3rd season driving for UPS offered full time.

22.4 driver

Hello UPSers,

I'm not so new enough to the game to not know the deal anymore about driving for UPS. Plus reading here on this forum has set a good perspective in my mind. I've even slowed down in the last week or so to set a nice pace. Still getting scratch. Only 18 clicks under Thursday. So I'm finding a good safe pace. I was 118 clicks under one day a few weeks ago hustling too much...

I'm older. Almost 50. I kind of considered myself too old for the job in managements eyes and figured that I would never get full time. But I'm in pretty decent shape after losing 90lbs working out hard at the gym in the previous 2 seasons to get in shape for myself and this job. Got some abs and biceps now. Eating strict. Lean meats and low glycemic veggies for a year. I cheated a lot too though when my wife and I hung out with friends on the weekends.

Well the question is that they offered me full time a few days ago and I'm not sure what it really means as far as a timeline goes. I actually mentioned it to the manager in passing one morning that I would like to get a full time position if one opens up. They mentioned that they are going to try to get me on full time like a week later. I'm seasonal right now until labor day supposedly. But I was like "hell ya! I love this job". I really do love it. :-) I should have been more professional like "yes sir thank you for your consideration". But I got a little excited. LOL. Well does my 30 day clock start when they offered me the job? Or are they just pushing to get me in with the union vs management hiring rules? They said that they are going to ask for like 5 drivers for management this time I heard from the office. We just had 3 guys retire last week.

Yes I love the job. Running around outside all day. Dodging mean dogs. And saying hello to customers. I think it's fun. Sure beats hitting a gym on a treadmill to stay in shape. Plus we get $$$ for it. And a little prestige being a UPS delivery driver. Let me know what you think. I appreciate your feedback. :chaseups:

Probably took three seasons to hire you cause of your age unfortunately. Don’t even worry about scratching or clicks (whatever the :censored2: that means) just work and follow the methods . You’ll be getting oput on different routes everyday anyways.

Re-Raise

Yup, vested at 5 years so he would qualify for 55 and out. Like I said it wouldn't be a lot, probably about 1500/month.
Wow! The math on that seems way off. To buy a $1500 a month annuity for life at 55 would cost about almost a half million.

C6DAEF31-5315-4C0D-80C8-5E9E643F0891.png

What local are you in?

The pensions are doomed!!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Wow! The math on that seems way off. To buy a $1500 a month annuity for life at 55 would cost about almost a half million.

View attachment 301907

What local are you in?

The pensions are doomed!!
Annuities are always overpriced for what you get, at least from what I've seen.
Local 639
Our pension fund is in pretty good shape, knock on wood.

Re-Raise

Annuities are always overpriced for what you get, at least from what I've seen.
Local 639
Our pension fund is in pretty good shape, knock on wood.
Just seems insane that someone could work a job for 5 years and collect $1500 a month for the next 30 or so years sitting at home. I was pretty sure I had to hit my 25 yrs to get my pension at 55. I am in local 710 and 25 yrs gets you $3200 a month. I have 27 in now.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Just seems insane that someone could work a job for 5 years and collect $1500 a month for the next 30 or so years sitting at home. I was pretty sure I had to hit my 25 yrs to get my pension at 55. I am in local 710 and 25 yrs gets you $3200 a month. I have 27 in now.
Well, OP said he was 48 so I was actually calculating 55 w/ 7 yrs of service. We have a bunch of different options, some are based on yrs of service and some are based on age.

AwashBwashCwash

Nothing counts for anything until the free period is over. They can tell you anything to keep you working until Labor Day.

I am a little surprised they would let a near 50 yr old qualifly. What is your end game? How long do you plan to do this?

Once you are full time they are stuck with you until you decide to leave or they fire you. Which is why it is surprising that they would really hire you full time. I am 55 and have worked here over 34 yrs and would hate to start now!

