8:00pm rule?

O

OLDMAN3

I see your point, but everyone knows what they signed up for. This is nothing new...
So, you can see my point but you wont agree or disagree that it is unethical to deprive kids of having their dads home for a few hours? I thought you actually believed in doing the right thing. Take a stand either way. Is it ethical or not? Yep, I thought so, it is not about ethics and morality at all for you...just spreading the company line. Do you realize how many injuries are the result of fatigue and over use/stress upon joints, ligaments and muscles?

As to your assertion that this is nothing new and we all signed up for this...
When I started driving 25+ years ago the average planned day was 8.5 hours and we started at 8:10 AM. Punching out after 6 PM was rare, usually only during peak season. By the way, peak season was contractually, and in reality only from Thanksgiving till Christmas back then. Now it is contractually from Nov. 1 to two full weeks into January, and for many peak season is now actually year round.

There is no question the excessive dispatch is purposeful, our District Manager admitted this and explained that UPS simply makes more money by working fewer drivers longer hours than putting more cars on the street.

So is it ethical, moral, or safety minded to force drivers to work excessive overtime and deprive them of family time?
Have some integrity and answer the question honestly.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

OLDMAN3

I posted a thread on 800pm. I didn't know there was one currently open. In the last 2 weeks there has been a lot of pressure for 9.5 and 800 o'clock curfew here in MA. WTF is going on!!!##!!!

Sent using BrownCafe App
Whats going on...
New contract language allows the Union to have a say in dispatching levels if progress is not made by management in curbing excessive overtime. Management is trying to put the onus on drivers to cut hours worked by using curfews, warning letters etc. instead of addressing the underlying problem of short-staffing. They don't want the Union having a say in dispatch levels but they want to pretend they are making progress by pressuring drivers to punch out early.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I've noticed this week that our dispatch has been lighter than I can ever remember. He's been telling us they don't want anyone over 9.5 which is light years away from 4 years ago when you'd be doing air meets everyday. Unfortunately, the milkers will ruin it by slowing down and forcing managements hand.

I hope this is coming about because the old math doesn't work with this new contract. With new 4-year progression drivers, it seems to make more sense to use them than to pay OT and 9.5 grievance money to top rate drivers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've noticed this week that our dispatch has been lighter than I can ever remember. He's been telling us they don't want anyone over 9.5 which is light years away from 4 years ago when you'd be doing air meets everyday. Unfortunately, the milkers will ruin it by slowing down and forcing managements hand.

I hope this is coming about because the old math doesn't work with this new contract. With new 4-year progression drivers, it seems to make more sense to use them than to pay OT and 9.5 grievance money to top rate drivers.

Our center manager will sometimes try to lighten us up and then request during the PCM that we bring it in-----it is always the same people who stay out, even when the dispatch doesn't warrant it.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Our center manager will sometimes try to lighten us up and then request during the PCM that we bring it in-----it is always the same people who stay out, even when the dispatch doesn't warrant it.

It seems to me with the new math, they will give the milkers the day off once/twice a week and use our new drivers. The milkers will work their usual 10.5 hours a day the rest of the week so everyone wins. No 9.5 grievances. You are right, It's the same ones that ruin an overall light center dispatch.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It seems to me with the new math, they will give the milkers the day off once/twice a week and use our new drivers. The milkers will work their usual 10.5 hours a day the rest of the week so everyone wins. No 9.5 grievances. You are right, It's the same ones that ruin an overall light center dispatch.

We don't have the bodies to allow him to do this.

We don't have the bodies to allow him to do this.
Guess they need to hire some!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
This spring we had a new center manager come in.
With 6 guys out on injury, he said we were still understaffed by 7 drivers.
They have remedied this in the past 4 months.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Really I think it was just the bid that fixed it...It forced them to fill some of the routes that had been being done by cover guys for over a year so that pulled in drivers from the other centers, resulting in them having to hire perm cover guys for the other centers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Really I think it was just the bid that fixed it...It forced them to fill some of the routes that had been being done by cover guys for over a year so that pulled in drivers from the other centers, resulting in them having to hire perm cover guys for the other centers.

Do you guys work in the same center/building?

oldupsman

Just had breakfast this morning with 2 of my old fellow pc drivers who are still working in the Philly burbs.
They're hiring new drivers left and right. Actually using veteran pc drivers now as trainers for new drivers
instead of delivery sups. Adding more routes and cutting back on dispatches. I really think UPS wants nothing to do
with a repeat of last years Christmas fiasco. And now with this Fed-Ex law suit with the Feds going on this is
really their chance to look good.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Just had breakfast this morning with 2 of my old fellow pc drivers who are still working in the Philly burbs.
They're hiring new drivers left and right. Actually using veteran pc drivers now as trainers for new drivers
instead of delivery sups. Adding more routes and cutting back on dispatches. I really think UPS wants nothing to do
with a repeat of last years Christmas fiasco. And now with this Fed-Ex law suit with the Feds going on this is
really their chance to look good.
Rumor has it that, that is some of the reasoning why their supposedly hiring like mad all around the country or getting ready to start hiring a lot of drivers. I hung out with my old driver supe on Thursday night for a couple hours shooting the shiznitt and drinking a couple frostees and he told me that their supposed to put 9 on by years end. My supe at our center said their supposed to put on 15 drivers but they cant get them hired fast enough and they need to be trained. Sounds like prepping for holiday for sure. Most centers they owe a lot of drivers anyway.