22.4 two year commitment dilemma

Chriatian

So I just finished Integrad and will be filling an RTD position for peak season if I qualify. HR pulled me aside and told me that I am next in line to fill a 22.4 position and that if I want to change positions, I can since I haven’t actually started the 30 day qualification process for the RTD position. While I was questioning her about the position, she informed me that once you get a 22.4 position, that you’re locked into it for 2 years. That means that If an RPCD position becomes available (which they will in my hub) 22.4s won’t be able to bid for those positions until their two years are up. If that’s the case, I think I’d be better off passing on the 22.4 and waiting for the RPCD positions to become available since I’m 3rd in line with 10 guys retiring next year. I have read the contract where I think that the commitment info would be and I can’t find it anywhere. Has anyone else heard of this commitment requirement and if so, am I doing the right thing.
Thanks

So I just finished Integrad and will be filling an RTD position for peak season if I qualify. HR pulled me aside and told me that I am next in line to fill a 22.4 position and that if I want to change positions, I can since I haven’t actually started the 30 day qualification process for the RTD position. While I was questioning her about the position, she informed me that once you get a 22.4 position, that you’re locked into it for 2 years. That means that If an RPCD position becomes available (which they will in my hub) 22.4s won’t be able to bid for those positions until their two years are up. If that’s the case, I think I’d be better off passing on the 22.4 and waiting for the RPCD positions to become available since I’m 3rd in line with 10 guys retiring next year. I have read the contract where I think that the commitment info would be and I can’t find it anywhere. Has anyone else heard of this commitment requirement and if so, am I doing the right thing.
Thanks
You have to find out how many RPCD they have to have. Those jobs may not be immediately be replaced when they retire

Chriatian

One guy retired about a month ago and an air driver just started to qualify for his position. I’m not sure if this helps. Almost all our drivers are getting 10+ hours a day and have been since the beginning of summer so I’d think they are filling them as soon as possible.

542thruNthru

Thanks

There is no 2 year commitment. What region are you in?

Box Ox

I also see no two year language for 22.4.
There is no 2 year commitment. What region are you in?

r2fGAV6.jpg

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Thanks

sounds to me like hr is blowing smoke up your arse

Box Ox

I think it’s the Southeast region. We’re in South Carolina

Sounds to me like the Company is just trying to take advantage of a weak RTW state union local and its members. Down south, neither tend to GAF enough to push back against the Company on much of anything.

If you want the truth from HR - or just unlimited golf, breadsticks and limo rides, you’ve gotta be in a stronger local like @542thruNthru .

In the short term it may suck, there's no doubting that. The 22.4 schedule being crap and pay being less than RPCD. That being said, as for the long term it may be wise to just suck it up and move forward with 22.4, you will earn your FT seniority date earlier and in a few years be ahead of those 3 or so drivers that passed on 22.4 to jump straight into RPCD. Ultimately you should end up in a similar position a few years down the road. Kind of a tough decision since you are so close to being able to just wait it out for a regular driving position.

WTFm8

Seniority is EVERYTHING in this job.

I’m not aware of any 1-2 year commitment except for ‘disqualifying yourself’ from driving.

22.4 is FT and goes on same FT seniority list for vacation/bidding of jobs. Now, the 2 hubs near me are ONLY HIRING 22.4s till they get to he 25% threshold. Once they do, and another person is needed, they’ll have to create a RPCD position. At this point your seniority prevails and if you were highest 22.4 you’d get the position.

Chriatian

I’m not aware of any 1-2 year commitment except for ‘disqualifying yourself’ from driving.

22.4 is FT and goes on same FT seniority list for vacation/bidding of jobs. Now, the 2 hubs near me are ONLY HIRING 22.4s till they get to he 25% threshold. Once they do, and another person is needed, they’ll have to create a RPCD position. At this point your seniority prevails and if you were highest 22.4 you’d get the position.

I would understand but my hub just hired an air driver into the RPCD position and not the most senior 22.4.
Man, I feel like this shouldn’t be that confusing. Seems like there are loopholes and if you know what they are can take advantage of them and if you don’t know what they are you can be taken advantage of.

542thruNthru

I would understand but my hub just hired an air driver into the RPCD position and not the most senior 22.4.
Man, I feel like this shouldn’t be that confusing. Seems like there are loopholes and if you know what they are can take advantage of them and if you don’t know what they are you can be taken advantage of.

Depends on your supplemental language.

Dr.Brownz

Thanks

JuST SAY NO

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
Talk to your steward or ba about this two year commitment. I'm covered under the central region and I've seen no mention of two years or at least have not heard of that. Don't let them just sell you some B's.

The 22.4 will have their own vacation list, separate from rpcd.