3rd season driving for UPS offered full time.

Steamer

Hello UPSers,

I'm not so new enough to the game to not know the deal anymore about driving for UPS. Plus reading here on this forum has set a good perspective in my mind. I've even slowed down in the last week or so to set a nice pace. Still getting scratch. Only 18 clicks under Thursday. So I'm finding a good safe pace. I was 118 clicks under one day a few weeks ago hustling too much...

I'm older. Almost 50. I kind of considered myself too old for the job in managements eyes and figured that I would never get full time. But I'm in pretty decent shape after losing 90lbs working out hard at the gym in the previous 2 seasons to get in shape for myself and this job. Got some abs and biceps now. Eating strict. Lean meats and low glycemic veggies for a year. I cheated a lot too though when my wife and I hung out with friends on the weekends.

Well the question is that they offered me full time a few days ago and I'm not sure what it really means as far as a timeline goes. I actually mentioned it to the manager in passing one morning that I would like to get a full time position if one opens up. They mentioned that they are going to try to get me on full time like a week later. I'm seasonal right now until labor day supposedly. But I was like "hell ya! I love this job". I really do love it. :-) I should have been more professional like "yes sir thank you for your consideration". But I got a little excited. LOL. Well does my 30 day clock start when they offered me the job? Or are they just pushing to get me in with the union vs management hiring rules? They said that they are going to ask for like 5 drivers for management this time I heard from the office. We just had 3 guys retire last week.

Yes I love the job. Running around outside all day. Dodging mean dogs. And saying hello to customers. I think it's fun. Sure beats hitting a gym on a treadmill to stay in shape. Plus we get $$$ for it. And a little prestige being a UPS delivery driver. Let me know what you think. I appreciate your feedback. :chaseups:

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Hello UPSers,

I'm not so new enough to the game to not know the deal anymore about driving for UPS. Plus reading here on this forum has set a good perspective in my mind. I've even slowed down in the last week or so to set a nice pace. Still getting scratch. Only 18 clicks under Thursday. So I'm finding a good safe pace. I was 118 clicks under one day a few weeks ago hustling too much...

I'm older. Almost 50. I kind of considered myself too old for the job in managements eyes and figured that I would never get full time. But I'm in pretty decent shape after losing 90lbs working out hard at the gym in the previous 2 seasons to get in shape for myself and this job. Got some abs and biceps now. Eating strict. Lean meats and low glycemic veggies for a year. I cheated a lot too though when my wife and I hung out with friends on the weekends.

Well the question is that they offered me full time a few days ago and I'm not sure what it really means as far as a timeline goes. I actually mentioned it to the manager in passing one morning that I would like to get a full time position if one opens up. They mentioned that they are going to try to get me on full time like a week later. I'm seasonal right now until labor day supposedly. But I was like "hell ya! I love this job". I really do love it. :-) I should have been more professional like "yes sir thank you for your consideration". But I got a little excited. LOL. Well does my 30 day clock start when they offered me the job? Or are they just pushing to get me in with the union vs management hiring rules? They said that they are going to ask for like 5 drivers for management this time I heard from the office. We just had 3 guys retire last week.

Yes I love the job. Running around outside all day. Dodging mean dogs. And saying hello to customers. I think it's fun. Sure beats hitting a gym on a treadmill to stay in shape. Plus we get $$$ for it. And a little prestige being a UPS delivery driver. Let me know what you think. I appreciate your feedback. :chaseups:
Congratulations

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
tumblr_m4cxnvn7xb1qhhxd4o1_r1_250.gif

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
I just can’t believe you cheated and your wife joined you on the weekends. Now that’s a damn party.

On a more serious note I love this job from a customer stand point. Especially with dealing with a pissed off consignee. De-escalating situations is something I’m good at and puts people in a better mood. That’s why people always tell me on route that I’m very respectful and extremely easy to work with. Just got to know how to talk to people :wink-very:

Whither

Scofflaw
Well the question is that they offered me full time a few days ago and I'm not sure what it really means as far as a timeline goes. I actually mentioned it to the manager in passing one morning that I would like to get a full time position if one opens up. They mentioned that they are going to try to get me on full time like a week later. I'm seasonal right now until labor day supposedly. But I was like "hell ya! I love this job". I really do love it. :-) I should have been more professional like "yes sir thank you for your consideration". But I got a little excited. LOL. Well does my 30 day clock start when they offered me the job?

