29 Minutes

vantexan

We had to sign a sheet a couple of days ago stating we will do everything in our power to eliminate 29 minutes from our work day. Anyone else see this?

Damon77

Take your stops per hour, divide i half, and leave that many stops on the belt when you leave the building.

newgirl

Haven't seen anything like it. Tell them to figure it out for themselves, that's why they make the big bucks.

They are trying to make you responsible for cutting your own hours? LOL

vantexan

Haven't seen anything like it. Tell them to figure it out for themselves, that's why they make the big bucks.

They are trying to make you responsible for cutting your own hours? LOL

Heard a mgr say that some rts' volume has really dropped but they're still getting hours. Why not go after those rts and leave the rest alone?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Haven't seen anything like it. Tell them to figure it out for themselves, that's why they make the big bucks. They are trying to make you responsible for cutting your own hours? LOL
Typical of most managers. Pretty lazy bunch. OSS...totally worthless. How 'bout everybody come in 29 minutes late?

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Typical of most managers. Pretty lazy bunch. OSS...totally worthless.How 'bout everybody come in 29 minutes late?

Hey, why not let management be part of the "team" on this one? Since they have less freight to oversee, and their operation is correspondingly smaller, their salaries should be cut proportionately.

Ricochet1a

I believe what you are experiencing is your Sr. Manager's implementation of the push to eliminate OT - and cut other hours wherever possible.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been getting anecdotal reports of "policy" being implemented at stations, that isn't uniform across the nation. Initially, it appeared to be "rogue" Sr. Managers, doing whatever they felt was necessary to get their numbers up to par. Your report is another instance of what appears to be a rogue Sr. Manager...

I believe what is happening, is that Sr. Managers have been given wide latitude to take whatever steps they see fit (tailored to their local conditions), to achieve the cuts desired by Memphis. Given the thought processes of many Sr. Managers leave much to be desired - I think you are seeing what your Senior has cooked up on his/her own.

Handing a wage employee something to sign stating that they'll "try to cut 29 minutes off their daily time", is just reeking of potential litigation liability for Express.

So what is the "penalty" for failure to shave 29 minutes off of one's day.... a performance reminder??

What if some boneheaded Courier actually tried to cut 29 minutes off their day, and ends up getting in an accident? There would be multi-million dollar liability there against Express. Yes, the Courier would be at fault, but that signed document would also place Express FIRMLY at fault too (they couldn't pass off the blame solely on the Courier).

Then if push came to shove, Express would place that Sr. Manager in the cross hairs for coming up with such an insane (and liability ridden) method of attempting to shave hours.

No, I think this is part of a larger pattern going on within Express (since the push to eliminate OT) to have Sr. Managers do whatever they think (with no review from HR or legal apparently) they can do to meet the goals from high above.

Make sure all the Couriers in your station keep a copy of that thing they sign (make sure there is a signature of either an Ops or Sr. Manager on it - this is VITAL), and just wait for the first accident to occur. Whoever is a victim in that accident will have a 7 figure payday coming to them courtesy of Fred, and that Courier (after retaining council themselves) will have a low 6 figure departure from Express (with a non-disclosure clause as part of it).

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I believe what you are experiencing is your Sr. Manager's implementation of the push to eliminate OT - and cut other hours wherever possible.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been getting anecdotal reports of "policy" being implemented at stations, that isn't uniform across the nation. Initially, it appeared to be "rogue" Sr. Managers, doing whatever they felt was necessary to get their numbers up to par. Your report is another instance of what appears to be a rogue Sr. Manager...

I believe what is happening, is that Sr. Managers have been given wide latitude to take whatever steps they see fit (tailored to their local conditions), to achieve the cuts desired by Memphis. Given the thought processes of many Sr. Managers leave much to be desired - I think you are seeing what your Senior has cooked up on his/her own.

Handing a wage employee something to sign stating that they'll "try to cut 29 minutes off their daily time", is just reeking of potential litigation liability for Express.

So what is the "penalty" for failure to shave 29 minutes off of one's day.... a performance reminder??

What if some boneheaded Courier actually tried to cut 29 minutes off their day, and ends up getting in an accident? There would be multi-million dollar liability there against Express. Yes, the Courier would be at fault, but that signed document would also place Express FIRMLY at fault too (they couldn't pass off the blame solely on the Courier).

