44 finally qualifies for a race!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
No he did not, last I heard is this is the 11th race he cannot even qualify for. Hes trying to be what DW was in his day, he got to Daytona on the skill of DE sr, and hes worthless as a driver since Toyotster. DW could do it in trucks, he cant do it in a car. Any car. AS for Jarrett, same as DW, quite while you are still on top, dont beat it to death. I remember how sad it was watching DW trying to make it in a Kmart car, or whatever it was. Face it with the new NASCAR, it isnt what you bring its how much money you have. I used to love NASCAR, now its all about the money, I would rather watch PINKS, or the local track and run what you brung.

DorkHead

I can`t believe our company followed this guy. He is at the end of his career and Toyota won`t be a factor for a couple years. IMHO pissing away big money and getting zero or minimum exposure.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
It's about time DJ makes a race. I hope he makes us proud to be on the car!

Proud?? DJ has been a non factor since day one. UPS should be embarassed by his performance. Was this a guarantee contract? Is he the only one allowed to drive the #44??? Just watch him self-destruct and anchor the tail end of the pack.

I (We), All the people who follow the #44 Toyota (Ugh!) want results and we want it now!!!!!!!!

Cementups

Box Monkey
My bad, I was mistaken about MW. He wrecked on his 2nd qualifyng lap. His first lap was actually good enough to make it in on tim e but wrecking ruined his chance.

8Years2Go

Final practice speeds just in! DJ was dead last at more then 6 MPH slower then the fastest, Carl Edwards. Can you say LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG day.

rapidrandall

slow but sure
All the Toyota teams, except for Blaney seem to be really behind the Chevys, Fords and Dodges. Waltrip racing is no exception. Michael should probably have someone else try qualify his car for him and consider just being an owner. It would be nice to see DJ finish on the lead lap, but it doesn't look promising. At least DJ does a good job announcing the Busch races on ESPN.

tieguy

Banned
I was talking to a sportswriter who covers NASCAR last month. He feels UPS's support of Jarrett is bigger then whether DJ wins or loses. In his opinion DJ is a very positive role model that earns us a lot on the marketing side of the business.

raceanoncr

I was talking to a sportswriter who covers NASCAR last month. He feels UPS's support of Jarrett is bigger then whether DJ wins or loses. In his opinion DJ is a very positive role model that earns us a lot on the marketing side of the business.

From my PR work with drag racing, the sponsers view is, "How much bang are we getting for our buck". In other words, some care if their driver is winning, some don't. BUT...how much is the sponsors product displayed or mentioned during qualifying, racing, or post interviews?

Case in point. DJs getting alot o ink here. Good or bad. He's getting alot o comments. Every time you mention his name, UPS is also mentioned or at least thot about. Bang for the buck.

BCFan

I have never been a real big fan of Dale Jarrett but I agree he is a VERY positive advertising model... He will never be the racer that dad Ned was (kinda like the No.8 driver) but I feel that Toyota IS dedicated to winning on Sunday and they (Toyota) WILL pump the money into the program that is needed to get Checkers on Sunday. Rumor has it that the head fugi's over in Toyko have a keen eye focused on the left turn circuit . and will get their program together real soon!!!! GO Dale GO !!!!:thumbup1:BC

upsgrunt

Being a good role model and the marketing that goes with it is good, but from an advertising angle you also have to look at target audience, coverage, market share, and exposure. While the commercials are pretty good, to get the most for our money I feel he at least needs to make race appearances and run respectable to get more TV time. From the movie Days of Thunder, "In order to win a race, the first thing you have to do is finish the race." In Jarretts case we should pray that he actually qualifies!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have never been a real big fan of Dale Jarrett but I agree he is a VERY positive advertising model... He will never be the racer that dad Ned was (kinda like the No.8 driver) but I feel that Toyota IS dedicated to winning on Sunday and they (Toyota) WILL pump the money into the program that is needed to get Checkers on Sunday. Rumor has it that the head fugi's over in Toyko have a keen eye focused on the left turn circuit . and will get their program together real soon!!!! GO Dale GO !!!!:thumbup1:BC
I disagree about the number 8 driver, and I was never a big E fan, my husband is, I just liked him, last of the good ole boys.
I think little E will be much better, once he gets out from under the wing of the wicked stepmother. DEI should be Dale JRS, and Kerry, And Taylors, Not Theresa. JMHO

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Well, Jarret is ahead of three cars right now out of last place........its just that there are so many in front of him!:w00t:

tups

Well, Jarret is ahead of three cars right now out of last place........its just that there are so many in front of him!:w00t:

And that 'new' Toyota motor blew up and he didn't finish the race. I think they should start using the engines we got in some of the trucks.....at least they are bullet proof and no matter how much I try, I cannot blow up the motor on the old P800's and 500's we got in our center!
He may not win with that motor, but at least he'd finish! Race the Truck!!

Dutch Dawg

I have to agree that DJ is a wonderful God fearing family man that presents well on screen and in person. He's a safe, stoic, stable, recognizable icon, that fits in well with the image UPS desires to present.

But then again if your product sets in the back of a lower shelf where the consumer is likely to overlook it. The product value is diminished. The fact remains old #44 is not giving the company 2+ hours of weekly national television exposure.

Some might even argue he presents an outdated image of Nascar compared to other teams and a few might even equate that to the image UPS presents.

While UPS does not solely depend upon employee pride to thrive, I believe it an integral element to a healthy work environment. Dale's on track performance does nothing to add to pride in the workplace, in fact he has just the opposite effect. Frankly I'm just another cog in the wheel, but if the decision were left to me, I'd rethink the UPS / Dale Jarret relationship.

diesel96

Maybe Dale,UPS and Toyota should try DRIFTING,where the action is a little slower,but experience is more beneificial.

I guess its OK to spend millions in NASCAR AD Sponsorships with no "air time"in return. And,I guess its OK to be the "highest paid driver" in UPS and be 2 laps "over-allow" each race(if he even qualified)

But I could'nt use excuses of my so called"poor perfomance".Sorry Boss,"I know I did'nt make 9Five but at least I was a positive role model that earn UPS alot of driver marketing."

Or maybe we just need to tie some heavy ankle weights on Dale's right leg,and put some lead in his shoe.

hoser

Industrial Slob
it is true.

but it's also true that he sucks.

you can find a 21 year old southerner that has just as good of an attitude. and that can win you races, as well.