8+ years PT and Counting

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I had to wait 9 years before going full time. I took a gamble and bid a "less than 8" EAM job that was a big paycut, because it was the fastest route to full time. Part time air drivers had first dibs on full time combo jobs at that time (pre 22.3 language). A full time combo job became available 2 months later. That cut about 2 years off my wait to become full time.

That was 13 years ago. The "wait time" in my building is currently around 13/14 years.
:sad-little:

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice
What does a driver start out making? If I currently make more per hour PT, will I have to take a pay cut to go FT? or does my hourly wage stay the same?

It depends on your area or building. I had 3 1/2 pt and went ft along with people who had 10 yrs pt. It was a wave of new buildings opening and they needed drivers.

Buffaloaf

At the Rockford Hub, we have PT employees with 11 years service and don't have enough years to get a full time gig. It doesn't help that our Twilight sort is shrinking so quickly that there are no open jobs on it for full timers to combo though.

SmithBarney

I waited 6 months to go drive... yeah its a fluke center. 2yrs since i left, the guy
who was at the bottom of the seniority list is now half way up.

But unfortunately I had to move(no transfers) so... off I went.

brett636

All depends on your building. Back when times were better the wait time to a FT position was down to less than 2 years in my building, but has now climbed back into the 10 year or so wait it was before that.

old levi's

blank space
I have 8+ years PT with UPS and have never had the opportunity to go FT. Has anyone waited this long to just get the chance for a FT spot?

13 years PT for me. Worked 2 jobs the entire time. Then had to swing drive for 10 years. Got my first bid route after 23 years and was bumped off it 6 weeks later.

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice
11 Months?!?!?!? Jesus!!! That would be like winning the lottery for me.. I don't expect to get the chance at FT for a couple more years yet if I'm lucky. I have no doubt I will have 10 years in before I get the opportunity.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I was 11 months as well. Lucked out and got hired at the right time. Right now and since early this year we have several FT on lay off. I have not been one of them though.

upsdad

Kind of wondering the same thing, I have 2 1/2 as PT now and work another job as well. I have drivers tell me all the time how long it took and it really varies.

I figure this economy has really set me back some but I am in for the long haul.

My Dad and I have discussed this as well and he is of the same opinion(he has several friends that work at UPS). He is telling me this economy is the worst he has ever seen and hopes I never see it this bad again.

Oh well it is what it is, have lot of friends that are out of work completely and I had to go through a 3-4 wk layoff last winter so it really has me nervous about these times

UPSGUY72

Ya I got really lucky. But sometimes it better to be lucky then good. They probably won't be hiring drives again for a couple of years.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
When I started in the late 70's I worked about a year part time but worked more hours than most of the drivers. Went full time driving and have never missed a beat since. Back then the company was growing so fast that they were always asking us to go into management. We called it battlefield promotions. Seemed like as soon as someone would step up they would be transferred and never be seen again. I chose to stay driving so I would not have to transfer out of this area.

Overpaid Union Thug

Most of us had to wait a while to go full-time. Some more than others. This is why UPS's policy of hiring "off the street" has always pissed me off. It just isn't right.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Our top 2 drivers are both elilible to retire, but a lot of folks are worried about stepping off right yet. This also delays FT promotions.

helenofcalifornia

Same at our building. We have about seven drivers that can go and are just waiting it out for the "right" moment. Too bad for the PTer's but they probably wouldn't get hired anyways with the way the economy is.