60 hours - Early Friday

oldupsman

Notify DOT.

Same rules apply to anyone driving a company vehicle. They better hope they are DOT certified as well. Some try to drive pkg cars here without it, and they are stopped.
Just curious TOS. Who stops them. Does your steward do that? Or a B.A? Who checks on them. It's a very good point and I must admit all the years I worked
for UPS I never thought about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

anonymous6

Anyone close to getting an early Friday? Already at about 36 hours, other drivers are close to 40! Not sure how the center will run when everyone has to be in under 10 hours!:knockedout:

gimme a break. i worked 56-60 hrs a week every week .( not anymore. in Bahamas )

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
on a side note...

how come you guys are limited to 60 working hours, while purple corp is up to 70???

Simple DOT rules. If they have a DOT card, they'll be severely penalized if they violate the hours. Fed Ex doesn't get an exception. No one does.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I informed our sups the other day that the 14 hour and 60 hour rules also apply to management as far as operating our vehicles.

Thats funny. They should know.

Just curious, what would you do if one of your sups violated either of the rules while operating one of your vehicles?

TOS covered it.

Notify DOT.

Same rules apply to anyone driving a company vehicle. They better hope they are DOT certified as well.

Just as Non-CDL drivers are required to have a DOT medical card {Pkg car drivers or Air drivers}....

Anyone operating UPS vehicles *off the company property* on a public roadway.... Have to have a DOT medical card.

on a side note...

how come you guys are limited to 60 working hours, while purple corp is up to 70???

DOT rules apply.

Simple DOT rules. If they have a DOT card, they'll be severely penalized if they violate the hours. Fed Ex doesn't get an exception. No one does.

Summary of Hours-of-Service (HOS) Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

-Bug-

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Just curious TOS. Who stops them. Does your steward do that? Or a B.A? Who checks on them. It's a very good point and I must admit all the years I worked
for UPS I never thought about that.

The steward should inquire under article 4 of the National Master Agreement. Investigations. Ask for the DOT certs or they DONT DRIVE.

Peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
This week should be a test of UPS's ability to adjust on the fly in the preload. Tomorrow, we should get creamed in pkg, but moreso in the preload who will struggle to clear all trailers. I am sure some trailers will be left full and not fed into the system. Management will probably have to shuttle out pkgs to drivers who couldnt contain or have the pkgs in the car before they left the building.

Of course, UPS will claim this took them by surprise and had no way of knowing it was coming.

Peace

TOS

undies

I ended up with 59.5 hours. Today is going to be rough, there were over 6000 packages left in the building in my center from Friday's hazmat building shutdown...At least we start at 8:30 today, we're going to be ok.

HomeDelivery

thanks for the link, but since we're mostly driving cargo vans, which is under 10,000 lbs... does that mean we can work up to 70 hours a week?

a UPSer i bumped into was also saying how does purple get to work 10 more hours per week:dont_know:

bluehdmc

thanks for the link, but since we're mostly driving cargo vans, which is under 10,000 lbs... does that mean we can work up to 70 hours a week?

a UPSer i bumped into was also saying how does purple get to work 10 more hours per week:dont_know:

UPS uses the 60hr in 7 day calculation, Fedex must use the 70hr in 8 day calculation. The only difference is Fedex drivers would have to go back the last 8 days, UPS drivers go back 7 days. What I worked last Monday falls off at 12:01am this morning. Whatever hours I worked from last Tues till Sunday gets subtracted from 60 and gives me the hours available Monday. Using the 70 hr rule you would count from Monday thru Sunday, subtract it from 70, and this gives you your available hours.
The advantage to using the 70 hr rule is you could work 5x14hr days =70 say, Mon-Fri, be off Sat and Sun having over 34hrs off. Thus getting the restart, so you could do it all over again the next week.

STFXG

We do use 70 hours per 8 days. You can also violate the 14 hour rule by extending up to 16 hours twice within 7 days.

Last edited:

georover1

I understand the DOT 60 hr rule and the one day at 14 hr max but doesn't the 11 hr driving rule apply for every work day punch to punch?

What'dyabringmetoday???

Yes but a typical UPS package driver only drives 3 - 4 hours in an 11 hour delivery/pickup paid day.
I certainly would not try to argue with a "Modsta Gangsta", but the hours of service poster on many UPS walls fail to mention that a log book is needed. I am sure you know what I am referring to. So, if you claim that package drivers "only" drive 3-4 hours in an 11 hour delivery/pickup paid day, surely you would allow them to start using a log book to prove that? You don't really need to answer as I know what to expect.

Mackn8ez

We do use 70 hours per 8 days. You can also violate the 14 hour rule by extending up to 16 hours twice within 7 days.
UPS uses the 60hr in 7 day calculation, Fedex must use the 70hr in 8 day calculation. The only difference is Fedex drivers would have to go back the last 8 days, UPS drivers go back 7 days. What I worked last Monday falls off at 12:01am this morning. Whatever hours I worked from last Tues till Sunday gets subtracted from 60 and gives me the hours available Monday. Using the 70 hr rule you would count from Monday thru Sunday, subtract it from 70, and this gives you your available hours.
The advantage to using the 70 hr rule is you could work 5x14hr days =70 say, Mon-Fri, be off Sat and Sun having over 34hrs off. Thus getting the restart, so you could do it all over again the next week.

Typically, the 70hr/8day rule set is for OTR drivers, and the 60hr/7day is for local drivers. If a company has OTR drivers within the company (no matter where they are located) the operational manager has at their descrestion to make the local drivers use the 70hr rule. Just so they can have that additional 10 hours of labor. I strongly believe that this is an unsafe practice. While OTR drivers have up to 8 days to get 70 hours, a local driver normally only have 5 days!