30 day qualification

S10Blazer29

So I am doing my 30 day qualification and the rout I’m on I grew up in the area so I got lucky. The only thing it seems impossible and I’m on day 4 and it’s my first day on my own. What was it like when any of y’all started out?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So I am doing my 30 day qualification and the rout I’m on I grew up in the area so I got lucky. The only thing it seems impossible and I’m on day 4 and it’s my first day on my own. What was it like when any of y’all started out?
Clarify "rout" and "y'all"?

trickpony1

y'all...

NOUN
  1. a twisting or oscillation of a moving ship or aircraft around a vertical axis.
    "applying the opposite rudder will tend to reduce the yaw"

Zowert

I know you asked what it was like when I started out but I don’t remember. So I’ll just tell you what I learned, you can take it or leave it.

You’ll be overwhelmed your first couple days alone. Just try to calm down and take it one stop at a time. Sort each shelf as you go, so when you finish the 1000 shelf, stop for a few minutes and sort the 2000 shelf. Know where the pieces for your next 5-10 stops are. Don’t be afraid to block a residential street to make a delivery, but if you do it make sure there’s no chance of anyone getting around you. We had a new guy, doing his 30, block a street half-assed and someone swiped the side of his truck trying to get around him. UPS said it was an avoidable accident (even though it wasn’t his fault) and he was DQ’d.

They should be starting you off at 60-70% of that route’s normal volume. Once you get to 100% don’t be surprised to find irregs clogging up the floor of your truck. What a lot of guys do is finish their air stops then go back and deliver all those big pieces taking up space. If you can clear that floor from bulkhead to the back so you have room to work it will make your day much easier.

Most important; don’t hit anything, don’t get hurt and no late air. If you have commercial stops make sure you get those savers off by 1500.

Oh and in the morning go through your board and res/com all your resi savers, leaving only the businesses on your commit screen.

Last edited:

Whither

Scofflaw
Hang in there. Sounds like you have a leg up since you're already familiar with the area. Things will get easier once hone your methods and develop routines. Get to know the bid driver (and/or a cover driver who knows the route) so you can get tips on how to run the route better. For example, I would've never scratched my training route if I'd followed Orion.

If it's allowed at your building, show up early and sort your truck before start time. Customize the load, e.g., if you'll have time to deliver ground with your air, move the ground up to the 1000 shelf. But if you have a lot of air or the stops are spread out, be careful risking a late. Eat your lunch at a decent hour and spend the rest of the time sorting the entire load and staging your irregs so they come off quickly. Have a look at your board and shore up your game plan for the rest of the day, e.g., get an idea when you'll need to break for business savers, pickups, businesses. But: once you qualify don't work off the clock.

HFolb23

My first days on the road were all different, same route but kept getting shifted around until my training on car sup was happy with the route. Day 4 and my first day on my own I was flustered, felt like I was running behind but didn’t understand how. The first three days we had finished at 1700 and I knew I had to finish before then. I never ran, but I speedwalked like an Olympian at every stop. I’ll admit I skipped my lunch that first day, but only because all day long I felt like I was running an hour behind.

Guess what? I was. Why? It was the first day I had done the route since daylight savings time and I never adjusted my watch. My rookie-self was so stressed I didn’t even notice the Diad showed the time on the screen either. I finished that day 45mins paid under....learned a lesson about taking my lunch too.

To be fair, I only did like 100 stops that day, once I learned the route it would go out with 150-180 and I’d finish it pretty close to scratching.

Once I learned to deliver ground with my air when possible I did better. Also once I learned that following trace 100% doesn’t always make the most sense. I learned to try not to drive past stops that were later in my board if I could deliver them while I was doing my businesses.

I learned that if possible, doing the route in a down and back loop was better than crossing a busy road repeatedly.

Learning what type of boxes to expect certain customers to get helps a lot if your load isn’t perfect. Lots of customers get the same shipments daily and usually they know what the boxes look, especially if they’re dock stops and can see in the truck.

Learning where boxes might be hidden in a load helps too. If you can’t find a package on the shelf I always check the ends of the 5,6,7, and 8 Thousand shelves because preloaders tend to set stuff there while they’re catching up on the belt. RDR and RDL are common to find stuff too. If you’re missing a box for RDR, check at RDL if you can.

Learning what pickups you can do with their delivery saves a lot of time too. If you don’t have a lot of pickups, or you have one that’s inconvenient to get to, calling and asking if they’re sending anything out that day can be helpful if you’re willing to use your own phone to save time.

The biggest struggles I had were adjusting to delivering in the dark and how much different neighborhoods can look in the dark. I learned my route before it started to get dark really early, I was given more area that I had to learn in the dark, and then when spring came I had to relearn those same new areas in the daytime.

Don’t you only have to scratch like 3 or 4 times during your 30 days to qualify? That’s only like once a week so don’t let a bad day ruin it and discourage you.

Doso_24

My first days on the road were all different, same route but kept getting shifted around until my training on car sup was happy with the route. Day 4 and my first day on my own I was flustered, felt like I was running behind but didn’t understand how. The first three days we had finished at 1700 and I knew I had to finish before then. I never ran, but I speedwalked like an Olympian at every stop. I’ll admit I skipped my lunch that first day, but only because all day long I felt like I was running an hour behind.

