8 hour GTD

Bob11B

At our pre brief this morning, management said that UPS is no longer giving free time away. They said if you have completed all your work and you want your Guaranteed 8 hours then you must call a supervisor. I understand it from a company standpoint...because many cuts will rape their route and come back in, clock out and take the 05. But I have a huge problem with it overall and I can see the direction they are going with it

Why the hell should any of us have to call a supervisor to tell them we want our guaranteed 8 when we have already reported to work and are guaranteed 8 from the minute we clock in. I am sure as hell not doing “05” when I clock in.

Talked to a union steward briefly afterwards and he said it was the first he had heard this and was going to get to the bottom of it.

Thoughts?!

Methods Man

If your under dispatched call/msg on the diad to get more work If you want it. Seems pretty clear to me.

I feel like them doing this actually is helping the majority of drivers (imo) that don’t want to work a full day.

If your like me who always wants their 8, then just ask for the work my guy.

OKLABob

Should be dispatched with 8 hours
If you work less then 8 with your hour lunch in that’s there problem punch out and go home :censored2: em.

Bob11B

If you work less then 8 with your hour lunch in that’s there problem punch out and go home :censored2: em.
We don’t get a paid lunch....

I guess it rubs be the wrong way because 1) they expect us to call 2) seems like all the work is going to be pushed to the 22.4s....then again, it is the new year and they always come up with new nonsense this role of the year.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Exactly! How is that different than a bonus center? If someone gets 9 hours of work done in 7.5, they should be able to code 06 and go home with their guarantee.

GenericUsername

Go to your steward with a supervisor and have a conversation in front of him. "This is my notice to you from here and in the future I want my 8 hour request. I will not accept your phone calls or call in to the center for more work as you do not pay my phone bill. Please dispatch me with an 8 hour day." Then make sure you're on the 9.5 list and go slow. You'll get your money either way. :)

Bob11B

Exactly! How is that different than a bonus center? If someone gets 9 hours of work done in 7.5, they should be able to code 06 and go home with their guarantee.

That’s what I’m getting at....since when do we have to do code 05 just because we were under 8 hours...of that is the case then what the :censored2: is the point of code 05 or 06...next contract they will try and take away the “guaranteed 8”

Bob11B

Go to your steward with a supervisor and have a conversation in front of him. "This is my notice to you from here and in the future I want my 8 hour request. I will not accept your phone calls or call in to the center for more work as you do not pay my phone bill. Please dispatch me with an 8 hour day." Then make sure you're on the 9.5 list and go slow. You'll get your money either way. :)
That’s good advice, thanks.

Siveriano

This is what I do and works every time.
Finish your work and comeback to the building, tell them you are a full time driver and you need your 8 hours guarantee and by ups sending you out with less work than 8 hours they are violating the contract, then you tell them they only have 3 options:
1- Let you go home and get pay your 8 hours.
2- Send you back out, but they you will be on 1.5X from the moment you came back to the building.
3- Give you an inside job to complete your 8 hours.
3/5 time they will just let you go.

rod

Retired 22 years
I can't recall EVER being dispatched under 8 hours in 30 years--- unless I had specifically asked for it or maybe a few Christmas eves. Are you saying that even with all the "computer/scanning/telematics stuff" they have at their disposal now days the dispatch was better controlled back in the stone age when I worked?

Seymour Packages

I can't recall EVER being dispatched under 8 hours in 30 years--- unless I had specifically asked for it or maybe a few Christmas eves. Are you saying that even with all the "computer/scanning/telematics stuff" they have at their disposal now days the dispatch was better controlled back in the stone age when I worked?

Yes. Telematics is joke and doesn't take into account the real aspects of the job. A driver that knows their route can easily beat the computer's estimates for mileage and time. Sitting behind a desk and reading graphs is cute, but few of the bean counters ever get out and run trips anymore...if they ever did at all.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
I guess this explains the sudden increase in DIAD messages stating "remember if you work less than 8 hours you must punch in code 05." We've gotten one every day for the past week. 05 on Christmas Eve. right.

Indecisi0n

That’s what I’m getting at....since when do we have to do code 05 just because we were under 8 hours...of that is the case then what the :censored2: is the point of code 05 or 06...next contract they will try and take away the “guaranteed 8”
You don't HAVE to do code 05. He is asking you if you want to go home. If you say yes then you don't get your 8 paid. If you say no then he will get you work to.do. He doesn't want people sneaking back , punching out on a 06 code and getting paid for hours not worked (like I use to do all the time). Guess what that is ? Another list they look at.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yes. Telematics is joke and doesn't take into account the real aspects of the job. A driver that knows their route can easily beat the computer's estimates for mileage and time. Sitting behind a desk and reading graphs is cute, but few of the bean counters ever get out and run trips anymore...if they ever did at all.
They road with us all the time and if you were constantly under-allowed they would come up with a new set of numbers.