55 Years Safe Driving

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Great story and sad at the same time. You ain't getting the time back. Once you collect social security and a pension, you are making the same as working. Retire and live!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a guy work almost 50 years because he didn't want his ex wife to get any of his pension.

Our pension fund may be different but my ex will start her full share when she turns 65 whether I am retired or not. She can start collecting a reduced amount the first day of the month that I am eligible to retire, whether I do so or not.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It was only a small percentage,she even offered him a very reasonable but out.
He was hoping he dropped dead before he retired.
If I ever had a situation like that, I’d offer as much pension money in exchange for retaining 401k money. Selling to the Ex, much like we are sold on it that it will be there.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I ever had a situation like that, I’d offer as much pension money in exchange for retaining 401k money. Selling to the Ex, much like we are sold on it that it will be there.

The 401k split is normally not negotiable-—it is generally split in half on the day the divorce is finalized. The pension is two times the number of years that you were married while working at UPS, up to a maximum of 50%. You cannot give her more of your pension in order to save your 401k——it don’t work that way.

Over 70

We had a guy work almost 50 years because he didn't want his ex wife to get any of his pension.

giphy (57).gif

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If you can still pass the DOT physical at 70+ more power to you. Some places you can draw the pension while continuing to work after 65. Maybe he got a doctorate in medieval french literature and is still paying off his student loans.

JL 0513

How is it possible his knees, back, and shoulders still work? Especially when one considers most of his career was with no power steering, manual transmission, high step POS's.

How can a guy go 25 years beyond the usual full career of around 30? A majority of guys can't even make the 30 - at least it seems like a majority.

Over 70

How is it possible his knees, back, and shoulders still work? Especially when one considers most of his career was with no power steering, manual transmission, high step POS's.

How can a guy go 25 years beyond the usual full career of around 30? A majority of guys can't even make the 30 - at least it seems like a majority.

The same way some people live past 100 and function like healthy 80 year olds. Genetics, luck.

I'm guessing the never married guy with no kids took care of his health, favorable genetics, wasn't a drinker, wasnt a runner/gunner ever, just steady/reliable. Stress of company never bothered him due to lack of other life stress (no wife or kids)