$600 Stimulus Checks

Box Ox

Foreign aid helps our country. US influence abroad provides security and trade for Americans. That’s not really debatable. You are upset because it’s easy to fool people into believing foreign aid is a give away with no benefit to Americans.
What's wrong with quantifying and reporting the benefits of foreign aid to the American taxpayer if there is indeed a return on investment? I agree with you that there probably are trade and security benefits in some or even many cases. Can you tell us what the trade and security benefits are so I don't have to say "probably" anymore?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Foreign aid helps our country. US influence abroad provides security and trade for Americans. That’s not really debatable. You are upset because it’s easy to fool people into believing foreign aid is a give away with no benefit to Americans.
Wrong. I’m fully aware of the purpose of foreign aid and agree with the necessity of it....to a point.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
BTW, our foreign aid is a joke in many of the countries receiving it. Most of it goes into the wrong pockets and doesn’t aid the people it should.

upsgrunt

When the US gets to the point where we CAN'T give foreign aid to other countries, will they ever return the favor to us? Why can't we loan money to them with interest like what we have to do from China? I'm just baffled that we have to borrow money to give to countries that hate us, with no repayment stipulations whatsoever.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Yeah. Nothing builds foreign relations like gender studies in Pakistan or wherever the :censored2:.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
In more precise terms ... Americans working for Big Corporations.

It will be fine

What's wrong with quantifying and reporting the benefits of foreign aid to the American taxpayer if there is indeed a return on investment? I agree with you that there probably are trade and security benefits in some or even many cases. Can you tell us what the trade and security benefits are so I don't have to say "probably" anymore?
The State department does this

Box Ox

It will be fine

They post a couple reports per category per year that give some examples of how foreign aid is impacting specific initiatives. Probably not comprehensive enough to justify our total annual foreign aid expenditures for many taxpayers.

Foreign Assistance Evaluations - United States Department of State
I would guess the vast majority of taxpayers that complain about foreign aid have never done one bit of research on it. They’ve watched some cable news propaganda that tells them to hate it, so they hate it.

Box Ox

I would guess the vast majority of taxpayers that complain about foreign aid have never done one bit of research on it. They’ve watched some cable news propaganda that tells them to hate it, so they hate it.
For sure. I just wish the government, which is supposed to be accountable to the people, had better answers when the people, for the right or the wrong reasons - start asking questions about the specifics.

It will be fine

For sure. I just wish the government, which is supposed to be accountable to the people, had better answers when the people, for the right or the wrong reasons - start asking questions about the specifics.
That’s why we elect representatives. The specifics are boring and nobody really cares.

upsgrunt

I tried once to find out numbers for the department of energy; how many employed, what they do. Very vague and deceiving. I bet most employees don't even go to a physical office even before the pandemic, yet look how much money goes into a department that has been trying to "lesson our dependence on foreign oil" for abut 50 years.

It will be fine

I tried once to find out numbers for the department of energy; how many employed, what they do. Very vague and deceiving. I bet most employees don't even go to a physical office even before the pandemic, yet look how much money goes into a department that has been trying to "lesson our dependence on foreign oil" for abut 50 years.
The department of energy is mostly in charge of our nuclear arsenal.

Box Ox

That’s why we elect representatives. The specifics are boring and nobody really cares.
The American taxpayer has been failed if the best answer the government has is that the details are boring and a functioning democracy is therefore all the foreign aid accountability that’s really necessary.

It will be fine

The American taxpayer has been failed if the best answer the government has is that the details are boring and a functioning democracy is therefore all the foreign aid accountability that’s really necessary.
You elect representatives to look into those details for you and make decisions they believe are best with their votes on things like the spending bill that just passed. American taxpayers representatives overwhelmingly supported the foreign aid spending. If the issue is that much concern to voters they should vote their representatives out of office.

vantexan

You elect representatives to look into those details for you and make decisions they believe are best with their votes on things like the spending bill that just passed. American taxpayers representatives overwhelmingly supported the foreign aid spending. If the issue is that much concern to voters they should vote their representatives out of office.
They overwhelmingly support foreign aid because it's a shell game that puts money back in their pockets under the table. Yeah, I know, it's all a big conspiracy.