401K Withdrawl

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have a question about taking money out of my Traditional 401K. I am currently working and 61 years old. I am thinking about retiring August or October of next year. We are looking at building a new house in an Active 55 Retirement Community and moving then. I want to take some money out of my 401K next Spring as a down payment to start construction before I sell my current home. So my question is can I take some out just for that or do I have to make myself a loan and pay it back to myself?

I have a question about taking money out of my Traditional 401K. I am currently working and 61 years old. I am thinking about retiring August or October of next year. We are looking at building a new house in an Active 55 Retirement Community and moving then. I want to take some money out of my 401K next Spring as a down payment to start construction before I sell my current home. So my question is can I take some out or do I have to make myself a loan and pay it back to myself?
They do not allow in service withdrawals

The problem with taking a loan out is you have a very limited time to repay it back
I believe it's 60 days after you retire.

Probably isn't a big deal because you wouldn't have a pre 59 1/2 penalty.

Talk to your bank and see what they can do for you.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I do have a couple of banker friends so I guess I need to contact them. It seems stupid to loan myself money and have to pay it back at what I assume would be a high interest rate. I just need to come up with $15K to start construction. I plan on paying for half of it when I sell my current home.

I do have a couple of banker friends so I guess I need to contact them. It seems stupid to loan myself money and have to pay it back at what I assume would be a high interest rate. I just need to come up with $15K to start construction. I plan on paying for half of it when I sell my current home.
Take out a home equity loan?

Quit putting money in the 401k and save the cash?

I don't know, just throwing a few ideas out there?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your best bet to avoid the 20% withholding tax (the 10% penalty would not apply due to your age) would be to take out a loan from your 401k. If you do leave the company while the loan is still active you would have until April 15th of the year after you leave to repay the loan in full. You could do that with the proceeds from the sale of your current home or you could take a partial distribution when you rollover your 401k upon retirement. You would have to pay taxes on the partial distribution.

Can a 401(k) Be Used for a House Down Payment?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They do not allow in service withdrawals

The problem with taking a loan out is you have a very limited time to repay it back
I believe it's 60 days after you retire.

Probably isn't a big deal because you wouldn't have a pre 59 1/2 penalty.

Talk to your bank and see what they can do for you.

1. Not true.

2. This was true but was changed with the new tax cuts. You now have until April 15th of the year after you separate to repay the loan in full.

3. True.

4. No need to talk to his bank.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
actually you can take your 401k out after age 59 for whatever, regardless if your working and you dont need a loan

Jkloc420

If he wanted he could just take the whole amount pay the taxes and avoid it later down the road

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have been cramming my 401K as much as possible lately, I raised my weekly contribution to 25% up from 20. I stuck all of my Option Week in there yesterday too. I really don't want to take anything out of it. I have a couple of people wanting me to invest in Variable Annuities but my future home plans are giving me second thoughts about that. Options off the top of my head are to get a bank loan, 401K withdrawl, or use a credit card. I have zero credit card debt and a 820 FICO score so getting loans are no problem.

Jkloc420

i
I have been cramming my 401K as much as possible lately, I raised my weekly contribution to 25% up from 20. I stuck all of my Option Week in there yesterday too. I really don't want to take anything out of it. I have a couple of people wanting me to invest in Variable Annuities but my future home plans are giving me second thoughts about that. Options off the top of my head are to get a bank loan, 401K withdrawl, or use a credit card. I have zero credit card debt and a 820 FICO score so getting loans are no problem.
depends on how long you plan to live, other sources of income and if you want the money down the road

You will figure it out

But please don't invest into an annuity
I know you have a friend in the business but get a second opinion