8+ years PT and Counting

Dookiebrowns

I was hired off the street after doing a Christmas peak 3 years ago. Last April I was laid off for a month and had to work preload to keep my health ins. I have to say that I have a lot of respect for those guys after doing that for only a month I can honestly say that I would never have made it as a part timer.

So for all you guys and gals waiting for a full time spot I would say keep your head down and your chin up. The time will come.

nocturnalbuck

I was hired off the street after doing a Christmas peak 3 years ago. Last April I was laid off for a month and had to work preload to keep my health ins. I have to say that I have a lot of respect for those guys after doing that for only a month I can honestly say that I would never have made it as a part timer.

So for all you guys and gals waiting for a full time spot I would say keep your head down and your chin up. The time will come.

I was also hired off the street, got lucky. i'm usually layed off jan through march. i work a part time shift then to keep ins. and occasionally drive. there are many part timers at our center that do not want to be full timers because they say they see how hard our managers are on drivers now days. i don't know any different. of the five or so drivers ahead of me some worked PT for a few months while others went 7+ years

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Most of us had to wait a while to go full-time. Some more than others. This is why UPS's policy of hiring "off the street" has always pissed me off. It just isn't right.

Yeah, it sucks--oh, wait, that's how I was hired. Never mind.:wink2:

I would think the 6:1 would basically end off the street hiring for quite a while.

saynotoford

I worked part time on the preload for exactly 2 years before me and one other part timer from the preload were able to go full time as drivers. We have been drivers for almost three years now and spent the majority of March, April, and May of this year layed off. We, and one person above me, worked the local sort and usually got lucky and drove on most Fridays. We worked steady throughout the summer vacation season and clear into November. I am worried, however, about the new year and whether or not there will be enough work for me. We have three of our senior most drivers that are eligible to retire but just haven't done so yet and are wishy washy about when they might do so. I have consistently been "on the bubble" on days when I have not driven, so even if one person retired, I would feel more secure about my chances of driving on a daily basis.