All air routes getting eliminated?

Method Mensch

I heard that UPS management is looking to eliminate all air driver positions in the Boston area. Has anybody else from other regions seen or heard anything similar? Not sure how feasible this would be.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
As of two weeks ago, our center has been told no 091 (air shuttle). The guys going to the airport code 092, and we've been having RPCDs shuttle to other local drivers, or the center manager has been creating two routes for the air drivers to bring air packages to the drivers who can't come back.
Our air is late 3/5 days a week.

Method Mensch

As of two weeks ago, our center has been told no 091 (air shuttle). The guys going to the airport code 092, and we've been having RPCDs shuttle to other local drivers, or the center manager has been creating two routes for the air drivers to bring air packages to the drivers who can't come back.
This confirms for me the difficulty of getting the job done without failing the service time cutoffs. Maybe this will be another little Management experiment that goes south, forcing them to immediately backtrack. It reminds me of when the first rolled out ground service on Saturdays. The forced half the drivers to bid a Tuesday to Saturday shift. 2 or 3 weeks later they realized that a crap ton of the slated volume couldn't move, since, you know, most businesses were closed to deliveries on Saturdays. They then had about 2 thirds of the recently converted Tuesday to Saturday crew rebid back into Monday through Friday. Colossal screw up.

Alternatively, they could just stop offering air service with a 10:30/noon guarantee and change it all to end of day.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
This confirms for me the difficulty of getting the job done without failing the service time cutoffs. Maybe this will be another little Management experiment that goes south, forcing them to immediately backtrack. It reminds me of when the first rolled out ground service on Saturdays. The forced half the drivers to bid a Tuesday to Saturday shift. 2 or 3 weeks later they realized that a crap ton of the slated volume couldn't move, since, you know, most businesses were closed to deliveries on Saturdays. They then had about 2 thirds of the recently converted Tuesday to Saturday crew rebid back into Monday through Friday. Colossal screw up.

Alternatively, they could just stop offering air service with a 10:30/noon guarantee and change it all to end of day.
Seems to me the main air hubs are having trouble processing the post COVID volume.
They've had conversations about just holding it all night and delivering the next day (with time commitments).

DOK

If our air is late we just sit on them until the next day, no shuttling.

Method Mensch

I'm a part-time air driver that runs a five- day- a- week route of all air. There's 4 PM air drivers that do strictly air pickups and 4 of us AM Air drivers that deliver. If they axe our delivery routes and put them on the full time routes, that would add at least on hour to their day. More importantly, those regular ground routes already have some air stops on them. If you add additional air stops , you're at best adding an hour to an hour and a half to their workload and at worst, failing to make service on all the air stops. It makes the routes less efficient by forcing the driver to do a separate all-air run to make the 10:30 deadline before starting the ground work, instead of unloading all the ground and all the air together in one fell swoop. The pickup routes could more easily be absorbed by the ground routes. It's mostly drop boxes, which they're getting rid of.

I'm a part-time air driver that runs a five- day- a- week route of all air. There's 4 PM air drivers that do strictly air pickups and 4 of us AM Air drivers that deliver. If they axe our delivery routes and put them on the full time routes, that would add at least on hour to their day. More importantly, those regular ground routes already have some air stops on them. If you add additional air stops , you're at best adding an hour to an hour and a half to their workload and at worst, failing to make service on all the air stops. It makes the routes less efficient by forcing the driver to do a separate all-air run to make the 10:30 deadline before starting the ground work, instead of unloading all the ground and all the air together in one fell swoop. The pickup routes could more easily be absorbed by the ground routes. It's mostly drop boxes, which they're getting rid of.
It's cheaper to pay a ground driver overtime then what it cost me to pay for your benefits and running another truck

Method Mensch

It's cheaper to pay a ground driver overtime then what it cost me to pay for your benefits and running another truck
True, but the reason to have air drivers is to meet the service deadlines:

"Section 1. Air Drivers

(a) Air driver work shall consist of delivery and pickup of air packages which, because of time and customer commitments, cannot be reasonably performed by regular package drivers"

That's the air driver's raison d'etre (that means "reason for being" in pig latin). Sure, you could try to throw 4 or 5 ground routes into the mix to try to get one air driver's route done on time, in addition to the existing air on the ground routes. But in this case, you've sacrificed all that those man hours, fuel, and wear and tear on the vehicles to get it done. And you're going to have lates, even then. Might as well keep an air driver route. Well, they're likely to go ahead with this. We'll see how it all pans out.

"Section 1. Air Drivers

(a) Air driver work shall consist of delivery and pickup of air packages which, because of time and customer commitments, cannot be reasonably performed by regular package drivers"

That's the air driver's raison d'etre (that means "reason for being" in pig latin). Sure, you could try to throw 4 or 5 ground routes into the mix to try to get one air driver's route done on time, in addition to the existing air on the ground routes. But in this case, you've sacrificed all that those man hours, fuel, and wear and tear on the vehicles to get it done. And you're going to have lates, even then. Might as well keep an air driver route. Well, they're likely to go ahead with this. We'll see how it all pans out.
Company does not care anymore it's all about profits

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
You can bitch and whine and try to justify your job all you want. Not gonna change the fact that it’s gone

Shoulda went full time

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

"Section 1. Air Drivers

Brah you’re not listening nobody cares about service commitments

Method Mensch

Brah you’re not listening nobody cares about service commitments
Yeah, it sure seems that way. I guess I'll slink off and, if things turn around, bid a full time slot. I've done plenty of ground routes in my time. No more punching out at 11:30 and heading out on the boat to fish. No more 1:15 tee times at Bushwood. I see the future and it has four dusty shelves and is lined with yellow repurposed water bottles.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Yeah, it sure seems that way. I guess I'll slink off and, if things turn around, bid a full time slot. I've done plenty of ground routes in my time. No more punching out at 11:30 and heading out on the boat to fish. No more 1:15 tee times at Bushwood. I see the future and it has four dusty shelves and is lined with yellow repurposed water bottles.
That's the attitude, join the club!
Until then, live it up!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Time to put your big boy pants on Menschey