40 drivers layed off

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I told my coworkers that once the teamsters took over health bennies uPs would over hire. They will almost be able to bust the union just by over staffing, think about it.

I believe you. Just saying most of the Feeder drivers I know would not lower themselves.
At that time ups needed doubles drivers bad. Preston had just went out of business. Our local made a deal with ups and the hired about 30 drivers in 1999. That with also hiring part timers and package car drivers bidding up there made for the perfect storm.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
At first I heard around 20. By last night I was hearing close to 40 were laid off. Yes ft pc. Anyone less than 2 years ft senority seems to be back in the center.

I've talked to every sup I encounter on a regular basis about the 40 hour guarantee since our pay was posted last week. I get the generic "I'm not sure" response.

I notified a shop steward at the beginning of the week. Told me he would find out. Turns out no one in my class got their 40.

Today is the last day I'm just going to sit and let everyone blow me off regarding this. I will file, target on my back be damned.
Were getting ready to hit our 1st peak season in another month. All the temp drivers will be going on June 1st and they usually work straight through our 2nd peak til Dec 31st.

PT Car Washer

At that time ups needed doubles drivers bad. Preston had just went out of business. Our local made a deal with ups and the hired about 30 drivers in 1999. That with also hiring part timers and package car drivers bidding up there made for the perfect storm.
Any qualified Feeder driver could make a lot more money driving OTR then working as a PT package handler.

Deemster

Were getting ready to hit our 1st peak season in another month. All the temp drivers will be going on June 1st and they usually work straight through our 2nd peak til Dec 31st.

I'm aware that seasonal driving is going to be available in the summer, didn't know it would run all the way through till peak season.
I'll take whatever I can get in that regard. I saw today that my sat air pay is 20 cents lower than my pt package handler pay

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I'm aware that seasonal driving is going to be available in the summer, didn't know it would run all the way through till peak season.
I'll take whatever I can get in that regard. I saw today that my sat air pay is 20 cents lower than my pt package handler pay
Yeah peak here at the beach usually starts may til oct 1st really, slows down just lil bit not too much cause weathers still nice in oct and November and a lot of tourists take vacation in the off season and weekenders still come to outlets and downtown to the boardwalk, then next thing you know its November 1st and people are already starting xmas shopping. We don't get too slow really anymore and dont deal with alot of layoff thank god. I got over 15 in so im in the clear anyways but im more than obliged to take an unpaid day off here and there n save the 5 optional and 5 sick days and bid them out for 2 extra weeks of vacation lol`

Rainman

Its all good.
Where I am nobody is getting laid off, it's hard for our cover drivers to go home other than on Mondays. Our building has put on approximately 15-20 new permanent drivers since the beginning of the year with talk of more permanent positions before temp season starts in June. We are adding 30 more feeder positions this year also. Nobody here has to worry about getting laid off. Volume is still heavier than usual.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I suppose it depends on how much seniority you have. We have about a dozen drivers laid off since January. All are in their first year of driving and are making starting inside FT rate. $15/hr.
Yeah, I didn't mean all drivers were top driving rate inside. Back in 2009, we had quite a few layoffs due to the economy and all of the drivers laid off went back to their part-time rates. It was then that there were enough grumblings from drivers and the union, lots of drivers went on unemployment, and the union/co agreed to pay drivers their driving rate inside.

Dr.Brownz

What I find weird is after they make their 30 days the clock has started on progression for all of these guys so makes no sense not to work them.

Also who is allowing these drivers to
Train with others being sent home?

In my center they are allowing people to RO daily so that drivers can make their 30 days.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A Feeder Driver being a package handler? Never going to happen. Collect unemployment and take driving jobs for cash.

It happened. I was there. It went on for almost a year.

We have feeder drivers who have had to bump back in to the building as package handlers.

We don't have any of these layoff issues in my center. There are no new drivers and most of our Peak drivers are working on the inside. HR has hired a few new package handlers. Volume is a bit heavier than normal.