4th of July ........plans too

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Honestly.

There is a discussion about the inconvenience of this holiday, when the whole reason this holiday exists is because people died for this country.

I hate to be the one to bring up this irony, but if I may ... grow up.

edit: That's not singling out soberups, or anyone .. but just a general statement.

We celebrate memorial day on the last Monday in May, rather than on any fixed date. We also celebrate Presidents Day and MLK's birthday on Mondays rather than on the actual calendar date that these men were born on. Why should Independence Day be any different?

And the 4th of July is in commemeration of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence which occured on July 4 1776. The Revolutionary war itself did not end until 7 years later. To my knowledge, Independence Day has never been a "memorial day" for those who died in the war, it has been a celebration of independence from the British Crown.

Today, it is pretty much an extra day off at the beginnning of summer where people light fireworks and have barbecues with family and friends. Sounds like a great event to have on a Friday instead of mid week.

Buck Fifty

I don't care when it is, I just want to blow something up. Great friends, great booze, great food and then blow something up. Did I mention blowing something up ! :its_all_good:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The midweek interruption of volume creates staffing and dispatch issues. We run into this every time the 4th (or Christmas, or New Years Eve/day) is on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. A 3-day weekend is much easier to staff and plan volume for.

I agree that a 3 day weekend is much more convenient for all involved but think you are overplaying the impact a mid-week holiday has on our operation.

over9five

Staff member
I don't care when it is, I just want to blow something up. Great friends, great booze, great food and then blow something up. Did I mention blowing something up ! :its_all_good:

Instead of all that, you could just blow up something.

over9five

Staff member
I have........<sniff sniff...> no plans for tomorrow......

No-one loves me........:sad-very::sad-very::sad-very:

Think I'll pick up some concrete today and reattach some loose bricks on my brick wall.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
july4.jpg
july4.jpg

UPS Lifer

Birthdays are celebrated on the BIRTHDAY. Christmas is always on Dec 25th! Of course you can shoot holes in the fact that Dec 25th is an arbitrary day but it has been many centuries now. And to really throw salt into the wound, how about September 11th, eventually that may become a National Holiday. Should we celebrate that on a day other than 9-11?

Of course we could celebrate Easter on a Monday. After all it is about getting time off right? :happy-very:

I do agree with you on the logistical nightmare. But honestly, at UPS EVERY holiday is a logistical nightmare especially when you are in management. This holiday and the day after Thanksgiving were the worst for me. But I realized that it was not about me and it made it more bearable.

Last edited by a moderator:

UPS Lifer

I was planning to lay in the pool because we get 300 plus days of sunshine :swimming:

BUT TODAY IS NOT ONE OF THEM! ....Moonsoon! :rain:

More time to spend on the BBQ! :bbq: