Peets01

I’ve been working inside the building taking part time work doing midnight and pre load shift with a half hour lunch in between shifts. Here in my building & center there’s no work for us to be doing on road so this is our only way to get our guaranteed 8. This is now my fourth week and this is getting to the point where I’m losing my mind lol. Having to sleep during the day all week then go into the building to work from 12:00am-8:30am, then change my sleep schedule Friday and be up and ready to go in by 9:00am for Saturday to deliver. We’re tired of this and there’s about 14 22.4 drivers from my center alone laid off doing this. My local union has said they expect things to go back to normal around Easter. Any good news?

Last edited:
I’ve been working inside the building taking part time work doing midnight and pre load shift with a half hour lunch in between shifts. Here in my building & center there’s no work for us to be doing on road so this is our only way to get our guaranteed 8. This is now my fourth week and this is getting to the point where I’m losing my mind lol. Having to sleep during the day all week then go into the building to work from 12:00am-8:30am, then change my sleep schedule Friday and be up and ready to go in by 9:00am for Saturday to deliver. We’re tired of this and there’s about 14 22.4 drivers from my center alone laid off doing this. My local union has said they expect things to go back to normal around Easter. Any good news?
It always gets slow this time of the year
Usually once May hits and vacations kick in the work is pretty steady for the rest of the year

542thruNthru

I can't help but kind of laugh about this stuff. All we've heard from every 22.4 is how they should be paid the same because all they do is drive. Now they're in the building performing the other side of their job for a much higher pay than a preloader and they are freaking out! Lol

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Be glad you’re working. Seriously. I know it sucks but it could be worse, no work at all. It will get back to being steady in a month or so.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I really don't understand this company, they swear they are layoffs, my timecard online is completely screwed up, except they are honoring 22.4 classification pay AND they are keeping the local MRA wage raise for FT employees. Without ever really notifying me they then paid almost 2.5 hours in overage to satisfy the 1.5 hours between shifts, some of these paid hours I was not even in the building.

This is basically the way 22.4 was intended to be used. I am absolutely not complaining except for the aggressive posturing by the company/union on whether it's a layoff or not. The schedule is now fairly consistent, pay is almost exactly the same, what more could you ask for?

Last little note on this situation: the company here may have agreed to these provisions in order to satisfy supervisors working during last week's snow storm in a game of give-and-take.

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

I really don't understand this company, they swear they are layoffs, my timecard online is completely screwed up, except they are honoring 22.4 classification pay AND they are keeping the local MRA wage raise for FT employees. Without ever really notifying me they then paid almost 2.5 hours in overage to satisfy the 1.5 hours between shifts, some of these paid hours I was not even in the building.

Really drives home the "don't care how they code you as long as your paycheck is correct" mindset except now I have to grab a steward and cover my ass on their unexpected generosity.

Oh and FYI: this is basically the way 22.4 was intended to be used. I am absolutely not complaining except for the aggressive posturing by the company/union on whether it's a layoff or not. The schedule is now fairly consistent (except for the whole split-shift question), pay is almost exactly the same, what more could you ask for?
Yep they’re paying the MRA here as well so most of those 22.4 aren’t even losing money. I don’t know how it helps the company.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
My advice based on my Preload years for peak season when we did like 12:30 to 10:30 is to sleep 3-5 hours in the morning after work and another 3-5 hours before the next shift.
No good way around it, I think I went insane for 2 or so years before I finally felt comfortable just sitting down to sleep at a completely random hour. That I can fall back on past experience is really the only reason I can tolerate it. I personally do a hybrid of both, getting 6-7 hours of sleep on some days and then splitting it 4 and 5 on others depending on how I feel.

And just remember that the company still is offering these kind of like layoffs, as much as we are supposed to rah-rah and take as much money as possible, if you really can't tolorate it, just ask for some days off Tuesday through Friday.

Last edited:

Tortuga

I AM THE MiLKMAN
Damn must be nice. I’m a 224 still doing about 50 hours a week. Supe didn’t even want to let me use an option day for a root canal I need to have done.

Nah
Damn must be nice. I’m a 224 still doing about 50 hours a week. Supe didn’t even want to let me use an option day for a root canal I need to have done.
As long as you follow the rules with the advance notice and such, and no one with seniority over you already asked for that day, I don't see how he can say no.

I'd just do it on a Monday personally.

Thebrownblob

As long as you follow the rules with the advance notice and such, and no one with seniority over you already asked for that day, I don't see how he can say no.

I'd just do it on a Monday personally.
Exactly. I’ve worked here 30 years I’ve never had. A supervisor who could dictate to me if I could takeoff or not.