22.4 to RPCD

mrbrowntown

im 22.4 and want to get to RPCD. how do i do this? there is nothing in the contract that i can find about how to go about it. ive heard some rumors that 22.4 could phase out RPCDs. that way they have more control over start times and weekends, and no 9.5 protection. is this true? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

im 22.4 and want to get to RPCD. how do i do this? there is nothing in the contract that i can find about how to go about it. ive heard some rumors that 22.4 could phase out RPCDs. that way they have more control over start times and weekends, and no 9.5 protection. is this true? any advice would be greatly appreciated.
We have a guaranteed amount of RPCD drivers, you just have to wait your turn, it may be a while

542thruNthru

You said you looked in the contract. What region are you?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OP: ask your steward where the bid lists are posted in your center.

You are correct in that, over time, 22.4's will replace RPCD's. It won't happen overnight but it will eventually happen unless the union agrees to wage concessions to keep RPCD's as a job classification.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?

They will pit up a bid sheet as rpcd positions become available. Just gotta wait for people to retire. Its a waiting game. We just had 2 of the 22.4 become rpcd. We will have more as a lot of guys are retiring this year. Just gotta be patient.

Up In Smoke

At the time the contract was ratified, our center was given an agreed upon protected RPCD number. That number was 80% of the current RPCD number. So, with that knowledge a 22.4 cannot become a RPCD until we reach that protected number. For example, 200 RPCD drivers at ratification day would contractually guarantee 160 future RPCD positions. A bid sheet for a RPCD position wouldn't go up until the 160th seniority employee leaves. Local agreements obviously can supersede.

RolloTony Brown Town

go feeders instead.

RolloTony Brown Town

i have a CDL i guess its time to get on that list

Theres still time. Go to your local feeder office if you work at one of the hubs. I’m not sure which hubs in NJ are covered by local 177, meanj, parnj, edinj, sadnj, or crbnj??

just go introduce yourself to a manager and tell them you already have your CDL A and you’ll be driving in feeders by June.