36-hour rule...

mikeny

Service Provider
always found these "rules" confusing, but never really had to deal with them until now, since i work the Preload and do Sat. Air. which is only a few hours each shift.

yesterday for Valentine's Day i worked about 9.5 hours, from 0800-1730. i have to work on Monday at about 4am, so since i won't have 2 periods of 1-5am off and less than 36 hours between shifts, this mean i can't work at my scheduled start time on Monday? from my calculations i can't start work until 0530 on Monday, correct? if that's the case i might as well take an option day, since i won't be working enough hours on Mon.

do i have this correct?

mikeny

Service Provider
oops...yes 34-hours, but when was the 1-5am lifted, because i recently (few weeks ago) was given a paper that said just that.

By The Book

oops...yes 34-hours, but when was the 1-5am lifted, because i recently (few weeks ago) was given a paper that said just that.
I think we all may have to get this clarified with management. They may need to update the forms and have us sign them again.

SnowCitizen

How many hours do you work per week? Even if you work sixty per week, you never have to restart. You just have to keep track of hours available each day.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
always found these "rules" confusing, but never really had to deal with them until now, since i work the Preload and do Sat. Air. which is only a few hours each shift.

yesterday for Valentine's Day i worked about 9.5 hours, from 0800-1730. i have to work on Monday at about 4am, so since i won't have 2 periods of 1-5am off and less than 36 hours between shifts, this mean i can't work at my scheduled start time on Monday? from my calculations i can't start work until 0530 on Monday, correct? if that's the case i might as well take an option day, since i won't be working enough hours on Mon.

do i have this correct?
Your reset is a mute point. If you work the preload and Saturday air, you will not even come close to working 60 hours a week. Another part of the hours of service regulations.

And the DOT hours of service only refer to driving. You cannot "drive"

1. more than 11 hours without taking 10 hours off
2. after working 14 hours without taking 10 hours off
3. after working 60 hours in a 7 day period without a 34 hour restart

If you work the preload, you are not driving. You do not need 10 hours off. You do not need a restart.

upschuck

Your reset is a mute point. If you work the preload and Saturday air, you will not even come close to working 60 hours a week. Another part of the hours of service regulations.

If you work the preload, you are not driving. You do not need 10 hours off. You do not need a restart.
Unless he is going to drive after his work on preload.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Unless he is going to drive after his work on preload.
If he was going to air drive after the preload, he would just have to have the 10 hours off, which he had. He said that he only works a few hours a day, so I assumed he did not air drive during the week.

He asked about the restart though, and from his post, he does not need one.

Point is, he has to work tomorrow...sorry.

upschuck

If he was going to air drive after the preload, he would just have to have the 10 hours off, which he had. He said that he only works a few hours a day, so I assumed he did not air drive during the week.

He asked about the restart though, and from his post, he does not need one.

Point is, he has to work tomorrow...sorry.

If he works where the storms are going, he very well may be asked to drive tomorrow, but probably doesn't have the hours needed for the rest to be needed, unless he has another job.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If he works where the storms are going, he very well may be asked to drive tomorrow, but probably doesn't have the hours needed for the rest to be needed, unless he has another job.
He did not mention another job, but good point. It is not just hours at UPS, it is hours at all jobs.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
You need to look at your hours and see how many you have left for each day, just don't go over those hours pretty simple.

UPSGUY72

If he drives 1 hour a week and works the rest on the inside he still falls under the DOT rules any hours you get paid for whether your driving or not count toward your 14 and 60. On the day he drives he needs to have had a 10 break before the start of his first paid shift be it driving or not and can't be on the clock after 14 hours from the start of his 1st shift even if he punches out between his first shift and his driving shift unless there is a 10 break between those shifts.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If he drives 1 hour a week and works the rest on the inside he still falls under the DOT rules any hours you get paid for whether your driving or not count toward your 14 and 60. On the day he drives he needs to have had a 10 break before the start of his first paid shift be it driving or not and can't be on the clock after 14 hours from the start of his 1st shift even if he punches out between his first shift and his driving shift unless there is a 10 break between those shifts.
If he only drives on Saturday, he just needs to make sure he can drive on Saturday. 10 hours off and will still be under 60 for the week. He does not have to worry about any hours during the week. Just keep a total.

He said he is a preloader and only works a couple of hours per day, so the 60 hour issue is a non-issue.

He can start Monday morning and work 50 straight hours without clocking out and still drive on Saturday as long as he had 10 hours off and doesn't go past 60 hours due to his driving on Saturday.

Point is, he still has to work in the morning.

UPSGUY72

If he only drives on Saturday, he just needs to make sure he can drive on Saturday. 10 hours off and will still be under 60 for the week. He does not have to worry about any hours during the week. Just keep a total.

He said he is a preloader and only works a couple of hours per day, so the 60 hour issue is a non-issue.

He can start Monday morning and work 50 straight hours without clocking out and still drive on Saturday as long as he had 10 hours off and doesn't go past 60 hours due to his driving on Saturday.

Point is, he still has to work in the morning.

You are correct.

My point was he still has to follow the DOT rules and all hours the he gets paid and works count toward his DOT hours whether he drives or sits at a desk and answer the phone.

He also still needs a 34 hour rest at some point during the week even if he only works 3 to 4 hours a day M-friend and only drives air on Sat. Which isn't a problem for him. The number of hours worked a day has nothing to due with whether you need or don't need a reset.

In the OP case missing the 34 hr reset wouldn't mean he couldn't work the preload on Monday but it would mean he couldn't driving the follow Sat unless he got a 34 reset before than.

wo88upsman

You can work the rest of you life without a reset as long as you never go over 60 hrs in 7 straight days. 8th day 1st day falls off and it keeps working the same way forever.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You are correct.

My point was he still has to follow the DOT rules and all hours the he gets paid and works count toward his DOT hours whether he drives or sits at a desk and answer the phone.

He also still needs a 34 hour rest at some point during the week even if he only works 3 to 4 hours a day M-friend and only drives air on Sat. Which isn't a problem for him. The number of hours worked a day has nothing to due with whether you need or don't need a reset.

In the OP case missing the 34 hr reset wouldn't mean he couldn't work the preload on Monday but it would mean he couldn't driving the follow Sat unless he got a 34 reset before than.
Yes, all his hours worked count toward his 14/60. I said that.

You are incorrect. The OP does NOT need a 34 hour reset as long as he does not work more than 60 hours in a week. It sounds like he normally does not work more than 30 or 35, so he will never "need" a reset.