98% GPS Compliance....or ELSE

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
At our PCM this morning they announced that every truck in the building is now officially equipped with the DIAD GPS cradle and that our goal will be 98% compliance in using them. Every driver. Every truck. Even the sprinter vans, the send-again cars and a few red-tagged ones for good measure.

Veteran driver raised his hand and asked "so management is expecting near-perfect compliance for an in-cab distraction?" Lots of drivers laughed. The supervisors, for some reason, didn't find that funny.

Our shop steward was quiet, as usual. I'm curious how they're going to measure this compliance. Every stop? To and from the center and on the way to the gas station or lunch break?

GenericUsername

It's not impossible to put the diad holder in the cradle. Once you do it a few days in a row it becomes second nature. Now, following Orion is another story (except for Saturday.)

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Does compliance in this case mean following the GPS or simply having the GPS "on" and ignoring the directions.
Because if it's the latter, sure, an extra 5 seconds every stop to turn on GPS is 15 extra minutes doing something that is not backbreaking labor.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
The new thing is to put the cursor on the next stop while in the cradle, the new Orion update will follow the stops that you go to instead of scrolling down. This also will be how the company will learn your efficient delivery method and instead of the Orion team trying to figure out how you run your route, you will be doing the work for them. I told my supervisor this the day they announced that we are to put the cursor on the next stop whether it be Orion trace or not, he couldn't believe that they finally gave up and are having the drivers create the new Orion trace.

over9five

Staff member
I think 100 % compliance is awesome. It takes all the decision making and responsibility right out of your hands.
If they want a dumbed down driver, I'd give them one.

Overpaid Union Thug

We had that PCM months ago. All they want is for you to insert the DIAD in the cradle instead of the old holder. It's a separate metric from ORION compliance. I don't know why anyone has a problem with it. It's the first thing since EDD that I've really liked. And...as another poster mentioned...you can place your cursor on your next stop (if you don't follow ORION or for stops on the same street that are out of order in ORION) and navigation will "guide" you there. I also like how it shows you other stops coming up. People that routinely break ORION trace (or don't follow it at all) use that feature to avoid passing stops instead of having to scroll up and down the manifest to find them. But truth be told you don't really have to use the navigation at all. But it's rather easy to just put the DIAD in the cradle. It does take some getting used to though.

I don't have the cradle anymore because I, like a bunch of other drivers in my center, got a new truck and we've been told new ones won't be installed until next year and that the mechanics aren't allowed to move cradles from extra trucks that are just collecting dust over to the new ones. Sounds like money well spent to me. LOL

sikidiki

I literally follow orion 100% all day, if something closed and it was at the bottom of my diad, i just say i was following trace 100%. Nothing they can do.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
At our PCM this morning they announced that every truck in the building is now officially equipped with the DIAD GPS cradle and that our goal will be 98% compliance in using them. Every driver. Every truck. Even the sprinter vans, the send-again cars and a few red-tagged ones for good measure.

Veteran driver raised his hand and asked "so management is expecting near-perfect compliance for an in-cab distraction?" Lots of drivers laughed. The supervisors, for some reason, didn't find that funny.

Our shop steward was quiet, as usual. I'm curious how they're going to measure this compliance. Every stop? To and from the center and on the way to the gas station or lunch break?
What would you have liked to hear your steward say?

turq

Exactly. I don't get the issues . Less stops more pay, what's the problem?

Well speaking for me on Orion ( I don't have the gps cradle yet) , I could start with delivering schools when they are getting out. Delivering really busy streets during rush hour. Turning around multiple times a day on narrow city streets..... in a 1200, in the morning not being able to find the stops it has on the top, sader account deadlines...that 's what I can come up off the top of my head for today. I always beat the mileage anyway so...

turq

I literally follow orion 100% all day, if something closed and it was at the bottom of my diad, i just say i was following trace 100%. Nothing they can do.

That would get you written up in my building . From day one they have always said orion is not an excuse to not make service. Maybe it's different where you are