45 yr old considering PT Handler job for benefits. Some questions & input desired...

hoser

Industrial Slob
Re: 45 yr old considering PT Handler job for benefits. Some questions & input desired

try getting a part time driving position. a much better fit for someone older in my opinion, you get a uniform, deal with people your age all day (clients), have no boss on your back all the time, you're not standing in one spot all night.

as a handler, your supervisor is a 20 year old, your co-workers are 18 year olds, and your tasks are jobs that can be completed by a 14 year old. if you can get a nice mp3 player and have a great talent at spacing out, then perhaps handling is a good choice.
also, UPS is run a lot less like a transportation company and way more like a warehouse. they're not very selective in who they hire and you seem like a very capable and intelligent person, so it may not be a good fit.

therefore, maybe consider a hadling or driving position with fedex? their health is pretty good and either as a driver or handler, your co-workers (and supervisors) are a bit more professional and mature.

LKLND3380

Re: 45 yr old considering PT Handler job for benefits. Some questions & input desired

spoke to the local union rep (who was very nice and helpful)...

benefits start 4 months after hire (unless seasonal). all benefits start at the same time (health, dental, vision). no pre-existing condition clause. choice of health plan are limited the 1st year- after that, you have full choices @ open enrollment.

i am going to apply. there are several locations in my area with openings- i guess i'll apply at 3 of them since they're all about the same distance from home. have any of you done that? ie: applied to several locations and checked each out- wondering whether UPS frowns on that...

You apply online and I think you can only apply for one location. The computer system will reject multiple locations. The HR rep will be from the district as the other locations close to you and can forward...

K

kibbles

If you're in good shape and need the healthcare coverage, you won't have a problem getting hired. But the coverage will most likely change in 2008 from the looks of the contract info, and you won't be covered for the first year. Don't even consider a Supervisor job if you have another job. Get paid by the hour. Part-time Sups work harder then the hourlys because it rolls down hill, and they are the ones that get beat on for things not running the way someone says the should. They are salaried employees, and don't get extra compensation. Good luck if you choose this mission.

LKLND3380

If you're in good shape and need the healthcare coverage, you won't have a problem getting hired. But the coverage will most likely change in 2008 from the looks of the contract info, and you won't be covered for the first year. Don't even consider a Supervisor job if you have another job. Get paid by the hour. Part-time Sups work harder then the hourlys because it rolls down hill, and they are the ones that get beat on for things not running the way someone says the should. They are salaried employees, and don't get extra compensation. Good luck if you choose this mission.

IF the contract is accepted it will change for people hired AFTER July 31, 2008.

In August UPS slows down hiring and there are almost no new hires in September. UPS would rather wait and hire in October so people are seasonal an no benefits...

28 and ready to work

28 yr.old female not sure if i'm seasonal or not

this is going into my second week of working as a package handler, and I really was offered the position two months ago ,and I didn't accept it. But eventually accepted it after the other job didn't work out for me. I as a little nervous about asking that question. But if I am will I be considered for a regular employee?by the way I like the job I need the work out, and I needed another field of work besides h. care . I would like to retire from there not as a package handler but in another dept. Great Work Enviroment