8:00pm rule?

oldupsman

Those that want the hours will still get them.
I know what you're saying Jack, but in my old building they're not letting those 60 hour guys
run wild anymore. Of course they're screaming bloody murder. But UPS seems determined to hire more
people and make sure stuff moves when it supposed to move.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I know what you're saying Jack, but in my old building they're not letting those 60 hour guys
run wild anymore. Of course they're screaming bloody murder. But UPS seems determined to hire more
people and make sure stuff moves when it supposed to move.
If you are one of those guys who scratches, works safely, and low maintence (sups don't need to talk to you) you can have all the hours you want in our center.

ManInBrown

The new 4 year progression definitely has the company on a hiring spree. It's obviously warranted with a lot of old timers hanging it up. Had the new contract still been 3 years, I don't think they'd be hiring like they are.

oldupsman

Come Jan 2015 there's gunna be a lot of disappointed drivers.
Again Jack, I hear you but I'm not so sure. Maybe the worm has finally turned. Just maybe this working short people for years
theory is finally going down the tubes. Again in my old building there will be alot of guys leaving the nest 5 years.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Same here with guys leaving next 5 years. They definitely owe us a boatload of drivers for sure. I don't mind some ot but once you go over like 10 or 12 hours its not even worth it on taxes.

ManInBrown

Same here with guys leaving next 5 years. They definitely owe us a boatload of drivers for sure. I don't mind some ot but once you go over like 10 or 12 hours its not even worth it on taxes.
Spot on Jumpman. Anything over 8 hours of OT, really isn't worth the time you put in. Uncle Sam gets most of it. I also don't mind the OT. In a perfect world I like to keep it hovering around 8 per week. Which luckily is usually just about the norm for me

oldupsman

Spot on Jumpman. Anything over 8 hours of OT, really isn't worth the time you put in. Uncle Sam gets most of it. I also don't mind the OT. In a perfect world I like to keep it hovering around 8 per week. Which luckily is usually just about the norm for me

That's where the 401k comes in. Max out and put that money away so Uncle Sam doesn't get it. Even
though he'll get his cut down the road. But meanwhile you can still make interest.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have also found that 8 appears to be the magic number.

I can't recall the last time I had more than 2 hours of OT in a week, let alone 8.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
401k and a good tax accountant will get you everything you deserve by February.

I would be tired of being in the truck that long over being worried about the taxman.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Again Jack, I hear you but I'm not so sure. Maybe the worm has finally turned. Just maybe this working short people for years
theory is finally going down the tubes. Again in my old building there will be alot of guys leaving the nest 5 years.
I'm all for adding more jobs, I just have a feeling, like a lot of things at UPS, they over react. A lot of these new drivers will be leaving good FT jobs to work. As the lowest guys on the pole they could also be laid off on days after peak, right when they were just getting used to their new wages/hours.

In our center we have enough FT guys that are happy "just getting by" and will go home a couple times a week. After awhile even those guys get bills that "forces" them to work a regular week. Time will tell on if this new hiring spree will be permanent or short lived.

Last edited:

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I'm all for adding more jobs, I just have a feeling, like a lot of things at UPS, they over react. A lot of these new drivers will be leaving good FT jobs to work. As the lowest guys on the pole they could also be laid off on days after peak, right when they were just getting used to their new wages/hours.

In our center we have enough FT guys that are happy "just getting by" and will go home a couple times a week. After awhile even those guys get bills that "forces" them to work a regular week. Time will tell on if this new hiring spree will be permanent or short lived.
This spree reminds me a great deal of the UPS i knew from 84-89,we didnt slow down hiring and promoting in my building really until the early 2000's in my building

By The Book

They said we are to be off before 8, no exceptions. They said he spent 7 minutes at the clerk counter, and punched out at 8. He's getting his 30 in he's not gonna grieve it.
Another way to force a driver to give up pt and he can't or won't do squat about it. After all we seem to tell everyone in their probation to do whatever they have to to make book. I hope this driver after he makes book takes all his pt and shows up 5 min before start time with the attitude that the work will be there waiting for him tomorrow. I recently had a few drivers make book and they show up about 1 hour before start-time so they can set up their day. I went to bat for these guys on the reviews, but now I'm in the rear view. New breed of drivers are scared I tell you.