45% Of Doctors Would Consider Quitting If Congress Passes Health Care Overhaul

brett636

Yes, we have them comming here, too. Just doesn't make your news.
And you won't change my mind...

Saturday, September 26, 2009

We favour our health care to U.S. system: poll

By Steve Rennie, THE CANADIAN PRESS
Last Updated: 10th July 2009, 2:22pm

OTTAWA — Canadians think their American neighbours would be wise to look north as they grapple with a massive health-care overhaul.
That’s the conclusion drawn from a new poll published as Capitol Hill legislators debate a plan to cover nearly all Americans with government-run health insurance.
The Canadian Press Harris-Decima survey suggests 82% of Canadians believe our system is better than U.S. health care.
The Canadian health-care system has been in the spotlight for weeks at congressional hearings, where it has alternately been characterized as the gold standard and a rusty system plagued with problems and delays.
By the end of the month, the House of Representatives hopes to vote on a health reform plan, and U.S. President Barack Obama has said he wants legislation by October.
Last week, the two leaders of the Senate health committee announced that they’d come up with a government-run insurance option to compete with private insurance plans.
The plan carries a US$611-billion price tag — cheaper than the original $1 trillion estimate — and is supposed to cover 97% of Americans.
Currently, 47 million U.S. citizens — mostly the poor — have none. The U.S. also has the highest health-care costs of any country in the industrialized world.
Those figures might explain Canadians’ preference for their own health-care system, said Harris-Decima vice-president Jeff Walker.
“I think what’s happened over the last year or two is that even more problems associated with the U.S. health-care system have come to light,” he said.
“President Obama has certainly put them at the centre of his agenda to deal with problems in that system.
“I think there’s a growing sense that going fully private, or having some version of an almost fully private model like the American one, doesn’t necessarily serve the broader interest the way Canadians would want it to be served.”

The poll also suggests 70% of Canadians think their health-care system is working well or very well, while the remainder feel the system is either not working well or not working well at all.

Of course Canadians think their healthcare system is superior. They will never understand that is not normal to wait an average of 77 days for chemotherapy, or that we have higher rates of prostate cancer survival than in Canada. Your system is ok as long as you are not seriously ill. Otherwise the Canadian healthcare system can be a nightmare. Your system sucks when it is needed the most, plain and simple.

klein

Für Meno :)
Of course Canadians think their healthcare system is superior. They will never understand that is not normal to wait an average of 77 days for chemotherapy, or that we have higher rates of prostate cancer survival than in Canada. Your system is ok as long as you are not seriously ill. Otherwise the Canadian healthcare system can be a nightmare. Your system sucks when it is needed the most, plain and simple.

by Holly Dressel
posted Aug 04, 2006 From 2006! Your spending is now at $7000 year.
And look at the wHO website, ofcourse we have it better then you.
http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/health-care-for-all/1503

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The last sentence, "who cares, Im alive".
Im so thanking God that we didnt have this long wait when my husband had his widowmaker. In surgery within two hours, and monitored until then. I dread the thought of the future with rationed healthcare, or a "wait", I would be a widow.
Fix it for those who have none, leave the rest of us alone. Fix medicare and medicaid, expand the guidelines. Find a way to fund it, and quit trying to "change" everything!

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
My Neurologist discussed this topic when I was admitted to the hospital earlier this month.

He feels his hands will be tied.

He indicated to me what he feels the problem with Health Care reform is getting to the diagnosis. He felt the hoops a patient will endure to get to a diagnosis will eat valuable time.

And yes, he did indicate that he would consider pulling up his practice. He thinks there could be opportunity for his knowledge as a consultant to the NFL.

He also said becoming a paramedic and (becoming) union protected would be a great option.

These guys are bitter.

And Klein, I love ya but don't reply. :happy2:

island1fox

:happy-very:Lets see--
Some Percentage of Doctors quitting or retiring early-
Less enrollment in med schools -
Adding 30 million or 40 million additional people-
Giving business -even UPS -the option to pay gov penalty and drop health care-
No tort reform at all
No new hospitals or medical centers-

Now I am truly sure my present medical CARE AND COVERAGE will remain as it is now ---WHY ---because OBAMA says so ??????:sad-little:

klein

Sorry, I don't have time to watch 52 min. of nonsense. You keep your healthcare system you have, I will keep my superior healthcare here. Thanks! :D

It's not 52min of nonsense !
Maybe 52 min of tragedy. That having no insuance can happen to any American, even yourself, or your wife.
If you passed away in the future, is your spouse and children covered ?
If not they need private insurance, but if your spouse has a pre-condition, she won't be able to get one, or afford one.

