9.5 starts tomorrow...

Rack em

Made the Podium
It does cost the local money though. Depending on where the panels will be. The local has to pay for travel, rooms, food, car and I'm sure many other things. It adds up.
I know that, but you can't just not send cases to panel because the labor manager will catch on and start fighting everything that much harder knowing the union will just give up because they don't want to go to panel. There will always be cases at panel anyways so the BA will already be going, might as well bring a winnable case along.

542thruNthru

I know that, but you can't just not send cases to panel because the labor manager will catch on and start fighting everything that much harder knowing the union will just give up because they don't want to go to panel. There will always be cases at panel anyways so the BA will already be going, might as well bring a winnable case along.

I was just pointing out it's more than $25 is all :)

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The intent of the language as I read it is they have to make a reasonable effort to reduce the drivers day 9.5 or under every day. I understand 10 or 10.5 hour days the two remaining days, but 11+ is ridiculous. Especially when they have people punching out at 4:00pm and going home.

Article 37

"The Company will not assign excessive over- time on the two (2) remaining days within the workweek in order to retaliate against a driver for opting onto the 9.5 List."

Rack em

Made the Podium
Article 37

"The Company will not assign excessive over- time on the two (2) remaining days within the workweek in order to retaliate against a driver for opting onto the 9.5 List."
All they have to say it isn't retaliation. Been there ans argued that with the labor manager :/ I wish "in order to retaliate against the driver for opting onto the 9.5 list" wasn't there.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
All they have to say it isn't retaliation. Been there ans argued that with the labor manager :/ I wish "in order to retaliate against the driver for opting onto the 9.5 list" wasn't there.

Ask them why they are over dispatching you on those days when other drivers are getting off early. They can claim it isn't retaliation all they want, but if their actions suggest otherwise...

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
@Rack em, if you take the language in its entirety, the company is supposed to keep you as close to, or under, 9.5 as possible every day. Giving you excessive overtime on the two days they can without penalty meets the definition of retaliation. The company can't just say it isn't retaliation. They would have to demonstrate that it was necessary to give you that much work in order to defend against the retaliation charge.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
"The Employer shall make a reasonable effort to reduce package car drivers’ workdays below nine and one half (9.5) hours per day for those on the list."

How is it reasonable effort to dispatch you with 12 and 14 hrs, while having other people laid off?

Rack em

Made the Podium
@zubenelgenubi I agree with everything you are saying and I have made those claims. It's our somewhat weak local that doesn't fight the issue hard enough. Our BA has the mentality that his job is a run out the clock situation instead of having a passion for wanting to defend his members.

If I were a BA I would make it my mission to make this company pay every chance I got. I would file labor charges against them as often as I could.

We have a worse problem- We don't get to start work til 10 am sometimes later! Leave building 1030 or 11 am. Put a 9.5 on that... no family life here. Customers are not ok with us knocking on doors at 9 pm and it's not Christmas and yet we haven't worked enough hours to fight them. Getting worse every day