4th of July

BrownSuit

I've been told to expect to work on the 4th for Saturday air. If we work, that's time and a half plus holiday pay right?

What Saturday Air are you delivering that day? The only thing moving that day would be Express Critical, Pre-arranged LTL-Urgent, or contract moves.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Come on man!!! Didn't you read the contract? SHEESH....

Nope, apparently I haven't. So tell me oh enlightened one, what exactly does the contract say in regards to the 4th of July on a Saturday as it pertains to an air only day? If you can show me where it answers that exact question, then I will make an apology thread and be genuinely apologetic. If you can't, then you're a jackass. I'm gonna look too. Update....I can't find my contract. I'm sorry If I've offended you contract Gods. Please forgive me and don't send me to eternal IBT hell. I'll repent.

Seriously, for you guys who get bent out of shape for a simple question, I feel sorry for the people around you. You have got to be uptight and miserable. Sorry if it's so hard to answer a simple question. The fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter what the contract says. UPS will do what they want and contract be damned. Apologies for the rant, but the holier than thou for reading the contract get really old really fast.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Nope, apparently I haven't. So tell me oh enlightened one, what exactly does the contract say in regards to the 4th of July on a Saturday as it pertains to an air only day? If you can show me where it answers that exact question, then I will make an apology thread and be genuinely apologetic. If you can't, then you're a jackass. I'm gonna look too. Update....I can't find my contract. I'm sorry If I've offended you contract Gods. Please forgive me and don't send me to eternal IBT hell. I'll repent.

Seriously, for you guys who get bent out of shape for a simple question, I feel sorry for the people around you. You have got to be uptight and miserable. Sorry if it's so hard to answer a simple question. The fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter what the contract says. UPS will do what they want and contract be damned. Apologies for the rant, but the holier than thou for reading the contract get really old really fast.

I agree about your point. You shouldn't be jumped on for asking a question like that. If the answer is that easy, then answer it and move on.

-------

(j) Holiday Work

When it is necessary to provide air service on holidays, the following
procedure shall be used:

(1) The Employer shall offer this work in seniority order to full-time air
drivers who have worked at least one (1) day that week before offering it to
part-time air drivers.

(2) When the scheduling needs cannot be met using the above provision, the
Employer shall have the right to force part-time air drivers and then full-time
air drivers to work starting in reverse order of seniority. If after
exhausting the above steps scheduling needs are still not met, the Employer
shall offer the work in seniority order within the package driver
classification. If more drivers are still needed the reverse seniority order
concept will be used for package drivers. Package car drivers who work on a
holiday may make a written request for an eight (8) hour guarantee. Such
written request shall be made the last work day prior to the holiday. All time
worked by these drivers on a holiday will be paid at the Supplemental holiday rate.

(3) The scheduling of the support work will be reviewed with the Local Union
prior to the holiday. If the Local Union believes that the Employer has
scheduled an excessive number of support employees, it shall have the right
to appeal directly to the National Air Committee. The National Air
Committee will review the schedule and determine whether the Employer
has scheduled an excessive number of support employees. If it is determined
by the National Air Committee that the Employer worked excessive support
employees, the excessive employees worked shall be paid double-time for
hours worked in addition to their holiday pay.

(4) Air drivers and support employees scheduled on a holiday to ensure air
service to the customer, including time performing incidental work, shall
receive straight-time for all hours worked up to eight (8) hours in addition to
the holiday pay. Overtime provisions shall apply if the employee works over
eight (8) hours.

SKAGITDRIVER

who here thinks UPS will shut down on a friday and miss a chance at revenue if you do I have a 97 ford in perfect condition I'll let you have at a great price...

UPSNewbie

who here thinks UPS will shut down on a friday and miss a chance at revenue if you do I have a 97 ford in perfect condition I'll let you have at a great price...

lol_wut.jpg

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
in the 20 yrs I have been here ,we allways work the 3rd of july no matter what day it fell on,Fri no exception. They will run,with day after Christmas type cut backs..If you have any juice,this is the week you want to take off due to understaffing,,bang ins and rte cuts..

705red

Browncafe Steward
in the 20 yrs I have been here ,we allways work the 3rd of july no matter what day it fell on,Fri no exception. They will run,with day after Christmas type cut backs..If you have any juice,this is the week you want to take off due to understaffing,,bang ins and rte cuts..
And triple time for 9.5s!!!!!!!!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hey cove,
Please educate me ... what is a bang in?
Thanks,
Hoax

surviv'n_it

At our center, they will base it off the Holiday information we get the weeks ahead of time and then they will post a volunteer sheet up for people who want to work. They usually know how many drivers they want and will force from the bottom up to fill any open spots. Our center is already down 5-7 routes per day as it is now so I am not sure how many they will run on the 3rd.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
really? You work out of Chema, correct? I hope they close on the 3rd as I work tue-sat:happy-very:

Yeah. So then you'd get Fri-Sat-Sun? :)

Well that is for hub operations, most people wouldn't be working if it indeed is shut down. Not EVERYONE is laid off, though.

off topic, how is that sub shop by your place? Billy Cahills? looks like they do alot of business there. i drive by there every day lol

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
Yeah. So then you'd get Fri-Sat-Sun? :)

Well that is for hub operations, most people wouldn't be working if it indeed is shut down. Not EVERYONE is laid off, though.

off topic, how is that sub shop by your place? Billy Cahills? looks like they do alot of business there. i drive by there every day lol

Not to sure, never eaten there.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We were told this morning during the PCM that Fed Ex Ground will not be running July 3rd. We were then told to let our major shippers know this and to also let them know that we would be more than happy to take whatever volume that they would have sent Fed Ex Ground on that day with the hope that they will convert this volume over to us on a permanent basis.

rod

Retired 22 years
We were told this morning during the PCM that Fed Ex Ground will not be running July 3rd. We were then told to let our major shippers know this and to also let them know that we would be more than happy to take whatever volume that they would have sent Fed Ex Ground on that day with the hope that they will convert this volume over to us on a permanent basis.

So what are you going to tell these customers on the friday after Thankgiving and New Years Eve Day? I see those were just normal working days at Fedex last year. Don't get me wrong- I loved those 2 day holidays when I was working :peaceful: