40 MPG

satellitedriver

What VW's get in milage is MORE than over shadowed in repair costs. It cost me $116.00 to replace 4 sparkplugs in my wifes Passat. Thats not a tuneup- just 4 plugs. Ive had it in 6 times (at about 2 to 3 hundred bucks a pop)since it was new in 2001 to get the "check engine" light off. Today the service manager had the balls to tell me that it has been a "good" car for us. My advise to everyone is stay away from VW
First thing, buy some electrical tape and put over the check engine light.(That tip came from Click and Clack and it will save you some bucks.)
Learn to change you own spark plugs. Major buck savings there.
If it wasn't for VW's, I could never have afforded to pay for college. My 63' bug got 35 miles to the gallon. Change the oil, adjust the valves and put gas into it. It never let me down.

rod

Retired 22 years
First thing, buy some electrical tape and put over the check engine light.(That tip came from Click and Clack and it will save you some bucks.)
Learn to change you own spark plugs. Major buck savings there.
If it wasn't for VW's, I could never have afforded to pay for college. My 63' bug got 35 miles to the gallon. Change the oil, adjust the valves and put gas into it. It never let me down.
I have no problem changing my own sparkplugs but at the time the car was just out of warantee when the ck eng light came on so I took it in and when I picked it up there was the bill for 4 new plugs. P.S. 3 days later the light came on again. This time it supposedly was an oxygen sensor. About a week later it came on again and was diagnosed with a bad air pump. Basicly the car is a lemon. The dealer is also an a-hole. Its also hard to sell a car that has the ck eng light covered up with tape. Make me an offer

Pip

40 mpg? I would have to see it to believe it. We have 82 package cars in the center I work in. I pulled up the mpg history on the fleet, couldn't find anything even close. The highest topped out at just under 19mpg. The lowest was just under 4mpg. most were in the 10 to 14 mpg range.

We don't have any of the hybrids here, so I couldn't tell you what kind of mileage they are getting. I wouldn't be suprise if some of those are over 20mpg.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Interesting statistic

"A 2006 study found that the average American walks about 900 miles a year.

Another study found that Americans drink an average of 22 gallons of beer a year.

That means, on average, Americans get about 41 miles per gallon."

Not Bad.

BCFan

What VW's get in milage is MORE than over shadowed in repair costs. It cost me $116.00 to replace 4 sparkplugs in my wifes Passat. Thats not a tuneup- just 4 plugs. Ive had it in 6 times (at about 2 to 3 hundred bucks a pop)since it was new in 2001 to get the "check engine" light off. Today the service manager had the balls to tell me that it has been a "good" car for us. My advise to everyone is stay away from VW
:crying: yea that's what my research told me....repairs are expensive on the VW...i had considered a VW back a few years ago but my cheap :censored2: had a visual of sacks of money with wings floatingg away every time the car needed service..... And to the poster that said we dont need big blocks with about 50 over 70 bales (rolls) of carpets to deliver and about that many on the return trip the big block is the preferred mule for this ole boy:thumbup1: :thumbup1: ---->BC

satellitedriver

Interesting statistic

"A 2006 study found that the average American walks about 900 miles a year.

Another study found that Americans drink an average of 22 gallons of beer a year.

That means, on average, Americans get about 41 miles per gallon."

Not Bad.
Damn, I'm getting a hundred miles to the gallon and didn't even know it.

satellitedriver

I have no problem changing my own sparkplugs but at the time the car was just out of warantee when the ck eng light came on so I took it in and when I picked it up there was the bill for 4 new plugs. P.S. 3 days later the light came on again. This time it supposedly was an oxygen sensor. About a week later it came on again and was diagnosed with a bad air pump. Basicly the car is a lemon. The dealer is also an a-hole. Its also hard to sell a car that has the ck eng light covered up with tape. Make me an offer
No offense intended in my previous post. My 63' VW could be rebuilt from the ground up with tools that could fit in a lunch box. As they say, those were the good ole' days. A sneaky trick, if you are so inclined, is to unplug the bulb behind the check engine light. That will have to be your call.
Good luck.

SmithBarney

Yeah about the VWs... I would correct my statement by saying "older" VWs
from about 2000 and up they have been more electrical issues with the machines..
I'd love to see UPS trucks with that kind of reliability.
Of course they could buy the VW diesel engine and bring it over
makes more HP and Torque than most US trucks 3500, F350 etc.
and gets pretty good mileage.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My 63' VW could be rebuilt from the ground up with tools that could fit in a lunch box. As they say, those were the good ole' days.

No kidding, the old bugs were easy to fix. Undo four transaxle bolts, disconnect starter, fuel line, drop engine to the ground with a floor jack. When I was growing up, my best friend's father had a Foreign Car Repair Shop. We used to hang out there, that's where I learned to work on cars. A funny short story: Their last name was Lavendar, his dad takes off for a month in his RV to go out west on vacation. He tells them to repaint the shop, he didn't care what color. So we painted it Purple, it stayed that color in the middle of town for twenty years!:closedeye

satellitedriver

No kidding, the old bugs were easy to fix. Undo four transaxle bolts, disconnect starter, fuel line, drop engine to the ground with a floor jack. When I was growing up, my best friend's father had a Foreign Car Repair Shop. We used to hang out there, that's where I learned to work on cars. A funny short story: Their last name was Lavendar, his dad takes off for a month in his RV to go out west on vacation. He tells them to repaint the shop, he didn't care what color. So we painted it Purple, it stayed that color in the middle of town for twenty years!:closedeye
And, who says you don't have a sense of humor?

raceanoncr

Did Jerry Falwell go after him too?