45 yr old considering PT Handler job for benefits. Some questions & input desired...

Been lurking, time to step up. I have my own business, which I enjoy, and I make OK money but no health insurance- even minor pre-existing conditions get you declined or make it crazy expensive when you're self employed. So, I'm considering part time Brown. Can I trouble you all with a few questions...

1. Am I correct that health insurance would start after 30 days? what about dental?

2. Is there a pre-existing conditions clause in the health insurance which makes you wait 3/6/12 months before they will cover them? (this one is very important to me)

3. Is there a detailed benefits book that I could download (I assume not, but doesn't hurt to ask)?

4. I've spent hours reading posts here and it sounds like the consensus opinion is that anyone willing to work with a pulse can get hired as a handler. What about a 45 year old pulse? Will my age keep me from even getting an interview?

5. There are dockworker jobs in my area too- any pros/cons for one over another (I assume the dockworker job is non-union- yes?).

6. I understand that seniority rules @ UPS, but I read posts that PT Sup jobs are hard to fill in some locations. Are the PT Sup jobs that bad? Why? Wondering how long it would take to be considered for a PT Sup job. If it matters, long ago I served as an officer in the Army (I was an enlisted man first, so I paid my dues).

I am in reasonable shape, sit all day for my regular work- i don't mind physical work (trying to view it in a positive light as a paid alternative to going to the gym). Anyone know any guys around my age doing this job? Did they survive?!

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

#1angelfan

Re: 45 yr old considering PT Handler job for benefits. Some questions & input desired

i know people older than you that are pushing boxes. it all depends on if you can handle the work. if you are willing to try, they will probably hire you. i preloaded for 9 years, i am a 43 year old female. i am now in small sort which is much easier. as for the benefits, they start after 6 months. they don't do checking into pre existing medical issues you have, at least not that i knoe of. good luck if you decided to join us here at ups.

old levi's

blank space
Re: 45 yr old considering PT Handler job for benefits. Some questions & input desired

Someone else would be better qualified to answer your insurance questions but I can comment on the age issue. At 44 I was still loading pkg. cars beginning at 0330 each morning and afterwards going to work in a very large warehouse enviroment for 9 hours with my shift ending at 1900 hours. Then I would go home, eat supper, and go to bed. Now, I drive a pkg. route every day at age 55. Granted there will come a time when the body says no more of this, but my point is: detirmination and willpower are powerful assets.

i know people older than you that are pushing boxes. it all depends on if you can handle the work. if you are willing to try, they will probably hire you. i preloaded for 9 years, i am a 43 year old female. i am now in small sort which is much easier. as for the benefits, they start after 6 months. they don't do checking into pre existing medical issues you have, at least not that i knoe of. good luck if you decided to join us here at ups.

Thanks for the info.

Very disappointing news. I had been told by a UPS employee that the health insurance started after 30 days for the employee and 6 months for dependents. United Airlines and a few others start your benefits on day 1. Like I said, that's a disappointing wrench in my plans...

yurgref

If I remember right you are on probation for 70 days and once you make seniority benefits kick in 30 days after that. All these are working days not calendar days

VTBrown

UPS has a fairly high turnover rate for package handlers.

You can understand the problems that would arise with benefits being provided on your hire date.

Another misconception is that it is UPS's desire for that. The Teamsters provide our benefits and it has nothing to do with days worked once you've gained your access to the Union. It's hours per quarter. UPS only pays a certain dollar amount for every hour you work to the benefit plan per employee.

Don't meet the hours? Expect to pay in for your health benefits. Though in reality unless your a chronic absentee it's hard not to meet your hours.

N

not registrd yet

I completed my 30 days on my 40th bday and have been loading for 2 yrs now. You can do it. It is tough at first, some aches n pains but it gets easier as you go along. On my belt we had a guy in his early 60s, drives one shift and loads the 2nd. He started in his 50s !! All the pt supes Ive had have been cool, they appreciate someone that comes in with the attitude of wanting to work and not coast for the shift. Hell, most of us "older crew" have better work ethic than some of the 20 somethings. Ive seen a lot of young ones come and go. They seem to be focused only on the cash, but the benefits are what I work for. And yeah cant beat getting paid to workout :)
Not all loads are the same, some are very heavy, others lesser volume. Show up, give a good effort and you will do fine.
Oh, and after youve been there awhile, ask for the load charts for the trucks on your belt, take the "pickoff" test... its an extra $1/hr, even if you dont do the pickoff job.

Best of luck and give it hell :)

tritese

tritese

yes.......i have a 45 yr. old employee start out in the load where i pick off.......you can do it.......the money isn't all that but, i think it is well worth the benefits......that is what keeps me there with 18 years.........i make decent money but that is because of the longevity.......i am sure you will do fine once you get use to it and as i read in an earlier post, your work ethic is probably better than the "kids" that i work with.......definitely a different breed of young folks these days.......they don't even want to show up.......i tell them all the time all they have to do is show and act like they're working, not like the old days..........use to be two trailers to one loader, now it is two loaders to one trailer.......

UPS has a fairly high turnover rate for package handlers.