Heck, if i moved there, I couldn't get one (with pre condition of diabetes).
Or even something smaller like astma.

The vid, will give you a few tears, maybe. Some parts are really sad.

I agree Brett, keep your bloody, deadly, expensive system.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
klein

please stop.

I am glad you feel pride in your country.
I love my country.

Please conserve your energy and allow us to fight this out ourselves without injecting us with the health care system enjoyed by our friends to our north.

klein

klein

please stop.

I am glad you feel pride in your country.
I love my country.

Please conserve your energy and allow us to fight this out ourselves without injecting us with the health care system enjoyed by our friends to our north.

I didn't start it ~! But, when Canada or may it be Germany, is mentioned how rotten our system is , then I need to defend it.
I lived under both plans.

Fight it out in a different and more truely matter, and I won't interfere.
i.E : "You don't want the whole nation to have healthcare, because it will effect the ones that do have it."

Don't compare it to us... and i'll leave it alone. You got my word.
Even if more and more Americans, (living in Canada), will be on the news, after watching that story today.

That news story gave me an idea, actually.
I should be looking for singles in america, those with no insurance, or pay so heavily to have one. ~ Might be an easier catch for me. ;)

And another note: Still planning to retire at age 55max.
No need to put money aside for medical insurance. Only for myself.

Last edited:

brett636

It's not 52min of nonsense !
Maybe 52 min of tragedy. That having no insuance can happen to any American, even yourself, or your wife.
If you passed away in the future, is your spouse and children covered ?
If not they need private insurance, but if your spouse has a pre-condition, she won't be able to get one, or afford one.

Heck, if i moved there, I couldn't get one (with pre condition of diabetes).
Or even something smaller like astma.

The vid, will give you a few tears, maybe. Some parts are really sad.

I agree Brett, keep your bloody, deadly, expensive system.

You know Klien, from your postings about yourself and the kind of decisions you make coupled with your writing style I will have to say you are the perfect target audience for these kind of government programs. Nothing personal, but your very small minded and not too bright and that is exactly the kind of people the democrats need here to get their healthcare bill passed. You eat up this government needs to be involved in my healthcare bit, and I can see you truly believe in it despite how its inevitably going to fail you as your life progresses. I would be all for more government involvement in our healthcare if I believed it worked like the politicians claim, but I look at the Indian Reservation health services and the Veterans Hospitals, both run completely by the government, and I dread the thought of my healthcare choices being limited to something even remotely similar. I'm happy for you that you are that serious about government involvement in your healthcare choices. Ultimately I am a free marketeer and have witnessed the true majesty of true competition(not government run competition) in this country. I know that if the free market were allowed to operate as its intended we would not only continue to have the best healthcare on the planet, but the cheapest as well. The problem is today's politicians do not believe in the individual, but desire more power in government. Controlling 1/6th of our economy is their goal, not helping the people you highlight in those videos. We will all suffer here if any of these healthcare bills passes, and our only hope will be a hard line conservative Politicians in both the white house and Congress.

Goodluck with your healthcare in the north and may it not let you down when you need it most. :peaceful:

diesel96

You know Klien, from your postings about yourself and the kind of decisions you make coupled with your writing style I will have to say you are the perfect target audience for these kind of government programs. Nothing personal, but your very small minded and not too bright and that is exactly the kind of people the democrats need here to get their healthcare bill passed. You eat up this government needs to be involved in my healthcare bit, and I can see you truly believe in it despite how its inevitably going to fail you as your life progresses. I would be all for more government involvement in our healthcare if I believed it worked like the politicians claim, but I look at the Indian Reservation health services and the Veterans Hospitals, both run completely by the government, and I dread the thought of my healthcare choices being limited to something even remotely similar. I'm happy for you that you are that serious about government involvement in your healthcare choices. Ultimately I am a free marketeer and have witnessed the true majesty of true competition(not government run competition) in this country. I know that if the free market were allowed to operate as its intended we would not only continue to have the best healthcare on the planet, but the cheapest as well. The problem is today's politicians do not believe in the individual, but desire more power in government. Controlling 1/6th of our economy is their goal, not helping the people you highlight in those videos. We will all suffer here if any of these healthcare bills passes, and our only hope will be a hard line conservative Politicians in both the white house and Congress.