You think that's bad, we had a 50 year old guy start on preload here about a year ago with aspirations of becoming a driver.
He lasted 4 days and was gone.

Last edited:

AwashBwashCwash

Typical union response. For every one FTer not invested in the voting process, there are 50 PTers. I don’t know one feeder driver that doesn’t get involved in voting and educating themselves.

PT is a revolving door of second-class citizens.
Out of those 50 PTers you mentioned, 40 of them probably had been here for less than 6 months and/or didn't even know we had a contract.

If you want to blame the PTers for the way contract negotiations went, you should go the full nine yards and try to get them out of the union.
That way their numbers won't affect the clause used against you and the union will have to think of some other trick to screw you over (and they will)

Steamer

Well, I qualified since I have been scratching out for over a month now I assume. My center manager had me take an hour lunch Friday to qualify as well. I'm assuming to juggle air packages, pick ups, ODS pick up packages, and commercial stops before they close. With an hour worked in and not faltering. I did it easily. My first day as a full time driver is my birthday tomorrow. August 3rd!! Pretty crazy coincidence. Thanks for all the help and encouragement here as well.

Last edited:

JJinVA

I hear ppl all the time talking about scratch. wtf does that mean?

Anyways when I first started I beat orion like an abusive husband. Id punch an hour lunch out everyday and only take about 5 minutes of it if any at all. Since then Ive been beat by 300 clicks pretty much daily, but thats usually because they ask me to go take stops off of drivers who take their sweet time getting to me, sweet time transferring, and Ill be damned if Im gonna punch that time out as lunch now. Or theyll have me drive around and pick up NDAs from other drivers who arent gonna make it back on time. So I ignore the numbers for the most part.

Steamer

I hear ppl all the time talking about scratch. wtf does that mean?

Anyways when I first started I beat orion like an abusive husband. Id punch an hour lunch out everyday and only take about 5 minutes of it if any at all. Since then Ive been beat by 300 clicks pretty much daily, but thats usually because they ask me to go take stops off of drivers who take their sweet time getting to me, sweet time transferring, and Ill be damned if Im gonna punch that time out as lunch now. Or theyll have me drive around and pick up NDAs from other drivers who arent gonna make it back on time. So I ignore the numbers for the most part.

Ya, I only took a 10 min paid break daily and maybe 10 min lunch. No driving or recording during lunch hour is what they are looking for.

Steamer

I was hired full time as of today but also called off today because volume is lower. Do they give you a certain minimum amount of hours weekly? What is the difference between being coded in full time and just seasonal?

Up In Smoke

I was hired full time as of today but also called off today because volume is lower. Do they give you a certain minimum amount of hours weekly? What is the difference between being coded in full time and just seasonal?
Help us out. RPCD or 22.4, off the street or pt time seniority and what region do you work??

Steamer

I was seasonal, my third season. I worked the last two Christmas seasons plus this summer season now. The center manager told me that I'm full time starting today. So I'm assuming RPCD. I don't mind either way. I don't need the money and don't mind having extra days off here and there. I'm just curious to how it works. Ohio Valley region.

I just really love the job and running around all day. It's fun to me. I used to have a lawn business in Florida and it reminds me of that. UPS is actually less stress than running your own business. No overhead, plus no collecting from deadbeat customers. Let alone break downs and such that I don't have to deal with. No marketing, or invoicing customers after working all day in the dirt and heat. I love it.

Last edited:

chicken alfredo

I just can’t believe you cheated and your wife joined you on the weekends. Now that’s a damn party.

On a more serious note I love this job from a customer stand point. Especially with dealing with a pissed off consignee. De-escalating situations is something I’m good at and puts people in a better mood. That’s why people always tell me on route that I’m very respectful and extremely easy to work with. Just got to know how to talk to people :wink-very:
🙄 Someone give this kid a prize . We don’t have time to chit chat with customers . Stop stealing company time . Deliver/pick up their stuff and move on !!