8 hour GTD

542thruNthru

This is what I do and works every time.
Finish your work and comeback to the building, tell them you are a full time driver and you need your 8 hours guarantee and by ups sending you out with less work than 8 hours they are violating the contract, then you tell them they only have 3 options:
1- Let you go home and get pay your 8 hours.
2- Send you back out, but they you will be on 1.5X from the moment you came back to the building.
3- Give you an inside job to complete your 8 hours.
3/5 time they will just let you go.

Curious. Can you tell me how they will have to pay you OT from the moment you got back to the building if they send you back out?

KoennenTiger

I don't get what the big deal is. My center has always done this. If it is a light day and you want your 8 hour guarantee guess what? You'll get it. By being given 8 hours of work. If you don't want it but want to go home early? Then code 5 and some other guy that wants 8 gets to come take some work.

Eight hour guarantee isn't a guarantee that you do seven hours of work but get paid for eight. It's for eight hours of work.

But by all means just make the work they give you be eight hours.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I don't know what language everyone else has but this is from my rider:

"Any employee with seniority standing shall receive a full day’s pay if put to work, or if not put to work after reporting shall be allowed one-half (1/2) day’s pay, unless notifed the previous day that there would be no work."

I don't see a part that says they can pay you less if you don't work a full day, or that you have to tell your supervisor you want a full day's work. Work assignments are the dispatcher's job, and it's the ORS's job to make any necessary adjustments throughout the day.

I show up and do the work they assign me, and check in if I'm done before 8 (almost never happens) to see if they have anything else for me to do. Code 5 is an extracontractual agreement under my rider.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
upload_2019-12-31_7-23-51.jpeg

New England supplement art 66 section 3a

Guaranteed a minimum of eight hours work or pay

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
At our pre brief this morning, management said that UPS is no longer giving free time away. They said if you have completed all your work and you want your Guaranteed 8 hours then you must call a supervisor. I understand it from a company standpoint...because many cuts will rape their route and come back in, clock out and take the 05. But I have a huge problem with it overall and I can see the direction they are going with it

Why the hell should any of us have to call a supervisor to tell them we want our guaranteed 8 when we have already reported to work and are guaranteed 8 from the minute we clock in. I am sure as hell not doing “05” when I clock in.

Talked to a union steward briefly afterwards and he said it was the first he had heard this and was going to get to the bottom of it.

Thoughts?!
How are you to call? UPS does not give out phones?

oldupsman

Love this story. I had a strong local. One Christmas Eve they told us we were going to be paid time work. Especially no OT.
Everybody said no, we want our 8. So guys coming in about 1-130. They got us sweeping floors and such playing
we'll teach you a lesson. We had started at 8:00 so straight 8 was 4:00. About 3:30 they get a call, late air
coming in.
Now if this division manager hadn't been a jerk and pulled this stunt we wouldn't have started until 9:00 and 8 with lunch
would have been 6:00. No OT. Now he's stuck. So we walk out at 4 and all the management people have to stay
around and deliver the airs themselves. Karma.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Love this story. I had a strong local. One Christmas Eve they told us we were going to be paid time work. Especially no OT.
Everybody said no, we want our 8. So guys coming in about 1-130. They got us sweeping floors and such playing
we'll teach you a lesson. We had started at 8:00 so straight 8 was 4:00. About 3:30 they get a call, late air
coming in.
Now if this division manager hadn't been a jerk and pulled this stunt we wouldn't have started until 9:00 and 8 with lunch
would have been 6:00. No OT. Now he's stuck. So we walk out at 4 and all the management people have to stay
around and deliver the airs themselves. Karma.

Did you file on them working? They were the ones who didn't want to pay you to stick around. That would have been icing on the cake.

Faceplanted

As I told my center manager when playing this game, I needed to get trained on how to sweep or clean as that was their “punishment” to those wanting their 8. We were told come in and find a supervisor when returning to building. We WAD and A bunch of us asked to be trained on cleaning as we don’t know how to do it, we ended up washing trucks and re parking them.