Goodluck with your healthcare in the north and may it not let you down when you need it most. :peaceful:
A man walks down an old road and comes to a gate across the road with no obvious purpose.
A Liberal thinks "I don't see any reason why the gate here is closed, and it obstructs traffic", and leaves the gate open.
A Conservative thinks "Someone thought it was necessary to build a gate across this road, so until I know why, I'll leave the gate closed."
It's one of my favorite analogies because it captures the strengths and weaknesses of both sides. Sometimes, the way things are is just an artifact of inertia. And sometimes, the way things are, represents a wisdom that isn't obvious at first, or even second, glance.
Hopefully, one day Brett, even you, will have grown to bottle up some of that wisdom. However now, your ilk has become a little tiresome along with your juvenile pokes of insulting posters, time and time again, of having small minded intelligence simply for seeing the glass half empty or half full...It's healthy to be angry and be a dissenter. Having your own beliefs is the core of a democracy. If you really believe our president is a Nazi incogneto, wants to kill seniors, is Satan's cabana boy, or will institute death camps for vaccine deniers, then I respectfully suggest you change your news channel and take a deep breath. None of that is true. It's all crazy talk meant to cultivate irrational hatred.

You are smarter than that. You have to be otherwise our society is doomed, and I don't believe we are doomed. I really think that we are smarter than all of this nonsense. And so, let me direct you back to Obama's speech as understood by third graders.

Take responsibility for your own knowledge.

Be respectful.
If you fail, it doesn't mean you are stupid.

Gee. I think Obama's speech was more apropos than we might have known. I'm not sure he was actually talking to our kids. I think he might have been talking to us.

klein

Ultimately I am a free marketeer and have witnessed the true majesty of true competition(not government run competition) in this country. I know that if the free market were allowed to operate as its intended we would not only continue to have the best healthcare on the planet, but the cheapest as well. The problem is today's politicians do not believe in the individual, but desire more power in government. Controlling 1/6th of our economy is their goal, not helping the people you highlight in those videos. We will all suffer here if any of these healthcare bills passes, and our only hope will be a hard line conservative Politicians in both the white house and Congress.
Free market:
1.) Pay your healthinsurance after taxes. Don't let government subsidize you. (since others, with no company plan need to pay it with net income).
2.) Get rid of medicare and -aid. = Get your own insurance once you retire (if your lucky enough not to have a pre condition and an insurance will accept you).
3.) No more government subsidies for medical research, equiptment, facitlities or land.

Should bring you back to the middle age, but your already 50years behind any other industrial country - so no big deal.

Don't forget to get rid of the union, too. In your free market society they pay by performance, not everyone equally.

My government will be here for my lifetime. Can you say the same about UPS or even your hub ?
Maybe, have a bad month with 2 or 3 accidents, and your fired ?
Maybe hub shut down, or contracted out ?
Maybe, they'll drop the insurance plan ?
Who knows what the future may hold for 1 particular job or employer ?

I rather count on my government, then on a single job, anyday !

And on another note: Michael J Fox was interviewed on CBC last night, on a show called "The Hour".
He got briefly asked about the US heathcare debate.
He said he couldn't believe the hatred and anger it created.
He also says, he pays taxes and he expects some of his taxes to go to the less fortunate.
Couldn't believe babies are dying, because they don't get the care they need.
He also couldn't believe the Obama bashing going on. Gee, he's been elected, give it up !

The few words he said, reminded me soo much about a few BC threads on here.

Last edited:

fact check

Brett,

Care to explain exactly how 'Free Market' would work in medicine?

Will doctor's still be licensed to practice? Who will provide that license?

If it's a free market, will anyone be allowed to sell their 'medical services' to whomever is willing to pay?

If it's free market, will the insurance companies be allowed to exclude whomever they wish from coverage? Will they be subject to regulation?

Will drugs be regulated? Will the FDA still exist?

Will an individual be able to negotiate the best price for CT scan? Will they be allowed to pay what an insurance company has agreed to pay?

I could go on an on, but you pseudo libertarian/paulists are very small minded and not too bright and that is exactly the kind of people the corporations need here to get a health care bill defeated.

over9five

Staff member
Wouldn't it be faster to just say, "Anyone who disagrees with me is very small minded and not too bright"?

You could get to the insult faster, and save yourself a lot of keystrokes.

fact check

Wouldn't it be faster to just say, "Anyone who disagrees with me is very small minded and not too bright"?

You could get to the insult faster, and save yourself a lot of keystrokes.
Actually, that is pretty much word for word copied from Brent's response.

Thanks for showing your hypocrisy.