4:42 is the preload start time

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Our preload seems to have one goal with the start time, to not finish before the the drivers start. This way the Preload can leave and the drivers can then finish loading the cars, somehow this saves UPS money..... I am still working on how that part works but it must.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Our preload seems to have one goal with the start time, to not finish before the the drivers start. This way the Preload can leave and the drivers can then finish loading the cars, somehow this saves UPS money..... I am still working on how that part works but it must.

Honestly, I never understood why driver management allowed Preload management to get away with this. Before the PAL system, when we weren't allowed to run ground/air simultaneously, we had one zealous Preload manager who would start Preload so late that by the time air was up, the drivers would be here -- and she could send the Preloaders home. If any driver dared key their time onto the Preload, she would harass them. That must've went on for about a year before one of our three CMs told her enough was enough. I'm certain the company cares -- it's just that in the grand scheme of the numbers game, unless it's exposed, it's not happening. And obviously most management will scratch each others' backs.

UPS math. Start the drivers later + more stops = Early punch out..!!! Saves the company $money!!!!!!!!!!lol

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

UPS math. Start the drivers later + more stops = Early punch out..!!! Saves the company $money!!!!!!!!!!lol

You two have actually nailed it amoungst the well placed sarcasm.
Unfortunately, there is a significant faction of drivers who perpetuate that system.
They come in early, work for free, clock in ten minutes late and still finish their route at the usual time.
Until they wise up and make it cost the company ten more minutes instead of saving them ten, this will continue to be the case with the ever revolving start times.

konsole

Radios aren't a problem if they're set-up before the sort, kept at a moderate volume & do not distract the employee from performing his job / cause safety issues. Unfortunately, that's why they're now banned here.

When you hired in, you knew UPS was a military-type environment. Disagreeing with such culture isn't an excuse to defect from it. Plenty of jobs allow employees to goof around, drink a beer or two on the clock, etc. If that's more suitable to you, then pursue one of them.

There is nothing involved with setting up a radio that takes more then 30 seconds. If you can't allow your employees 30 seconds to put a radio on the shelf, turn it on and find a station they like then please don't ever be my supervisor. Very few people in my building have radios and for those that do if any of them have the volume up way too loud then you ask them to turn it down, if they repeatedly won't turn the volume down after being asked several times then you you tell that employee they are not allowed to bring a radio in. If you have zero tolerance on that matter and the end result bans radios for even the people that are using them properly, then again I don't ever want to work for you. If the radio is causing issues with the employee performing their job or causing safety issues then again you warn that employee and then ban their radio after several warnings.

Of course to attempt to prove their argument it is human nature to exaggerate how the other person feels, so of course you are going to say that I think goofing around, and drinking beers should be allowed. Just an attempt to insult my views, nothing more. How I would respond is by exaggerating your views by saying that you don't think your employees should be allowed to breathe while on the shift. See how that works?

I'm not against a hard working and focused shift, but little "freedoms" here and there can be allowed that don't sacrifice the operation.

quamba 638

Our start time is different every day, every week almost. I just got in the habit of taking a picture of the schedule with my phone every Friday when its posted. So I don't forget the start times. My sort is usually done 2.75-3.00 hours after the start, and most everyone in my area gets dispersed into different work areas across the building. They call us the "three and a halfers" over the radio. "Who needs three and a halfers"

Some of our guys wait by the time clock to punch out until the lowest guy in seniority gets back..haha. Then they freak out.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Isn't a 10 min. break in your contract?

Only in states that mandate breaks in their labor laws. I happen to live in one where we don't have breaks, but I encourage everyone I work with to take a de facto 5-10 minute break. Wash your hands, take a leak, wash your hands again, wash your face, etc. You just can't sit in the break room.

mixyo

Dispatcher
At my center it's usually between 4:25 and 4:50. I don't really pay attention, I just show up at 4:25 everyday. Even if it technically dont start for another 25 minutes, I still clock in early and get paid. LOL.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
At my center it's usually between 4:25 and 4:50. I don't really pay attention, I just show up at 4:25 everyday. Even if it technically dont start for another 25 minutes, I still clock in early and get paid. LOL.

​You don't get paid until your scheduled start.

J

jibbs

​You don't get paid until your scheduled start.

One of the few reasons to clock in a few minutes before start time. Hell, my current supe gave me the advice while he was still a Teamster to NEVER come in before start time and do UPS work, because I would be working for free for n minutes.

...I still come in a few minutes early, though. Never know when there's going to be a bottleneck at security and the computers... You can clock in ~15min early no problem, but clock in 1min late and there's a good chance you'll have some issues.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
You sure about that? I've added up the amount of hours I've "actually" worked and compared it to what's listed on the paycheck and the paycheck shows an extra couple hours each week.

The time clock shows your clock-in time & your start time. It does not pay you until your start time. If this isn't the case, and you're getting paid several additional hours weekly -- and I find it hard to believe, as others would've caught on and been taking advantage of it -- then you must have the worst management team at UPS. Mine knows when I've worked 5 minutes longer than they thought I did every single day.

One of the few reasons to clock in a few minutes before start time. Hell, my current supe gave me the advice while he was still a Teamster to NEVER come in before start time and do UPS work, because I would be working for free for n minutes.

...I still come in a few minutes early, though. Never know when there's going to be a bottleneck at security and the computers... You can clock in ~15min early no problem, but clock in 1min late and there's a good chance you'll have some issues.

I'm always amazed at the number of loaders, whose start time is delayed by 20 minutes from the Input, who begin working off-the-clock with the unload. Probably why it went from a 15-minute delay, to a 20-minute and now they're experimenting with 25-minutes on select days.

We're assigned a computer to clock in (and we're required to clock on on the one within the work area we finish at). If it's down, I don't bother to clock in - I just let management fix it.