9.5 starts tomorrow...

No one will seem to answer this within my local, but I want some clarification on it. So let's say that company keeps you under 9.5 three days a week but the other two days you are getting 11+ hour days. Is that enough to file a grievance since they are not making a reasonable effort to reduce your day to 9.5 hours? If they know X amount of stops will for sure not only be over 9.5, but over let's say 10.5 hours, then can drivers file on that?

The usual in our center is they load us up no matter what and they just send drivers to help 3 days a week to keep the drivers on the 9.5 list under. The other 2 days they just make us finish the work which for a lot of routes is over 11 hour days.
Guess you have to document it as piling on.

tourists24

No one will seem to answer this within my local, but I want some clarification on it. So let's say that company keeps you under 9.5 three days a week but the other two days you are getting 11+ hour days. Is that enough to file a grievance since they are not making a reasonable effort to reduce your day to 9.5 hours? If they know X amount of stops will for sure not only be over 9.5, but over let's say 10.5 hours, then can drivers file on that?

The usual in our center is they load us up no matter what and they just send drivers to help 3 days a week to keep the drivers on the 9.5 list under. The other 2 days they just make us finish the work which for a lot of routes is over 11 hour days.
The way I’ve always told the drivers at my center, they own you for two days. If the other 3 days are normal then no grievance. If they do the same but merely push you right up to 9.5 the other 3 days then file. That still violates the intention of the language. You won’t get pay for it but you will have it documented in case future violations occur

Rack em

Made the Podium
Guess you have to document it as piling on.
I've been keeping track of my stops and packages per day since the first week of the year and I have only had 2 days below 200 stops and I am usually between 11 to 11½ hours. This high dispatch crap needs to stop!

I plan on filing if they don't adjust the dispatches, but I don't have a lot of faith in my BA to do anything about it.

I've been keeping track of my stops and packages per day since the first week of the year and I have only had 2 days below 200 stops and I am usually between 11 to 11½ hours. This high dispatch crap needs to stop!

I plan on filing if they don't adjust the dispatches, but I don't have a lot of faith in my BA to do anything about it.
Just file and make a paper trail

Rack em

Made the Podium
The way I’ve always told the drivers at my center, they own you for two days. If the other 3 days are normal then no grievance. If they do the same but merely push you right up to 9.5 the other 3 days then file. That still violates the intention of the language. You won’t get pay for it but you will have it documented in case future violations occur
The intent of the language as I read it is they have to make a reasonable effort to reduce the drivers day 9.5 or under every day. I understand 10 or 10.5 hour days the two remaining days, but 11+ is ridiculous. Especially when they have people punching out at 4:00pm and going home.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Last year I filed because I was given a 14+ hour dispatch on a Friday with 5 drivers laid off and my other day over 9.5 was over 12 hours. I don't know how, but I didn't win the grievance!

Poop Head

Judge me.

Let's see.... The definition of "excessive overtime" = giant fart noise

35years

Gravy route
Last year I filed because I was given a 14+ hour dispatch on a Friday with 5 drivers laid off and my other day over 9.5 was over 12 hours. I don't know how, but I didn't win the grievance!
Do you follow up with your B.A.?
I have known some that just drop the grievances they don't know will be a slam dunk.
Did you have a local hearing? Were you present?

Rack em

Made the Podium
Do you follow up with your B.A.?
I have known some that just drop the grievances they don't know will be a slam dunk.
Did you have a local hearing? Were you present?
I request to be present at all my grievance hearings. That grievance got pushed back 2 times because the labor manager refused to pay it. I was not willing to drop it so I told my BA to send it to panel, but he doesn't like sending things to panel I guess. In my opinion I had a very strong case and a few stewards around our local said the same thing. That grievance should have gone to panel, but our BA doesn't know how to be an effective agent!

I request to be present at all my grievance hearings. That grievance got pushed back 2 times because the labor manager refused to pay it. I was not willing to drop it so I told my BA to send it to panel, but he doesn't like sending things to panel I guess. In my opinion I had a very strong case and a few stewards around our local said the same thing. That grievance should have gone to panel, but our BA doesn't know how to be an effective agent!
It costs money to go to the panel

But that shouldn't stop them from sending it to the panel