Then if push came to shove, Express would place that Sr. Manager in the cross hairs for coming up with such an insane (and liability ridden) method of attempting to shave hours.

No, I think this is part of a larger pattern going on within Express (since the push to eliminate OT) to have Sr. Managers do whatever they think (with no review from HR or legal apparently) they can do to meet the goals from high above.

Make sure all the Couriers in your station keep a copy of that thing they sign (make sure there is a signature of either an Ops or Sr. Manager on it - this is VITAL), and just wait for the first accident to occur. Whoever is a victim in that accident will have a 7 figure payday coming to them courtesy of Fred, and that Courier (after retaining council themselves) will have a low 6 figure departure from Express (with a non-disclosure clause as part of it).

I like the "rogue" part. These assclowns have such a herd mentality that switching coffee brands is a dangerous departure from groupthink.

Good points. Although its only going to get worse from here on out. Memphis is forcing everyone from MD's on down to tow the line on cutting FTE's. Its going to get real ugly real fast. If you haven't packed your parachute yet you need to. It's been fun but, the parties been over. Time to move on to bigger and better things. Not to mention better jobs with better benefits.

fedex435

Heard a mgr say that some rts' volume has really dropped but they're still getting hours. Why not go after those rts and leave the rest alone?
hahahahahaha!!!!! because that is too obvious. At my station they wouldn't go after those rts because they are the lazy bast..ds that get back at the same time everyday whether they have 45 or 65 stops and amazingly its always early on Friday....and also they are the ones that give up stops...

DontThrowPackages

hahahahahaha!!!!! because that is too obvious. At my station they wouldn't go after those rts because they are the lazy bast..ds that get back at the same time everyday whether they have 45 or 65 stops and amazingly its always early on Friday....and also they are the ones that give up stops...
I can understand a rte having a very late DRB being the cause for coming in at the same time everyday but there are some rtes that will sit until they decide its time to start back in. And the guys that carpool always seem to finish their day the same time everyday as well. Only if there's a big game on that evening, miraculously trucks make it back with time to spare.

snackdad

Maybe the time can come from the SAL's. They usually spend half the day downloading movies or updating Facebook status after we leave for the day. They got their positions by being suck ups and tattle tales. They are responsible for maintaining a clean check out room and keeping the Powerpads and printers in good shape, they act all put out if you ask them for anything. I am sure they have an extra 29 or even 58 minutes in their day to offer up.
There is one gal in my station that thinks she is above everyone else and in tight with management because she used to "play" for their team. The coming reality may be harsh for her.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
DRA will balance everyones routes. Those couriers who like to MOO the system will be working.

About the 29 min letter? CYA

You sound like you're waiting for the Second Coming of Jesus or something. DRA!!!, DRA!!! Where have you been all my life!! I love all of you Purple Do-Gooders on here criticizing "lazy" couriers. Are these the people who refuse to work for free on their 13/14 (LAZY), or the ones who won't take break during their return to building stem time? Maybe they're the ones that work "by the book" and don't forge signatures. Wow, what bad attitudes, refusing to work for nothing.

I hope DRA is just as "successful" as the original ROADS. Given our crack OSS staff, this is a real possibility.

whenIgetthere

You sound like you're waiting for the Second Coming of Jesus or something. DRA!!!, DRA!!! Where have you been all my life!! I love all of you Purple Do-Gooders on here criticizing "lazy" couriers. Are these the people who refuse to work for free on their 13/14 (LAZY), or the ones who won't take break during their return to building stem time? Maybe they're the ones that work "by the book" and don't forge signatures. Wow, what bad attitudes, refusing to work for nothing.

I hope DRA is just as "successful" as the original ROADS. Given our crack OSS staff, this is a real possibility.

While I don't know exactly how DRA works, I have a friend at a station that does have it. He says there are days when stop counts are low (and routes cut, that means employees goes home with 2 or 4 hours pay, yippee!), it sends couriers from different areas to P1 stops that are next to one another. You're right MFE, sounds OSS makes it work as well as they do ROADS. Of course the obvious thing to do is have the couriers swap stops amongst themselves to run more efficiently (now doesn't that sound just like Flex Zones?), but the managers tell them to take what is assigned, efficient or not. As WickedTexan stated a week or so back, spend a dollar to save a dime.