22.4 to RPCD

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by mrbrowntown, May 13, 2020.

1. mrbrowntown

mrbrowntown New Member

im 22.4 and want to get to RPCD. how do i do this? there is nothing in the contract that i can find about how to go about it. ive heard some rumors that 22.4 could phase out RPCDs. that way they have more control over start times and weekends, and no 9.5 protection. is this true? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. We have a guaranteed amount of RPCD drivers, you just have to wait your turn, it may be a while

3. mrbrowntown

mrbrowntown New Member

is there a list i need to get on? and if so how/when can i get on this list

4. Put your time and son are that's as all you can do

5. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

You said you looked in the contract. What region are you?

6. Brown Biscuit

Brown Biscuit Blind every day

Wait for us all to retire son, best contract ever. Now go on and cover my heavy pickup thanks a ton in advance for playing k byee.

7. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

OP: ask your steward where the bid lists are posted in your center.

You are correct in that, over time, 22.4's will replace RPCD's. It won't happen overnight but it will eventually happen unless the union agrees to wage concessions to keep RPCD's as a job classification.

8. mrbrowntown

mrbrowntown New Member

local 177

9. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

Everyone I see these types of questions or related threads I think “Yep, that’s another one that didn’t vote on the contract.”

10. Misthios

Misthios I love my job. Don't you?

They will pit up a bid sheet as rpcd positions become available. Just gotta wait for people to retire. Its a waiting game. We just had 2 of the 22.4 become rpcd. We will have more as a lot of guys are retiring this year. Just gotta be patient.

11. Up In Smoke

Up In Smoke Active Member

At the time the contract was ratified, our center was given an agreed upon protected RPCD number. That number was 80% of the current RPCD number. So, with that knowledge a 22.4 cannot become a RPCD until we reach that protected number. For example, 200 RPCD drivers at ratification day would contractually guarantee 160 future RPCD positions. A bid sheet for a RPCD position wouldn't go up until the 160th seniority employee leaves. Local agreements obviously can supersede.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Up In Smoke

Up In Smoke Active Member

My bad, 75% are protected, sorry for the wrong info.

13. RolloTony Brown Town

RolloTony Brown Town Active Member

go feeders instead.

14. mrbrowntown

mrbrowntown New Member

i hear feeders take forever so in the meantime i wanna make the top rate and avid weekends... if i put name on list for both, and get accepted for one will i stay on the lost for the other or would i start the process over again

15. RolloTony Brown Town

get your CDL. You’ll get there faster than you think.

16. UpstateNYUPSer

Why should he spend the $5K or whatever it is to get his CDL when he can just be patient and let UPS pay for it?

17. mrbrowntown

mrbrowntown New Member

i have a CDL i guess its time to get on that list

18. UpstateNYUPSer

You have your CDL? Then why the hell are you a 22.4?

19. BrownBaggage

BrownBaggage Member

Which hub do you work out of?

20. RolloTony Brown Town

Theres still time. Go to your local feeder office if you work at one of the hubs. I’m not sure which hubs in NJ are covered by local 177, meanj, parnj, edinj, sadnj, or crbnj??

just go introduce yourself to a manager and tell them you already have your CDL A and you’ll be driving in feeders by June.