22.4 vs Utility Driver

Jeiio

Hiya everyone - just looking for some advice on what path I should take.

I'm currently working preload and just started training for my role as a utility driver / cover driver for my warehouse and enjoying it so far! Our warehouse also has bids for 22.4 positions right now so that's something I have been considering. My plan is to eventually become a RPCD.

From what I understand: utility drivers start at a higher pay for the days that you drive than 22.4 does. Also if and when you choose to become 22.4 down the line (however long that position even exists at UPS) you keep that same utility pay until you hit full progression after 4 years under current contract. The flexibility is also nice for if you don't want to work too many hours except for during peak.

However...we have a new contract coming up in about a year and I've heard 22.4 is going to be eliminated and they will be grandfathered into RPCDs (I could be wrong that). So I'm not sure whether I should stick to utility or head straight into 22.4 with the lower pay hanging on the promise that I'll be bumped to RPCD in a year keeping my progression.

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks

542thruNthru

I'm currently working preload and just started training for my role as a utility driver / cover driver for my warehouse and enjoying it so far! Our warehouse also has bids for 22.4 positions right now so that's something I have been considering. My plan is to eventually become a RPCD.

From what I understand: utility drivers start at a higher pay for the days that you drive than 22.4 does. Also if and when you choose to become 22.4 down the line (however long that position even exists at UPS) you keep that same utility pay until you hit full progression after 4 years under current contract. The flexibility is also nice for if you don't want to work too many hours except for during peak.

However...we have a new contract coming up in about a year and I've heard 22.4 is going to be eliminated and they will be grandfathered into RPCDs (I could be wrong that). So I'm not sure whether I should stick to utility or head straight into 22.4 with the lower pay hanging on the promise that I'll be bumped to RPCD in a year keeping my progression.

Lol, sorry man but this line made me laugh...

"The flexibility is also nice for if you don't want to work too many hours except for during peak."

You will not get a choice. You'll be working when they say for as long as they say.

Is utility/cover a "PT" position in your area. If so does your area promote by FT first? If so you could be waiting for RPCD for a long time if people take 22.4 before you even if they haven't been with the company long.

Though it is hard to pass up that higher red circled rate.

Jeiio

Lol, sorry man but this line made me laugh...

"The flexibility is also nice for if you don't want to work too many hours except for during peak."

You will not get a choice. You'll be working when they say for as long as they say.

Is utility/cover a "PT" position in your area. If so does your area promote by FT first? If so you could be waiting for RPCD for a long time if people take 22.4 before you even if they haven't been with the company long.

Though it is hard to pass up that higher red circled rate.
By flexibility I mean if I want to work inside doing preload vs driving doing longer days. Plenty of utility drivers in my warehouse just stayed in that position because they had the option to refuse to drive and just stay inside doing preload for a few hours a day instead of driving the whole day :)

Yes, utility is a PT position. So I would only have PT seniority instead of the FT I would get as a 22.4. Which is one of the reasons I am considering 22.4 ASAP for the seniority into RPCD.

Never pass up a full time bid

Staydryitsraining

Get your punches as a cover driver before going 22.4. Do whatever that takes. I believe you can decline to work a couple of times before they completely take you off the road. I'd guess your building needs drivers though and unless your working somewhere with no better options they probably need drivers so it won't matter how many times you turn down driving for the day.

By flexibility I mean if I want to work inside doing preload vs driving doing longer days. Plenty of utility drivers in my warehouse just stayed in that position because they had the option to refuse to drive and just stay inside doing preload for a few hours a day instead of driving the whole day :)

Yes, utility is a PT position. So I would only have PT seniority instead of the FT I would get as a 22.4. Which is one of the reasons I am considering 22.4 ASAP for the seniority into RPCD.
Since when did we start having PT ground delivery drivers?

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
UTILITY DRIVER =
D1311882-E5B6-41B1-BC36-92B38A97E898.jpeg

RPCD=
228BE9B8-558A-48F6-995D-9C91B5C99283.jpeg

ITS KINDA LIKE THAT …YA CATCH DRIFT HOMIE?
🧔‍♂️✊

Jeiio

Get your punches as a cover driver before going 22.4. Do whatever that takes. I believe you can decline to work a couple of times before they completely take you off the road. I'd guess your building needs drivers though and unless your working somewhere with no better options they probably need drivers so it won't matter how many times you turn down driving for the day.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. We have a couple utility drivers that rarely ever drive but still kept on as utility so I don't think they'd ever take me off. I read through the contract and apparently if you run 60 days as a cover driver you automatically qualify for any FT driving position so no 30 day qualifying period required.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. We have a couple utility drivers that rarely ever drive but still kept on as utility so I don't think they'd ever take me off. I read through the contract and apparently if you run 60 days as a cover driver you automatically qualify for any FT driving position so no 30 day qualifying period required.
Not necessarily you but the highest PT who signs a FT intent sheet.