You can understand the problems that would arise with benefits being provided on your hire date.

yes, but, given the extremely low starting wage (here in CA, it's lower than almost any other job) and the fact that 6 months is the longest you'll wait for benefits anywhere that offers them, i'd have thought UPS would be a shorter wait period just because the benefits are their best drawing card. good thing i came here to confirm the info; my source of info was positive it was 30 days-guess he forgot about the >3 1/2 month's probation preceding the 30 days.

so, to be clear, if i worked 5 days/week, it would take 14 weeks to get past probation and then, from that date, 30 more days until i would be eligible for benefits? so, 5 months without benefits but you start paying union dues from the get go?

Anyone know for sure, thru personal experience, that there is no pre-existing condition wait period once you're on the insurance? because, if there were, it could end up being 11 months, or even 17 month!

disneyworld

Go and fill out an application and they should be able to answer all your questions there. I don't ever remember filling out a questionnaire about health conditions, but it may have changed. You can handle it at 45, just pace yourself. Good Luck

It's different all over the country. In my region we get health benefits after 70 days.

hmmm, another data point. i guess i would have thought, being a union contract, that it would be the same everywhere. since it's been posted that the benefits are actually thru the teamsters, i'll call the local teamsters on monday and hope to get a definitive answer.

in case you are all wondering why i don't just ask UPS in the interview: i'd like to know the answer in advance, so it doesn't become the focal point of my interview and raise a 'geesh, he's 45 and got some major illness to boot' red flag (not the case, btw).

wonder if it's significantly different yet again for dockworkers/UPS freight. anyone know?

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor

if you apply now then most likely you would get a seasonal job, then you have bust your ass for a chance to stay as a regular.

Air Hub

if you apply now then most likely you would get a seasonal job, then you have bust your ass for a chance to stay as a regular.

After Oct 1 it is a season hire or temp worker, better to get hired Jan 1.
Time to get benefits will vary by state and work location. Dont worry about pre-existing issues as they dont ask and you dont need to tell.

DS

Fenderbender

in case you are all wondering why i don't just ask UPS in the interview: i'd like to know the answer in advance, so it doesn't become the focal point of my interview and raise a 'geesh, he's 45 and got some major illness to boot' red flag (not the case, btw).
If its not the case,then why is it so important to you to get instant medical coverage?

blue efficacy

I thought PTers got benefits from UPS, not the union.

mnmnk00

Hi, my husband is a package handler here in ohio. He's only been there 3 months. He took the job for the benifits and was also told 30 days for medical and 6 months for dental/vision. It took us a couple weeks to finally be able to get any answers and i know he is finally covered and they said it would take a couple weeks for us to get the cards. Hope that helps.

Up_and_at_UPS

Coffee box sniffer

You will have to wait till jan1 to get hired as a reg, then wait 90 days to get 0.50 raise, then another 30 to get bennies. If you get hired now as seasonal, and make reg the first of the year, you will not get coverage till may 08. that's how it is here. I got hired as seasonal this past May, did not get reg till after Labor day, i have to wait till DEC to get my raise and Jan to get my bennies. Go to United Airlines if you want quick bennies, UPS is not the place. Do UPS only if you want to put about twenty years into a part time career. If you only need the Bennies and not the money, you can put up to 40% of your earnings into a 401k(15% pre-tax and 25% post, in 20 years that will be a good help as you retire. You will also be making about $30+ per hour if not more for part time work by the time you retire. I also believe that things will improve for the part timers, they have to. We are at the bottom of the barrel now, things have to improve or they will not be able to keep any new hires. I think know would be a good time to get in whle they are desperate for help. As wages and benefits improve they will not be as desperate as the pool to choose from will get bigger. If you don't do it now it is very likely you will be kicking yourself a year from now when they turn you away after this new contract improves the draw of the part time position and they turn away the older folks for the younger ones. I am being optimistic here about the contract, but there has to be improvement right:confused:1

dillweed

I started in my mid-30's on the unload, then to preload and now sorting. I sort and PAL mainly smalls but handle heavy bags of them and fill in wherever they need a body.

They didn't think I'd make it when I started but have held my own for almost 15 years. Not as fast as most of the younger, stronger ones but know the operation, use common sense and am consistent.

We now have a man in his 40's on the unload and he's doing a very good job. Doesn't screw around like some of the youngsters.

As far as insurance, like it was said, it can differ. There is a master contract and then supplements for different regions. Makes it very confusiing. My husband was injured at work and the comp insurance company (auto owners, beware all!) really screwed him over. I didn't call Aetna for a year, even though he was in pain, because I didn't think they'd cover pre-existing. When I did call they said it would have been covered right after comp was done with him! They have since paid and paid for his treatment without a peep.

I've never seen a detailed benefits book and it's like pulling teeth to get info from the company. I called Aetna myself and got accurate information and much support.

Showing up on time everyday and being willing to do what you're asked is the best way to assure that they keep you on. If you start now you're heading into peak and it will be hellish but just keep plugging away and control your temper.

PT management is for folks who can stay comfy and controlled while stuck between a rock and hard place. Upper management is screaming for numbers while, at the same time, you're trying to get many sloths to move their asses. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Your military experience would probably help but these kids are not made of the same stuff as army men. Most of them wouldn't pee on someone if they were on fire.

Go ahead and give it a try, most they can do is let you go and that may be a blessiing if you're struggling with it. You will become physically stronger and very proud of yourself for a good job that you do. Don't ever expect atta boys out of management. Your self-esteem must come from within. Good luck and let us know how it goes. dw