partially laid off is alot of money.

And then we gotta hear customers congratulate us on our contract and ask how we enjoy our new air conditioned trucks 😂
We’re definitely doing step one, three years ago almost $300,000 worth of 9.5 paid out. Last year if we had 10,000 I would be surprised. The company got the message.

Thebrownblob

Correct me if im wrong, but filing a grievance is typically the second step right?

1. Employee brings up issue to management

2. If employee doesn’t agree with managements handling of said issue, he files a grievance

3. Steward investigates grievance, gets more info. If there is a good basis for the grievance, steward discusses it with management during their weekly/bi monthly meeting

4. If still unsatisfied, it goes up the chain beyond the understanding of us mere mortals
It’s not too hard to understandyour grievance may or may not have merit based on the facts of the case, but once it goes past the local level, a panel decides what happens next. If deadlocked at that level, it goes to JAC. Then nationals, if it makes it that far. Along the way any of those steps there could be an agreement reached, or they could refer it back so the parties can work it out.

What I’m trying to say is it takes a very long time. Because there’s also postponements and such things that can happen. I wish it wasn’t exactly like that, but this is the procedure.

Does the company take advantage of it? Absolutely. Does the union take advantage of it when it benefits them? Absolutely.

If it makes it far enough for an arbitrator, I’m pretty sure both sides figure they could lose, but one side is really not as worried.

Pullman Brown

It’s not too hard to understandyour grievance may or may not have merit based on the facts of the case, but once it goes past the local level, a panel decides what happens next. If deadlocked at that level, it goes to JAC. Then nationals, if it makes it that far. Along the way any of those steps there could be an agreement reached, or they could refer it back so the parties can work it out.

What I’m trying to say is it takes a very long time. Because there’s also postponements and such things that can happen. I wish it wasn’t exactly like that, but this is the procedure.

Does the company take advantage of it? Absolutely. Does the union take advantage of it when it benefits them? Absolutely.

If it makes it far enough for an arbitrator, I’m pretty sure both sides figure they could lose, but one side is really not as worried.

The grievance industrial complex!

Brownwind

File as many grievance as you can, see what sticks, and buy pizza to try and brainwash your co workers! Lmfaoooooo, and now that they’re in charge, they aren’t cool enough anymore, and there’s new anti Teamster Teamsters. I hope they all burn in a fire!
We’re a united local. We didn’t write the book but we will follow it. Just follow the rules it’s not that difficult.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
central states
Well, I stand corrected. I believe you go by company seniority when it comes to bumping PT for work. You guys have alot of lay-off language and your best bet is to call your local. Article 3 of your supplement has layoff language if you want to look at it yourself.
There are a whole bunch of Central States guys on this site, one of them will be along shortly to answer better than I can.

oldngray

nowhere special
Well, I stand corrected. I believe you go by company seniority when it comes to bumping PT for work. You guys have alot of lay-off language and your best bet is to call your local. Article 3 of your supplement has layoff language if you want to look at it yourself.
There are a whole bunch of Central States guys on this site, one of them will be along shortly to answer better than I can.
@Wally is the expert on Central States

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
i am a T-S bid/EAM air driver.i am also the top seniority employee in a bldg of 350+ employees.how safe am i from being displaced by a junior full time or p/t employee whose position was eliminated fully or partially ?

Have you read the contract, talked with your Steward, or Local Union ?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

542thruNthru

Here’s all the new language.

And here’s the old language, to cross reference with.
giphy-28.gif

HarryWarden

can they bump higher seniority p/t positions or do the bump from bottom of list up.
No, it goes by company senority, not full time/part time seniority

If you have worked for the company longer than a full time employee, the full time employee can not bump you, you have higher seniority