8 Rules to Yard Control

Can someone please explain to me why I would have to know these 8 rules to yard control if I'm not yard certified. It's now on our monthly quiz. :biting:

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Maybe its to fill the quota for our wallet card of the month club? We can seemingly never have enough rules or wallet cards to print them on. Coming soon; 10 steps to Identifying Sales leads (to be used only when we have absolutely maxed out productivity as a means of creating wealth) and 7 rules of Push Pull steering.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Tell me about it, its almost as if these people coming up with this stuff have nothing better to do, and is most likely right.

A year ago they had come up with a few other test. We were tested on them once and a year and half later nothing else about it, ever tested on it again.

Now there are 8 to yard control which were 5 (added from 3 perviously) added sixs months ago. 3 of them are for people who can drive and should be kept that way.

Tested on the 8 steps a month ago and today even and got them all right.

Being that you're likly midnight because you dont go into the yard ever, I understand. It seems that UPS only adds these things to test your ability of memory. Like the military, tests are a way of getting a promotion. Unlike UPS, testing seems to be a way of getting in the way. Do as I do and think of the test as a memory game. I passed every test for about a year and six months stright, even with new addons.

Another thing that might be the reason, UPS seems to be in a stir. Meaning there is talk of things changing. Managers and sups being let go or bumping down, shifts changing etc etc. Ive heard mixed things.

So sit back and watch'em burn.

Thank you for the words of wisom. I find it frustrating being brought into the office and repeating this test in a office that is noisy. Explained that to the Sup. and I think she thought it was some kind of excuse. I told her if she expects perfection then she better find me a tutor. I spent better part of the afternoon looking over this info and all I ask is for a quiet area to test in if not I guess her and I are going to be seeing each other every day until I pass it to her liking.

Would like to add each of the rules concept is on paper just not word for word as she would like it.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Oh they never help you, only themselves.

Plus giving an opening to push you towards quitting is another goal of thiers. Get as much work out of you, then attempt to push you out before getting raises.

Get a friend or a parent or a loved one to test you. Learn this crap from A to Z, you know why. The more you do well, the more the reason sups or managers never have a reason to speak with you. That alone, you will see, become the only reason to have this tucked away for safe keeping. Thats what I do, the better you know and do, gives them no reason to even talk to you. Overall, gtfo sup, for another month of peace.

Jigawatts

Oh they never help you, only themselves.

Plus giving an opening to push you towards quitting is another goal of thiers. Get as much work out of you, then attempt to push you out before getting raises.

Get a friend or a parent or a loved one to test you. Learn this crap from A to Z, you know why. The more you do well, the more the reason sups or managers never have a reason to speak with you. That alone, you will see, become the only reason to have this tucked away for safe keeping. Thats what I do, the better you know and do, gives them no reason to even talk to you. Overall, gtfo sup, for another month of peace.

I think the LESS you know the better. Every time we have an audit, it seems that management steers the auditors towards the people who know their stuff. I have all the correct answers, therefore I get asked the questions, while the less knowledgeable people continue to go about their business without interruption.

But I do agree with you on the yard control rules. That space in my brain can be occupied by more useful information.

Odds are this is because of an accident somewhere and this is OSHA compliance. Same for the belt lock out quiz for a system I`ll never lay hands on.

tieguy

Banned
Odds are this is because of an accident somewhere and this is OSHA compliance. Same for the belt lock out quiz for a system I`ll never lay hands on.

you are a wise man. I'm sure we've had injuries and unfortunately deaths where someone stepped outside their normal roles and got hurt.

barnyard

KTM rider
you are a wise man. I'm sure we've had injuries and unfortunately deaths where someone stepped outside their normal roles and got hurt.

That's it. Over the past several years, there has been at least one employee per year killed in a yard accident.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
That's it. Over the past several years, there has been at least one employee per year killed in a yard accident.

If you work at UPS and aren't smart enough to know there are UPS VEHICLES in the yard as you are walking around.........well I guess we all have to memorize crap because of you.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Funny, they have to ask everyone these questions once a month. It doesnt matter if you know them or not, fail a test every month if you work in a hub moving cardboard around. It seems those jobs you cant lose even if you are the worst type of worker, trust me I know. I see a ton of bad workers and also ones that test so poorly that never get let go.

It is a monthly thing for all employees to get tested. If those bad examples arnt being tested, it needs to be brought up to building managment or safety persons. Why would someone do this, equal employement. Yet, here at UPS, equallity only goes so far.

jimstud

Banned
If you would like, I will find the names of the deceased so that you can send their families a card with your thoughts.

i will be glad to give those sensitive a holes a name. one of my friends was crushed by a feeder 4 years ago.maybe when it happens to 1 of them or somebody they know they will sing a different tune.

Ok ladies and gentlemen, I didn't mean for this post to go in the direction that it did. I'm sure somewhere in the system someone was killed or injured in the yard, that thought has crossed my mind or our insurance company may even promote this kind of testing, who knows. This may sound morbid and I mean no disrespect to those who have been injured or are in the Lords Hands. Things happen in life that sometimes we can control no matter what we know or how we apply it. I know that UPS doesn't see it this way. That everthing is preventable. Well I got news for them they need to get the Websters out and review the meaning of accident. You can test a person month after month. make them so aware that they are parinoid about every move they make and we still have the dirty little word called accident. On that note I have to go cram for tonights rematch with supervisor. :sad-very:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Yeah...I'm with you. I say let natural selection work its will.

We had somoeone killed at rockford I think about 2 years ago. If im correct she was ran over by a tractor during a serious rain storm. Imagine how her parents, husband, kids feel without her. Imagine how the driver has to live knowing that he took someones life. Accident or not it doesnt make anyone sleep better!

I think the natural selection comment was way out of line!

Highwayman

While I can understand the need for rules in the yard they could be A LOT simpler. What is the need to CONSTANTLY bother people who do their jobs safely but can't regurgitate the SAYINGS verbatim?

HBGPreloader

When inquiring about the new rules, I was told 3 people were killed in yard accidents within the last year.

The problem I have is why should I know them? I load package cars.

I know that I should use the designated, walkways, doors and break areas. I do not work on vehicles, I do not drive vehicles and the only time I'm in the yard is when there is an evacuation or I'm coming in or going home.

I work safe regardless of what management says or does and I don't mind the questions. But, when they tell me to sign a document stating I will comply with these rules, I draw the line. I will not sign a document that will only be enforced when it is convenient for them.

A perfect example of why I don't sign it was a few days after I refused to sign the document. When I was on my way into the building one morning, a trailer was dropped and blocking access to the main employee entrance to the facility. The only way I could enter the building is if I walked outside of the designated walkway or craw under the trailer. I was tempted to turn around and go home. But the wife wouldn't be happy about me missing a day's pay.

When I mentioned it to a supervisor, he just blew it off.

Checkers