Congrats man. Definitely talk with your steward ASAP to see if the company has changed your job code (or when they're going to) and get clear on all the details.

It sounds like you're already got plenty of experience under your belt, doing very well and have made your decision anyway, so, yes, of course -- go for it. @MECH-lift is being straight with you: you will surely start as a 22.4, no 9.5 protections and a lower wage, working Tues-Sat and if your building is as slammed as most are, they'll be putting you on the schedule Mon-Sat as soon as you qualify.

Recently reached my 1st year of seniority, and in spite of all the late nights (especially until I got confident as a cover driver haha), crazy loads/stop counts, and many weeks working 6 days, I'm glad I didn't look back. Still the best job I've ever had (and I take pride in it -- silly as that may be), even if I would love nothing more than to join my fellow Teamsters in forcing the union and the company to make it a lot better.

Re-Raise

Nothing counts for anything until the free period is over. They can tell you anything to keep you working until Labor Day.

I am a little surprised they would let a near 50 yr old qualifly. What is your end game? How long do you plan to do this?

Once you are full time they are stuck with you until you decide to leave or they fire you. Which is why it is surprising that they would really hire you full time. I am 55 and have worked here over 34 yrs and would hate to start now!

Last edited:

WTFm8

Nothing counts for anything until the free period is over. They can tell you anything to keep you working until Labor Day.

I am a little surprised they would let a near 50 yr old qualifly. What is your end game? How long do you plan to do this?

Once you are full time they are stuck with you until you decide to leave or they fire you. Which is why it is surprising that they would really hire you full time. I am 55 and have worked here over 34 yrs and would hate to start now!

Had 2 in the 50+ range last year. One quit, other terminated for unreported accident.

Indecisi0n

Hello UPSers,

@rod was 50 when he started then put his 30 years it. That makes him about as old as Jesus but he still managed to make it. Hopefully he can share some tips with you.

Sheikyrbouti

Hell, I will be 53 in a couple of weeks and they are letting me qualify as a cover driver. Plus I am on the full time sheet. Age is only a number and frame of mind. Of course Saturday evenings after a full week I fell 90😂😂

Steamer

I just can’t believe you cheated and your wife joined you on the weekends. Now that’s a damn party.

On a more serious note I love this job from a customer stand point. Especially with dealing with a pissed off consignee. De-escalating situations is something I’m good at and puts people in a better mood. That’s why people always tell me on route that I’m very respectful and extremely easy to work with. Just got to know how to talk to people :wink-very:

LOL. Yes sir. I used to be a sales representative for a Budweiser distributor in Indy. Until new owners bought them out and basically pushed everyone out for new college hires. Customer service is #2 after safety #1.

Last edited:

Steamer

Hell, I will be 53 in a couple of weeks and they are letting me qualify as a cover driver. Plus I am on the full time sheet. Age is only a number and frame of mind. Of course Saturday evenings after a full week I fell 90😂😂

I'm 48 years young and have never been in better shape in my life. My wife works full time 1st shift. And we have been married 30 years. So it's not like we haven't seen enough of each other LOL. I've warned her about the hours and such. A friend that got me on at the job has warned me about the divorce rate there and such. I told her. She is a sweetheart. We are fine.

Steamer

True. I kind of thought about that. That's why I asked on here. I figured why would they put themselves out until they needed to. Like you said. It's a free period for them to not only test me. But possibly just push me harder for nothing. We shall see. That's why I was wondering if the clock started ticking for 30 days once they mentioned it by union rules. Or if it might just be bs in the end. They have called me off the last 2 days because volume is slow after the 4th. That's fine with me. I'm a team player. I don't need the money. My wife has a great job. And our home, and vehicles are all paid for. No hurry or stress either way. If it works out great. If not okay too. But I do really love the job and will keep doing a good job either way. :-) Safety is #1 in my mind. The rest will fall into place with good methods. I just expect the unexpected as I Y.E.L.L all day long.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I can’t control PTers not voting.

Don't blame it on the PT folks.

There are plenty of FT drivers, that couldn't be bothered.

Only 22% of the member's voted in the "strike authorization" vote.

What did you do.... to try and get out the vote ?

Besides, yack on the radio or your cell phone headset ?

-Bug-