Guess what? I was. Why? It was the first day I had done the route since daylight savings time and I never adjusted my watch. My rookie-self was so stressed I didn’t even notice the Diad showed the time on the screen either. I finished that day 45mins paid under....learned a lesson about taking my lunch too.

To be fair, I only did like 100 stops that day, once I learned the route it would go out with 150-180 and I’d finish it pretty close to scratching.

Once I learned to deliver ground with my air when possible I did better. Also once I learned that following trace 100% doesn’t always make the most sense. I learned to try not to drive past stops that were later in my board if I could deliver them while I was doing my businesses.

I learned that if possible, doing the route in a down and back loop was better than crossing a busy road repeatedly.

Learning what type of boxes to expect certain customers to get helps a lot if your load isn’t perfect. Lots of customers get the same shipments daily and usually they know what the boxes look, especially if they’re dock stops and can see in the truck.

Learning where boxes might be hidden in a load helps too. If you can’t find a package on the shelf I always check the ends of the 5,6,7, and 8 Thousand shelves because preloaders tend to set stuff there while they’re catching up on the belt. RDR and RDL are common to find stuff too. If you’re missing a box for RDR, check at RDL if you can.

Learning what pickups you can do with their delivery saves a lot of time too. If you don’t have a lot of pickups, or you have one that’s inconvenient to get to, calling and asking if they’re sending anything out that day can be helpful if you’re willing to use your own phone to save time.

The biggest struggles I had were adjusting to delivering in the dark and how much different neighborhoods can look in the dark. I learned my route before it started to get dark really early, I was given more area that I had to learn in the dark, and then when spring came I had to relearn those same new areas in the daytime.

Don’t you only have to scratch like 3 or 4 times during your 30 days to qualify? That’s only like once a week so don’t let a bad day ruin it and discourage you.

In my center we had to scratch 10 days in a row. (Long Island NY)

:bsbullf::bsbullf:

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
A one and a half day demo ride along, keys....go! No cell phones, or google maps, 120 downtown business stops, + some additional resi stops, 50+pickups, truck cubed out both inbound and outbound, no parking whatsoever, double parked all day. Also, had to be done by 5pm, as I had to shuttle all the air for that city back to the hub to make the plane. Was ridiculous!

I know it seems impossible to you right now, but push through. I ran, gave up both lunch and breaks, whatever it takes to make the 30 days. Then I spent the next 31 years punishing them on the paycheck! I never advocate running or giving up a single second of break time, but to make your 30 days, you do what it takes!

Mo19072

Focus on safety first then numbers will come naturally as you learn your area even though you grew up there. Knowing your houses, driveways and not having to look for numbers on the mailboxes will save you time. I started being under everyday in my third week. SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY first then service and production. Good luck

AttackedHawk34

Was done at 2:45pm my first day on a reduced dispatch. Took lunch getting ready for pickups but i drove for peak season prior so i knew what it took.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I never advocate running or giving up a single second of break time, but to make your 30 days, you do what it takes!
Most everyone does this in their probation period to make book, and senior drivers understand you are doing what you need to do. After you make it, I wouldn't advocate working off the clock and and skipping your breaks and meal times.

A three day demo ride , learned nothing
Day 4 the keys , a map and 230 stops
You won’t learn any of the route when someone is telling you where to go. You wont learn the route following the diad navigation to every stop. If you get into a jam use it, but your much better off using a map. The only thing you will learn during your 3 day training is selection and leaving all the stops where they are spa’d to, which is very important, if you move pieces you will forget. If you have to spend an extra 15 seconds on selection at every stop because you moved pieces (or you aren’t organizing your truck) that adds up to an extra 38 minutes on a 150 stop route. Plan your route so that you make as few left hand turns as possible and plan it so that you end up at your pickups at their scheduled times. If you can do your pickups in trace without planning your day around them do it.

Focus on safety first then numbers will come naturally as you learn your area even though you grew up there. Knowing your houses, driveways and not having to look for numbers on the mailboxes will save you time. I started being under everyday in my third week. SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY first then service and production. Good luck
Knowing an area to get around and knowing an area for delivery are very different things.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
You won’t learn any of the route when someone is telling you where to go. You wont learn the route following the diad navigation to every stop. If you get into a jam use it, but your much better off using a map. The only thing you will learn during your 3 day training is selection and leaving all the stops where they are spa’d to, which is very important, if you move pieces you will forget. If you have to spend an extra 15 seconds on selection at every stop because you moved pieces (or you aren’t organizing your truck) that adds up to an extra 38 minutes on a 150 stop route. Plan your route so that you make as few left hand turns as possible and plan it so that you end up at your pickups at their scheduled times. If you can do your pickups in trace without planning your day around them do it.

he’s talking about the 1980’s

Doso_24

The easiest way to learn your route is to just learn the street names and the side streets that way your not using gps. When I’m at a stop and can’t find the package I’ll start putting my next few stops on the ground as I’m looking the package, that way I’m always moving. I don’t run at all I did my first 2 days. Now I just walk at a quick pace. Best thing I did as well was learn the self numbers helps a lot to just pop open the door and know exactly where your looking.