A Billion More To Come.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
there is no reason why someone that is 63 yrs+ shouldnt be able to retire and step asisde for the next generation
Sure there is, it's too early in many cases. This isn't 1935 when 65 became the standard to get old people out of the workforce with a modest income-for-life so that they possibly enjoy the last few years of their lives and open up spots for younger workers. People live longer and many are in their prime earning years in their early 60's. Might as well make dat dolla.

Those who just want to go through the motions and call it quits as soon as it's feasible can't figure out why no one else is like that.

rickyb

In his comments following the earnings release Raj said that another billion dollars in cost cutting is coming. Said something about having it all in place by next September. Wasn't specific about the areas from which those cost cuts will be extracted. Any of you guys want to thrown in your best guess?
Sperm count?

59 Dano

Keep this in mind. 1931 marked the lowest number of childbirths on record. . No surprise there....The Great Depression.
Now just 15 years later marked the beginning of the birthing of the largest generation in American history. The reason....
World War II. A war that cost 405,000 American lives about that many and more wounded out of a population that at the time was only 138 million. Therefore, replenishing the numbers was a matter of human instinct
How come a similar phenomenon wasn't observed after the Civil War, which cost over 600,000 American lives when the population was only 30,000,000? If it's an instinctive response, they should have been cranking out babies left and right.

That's a wonderful hypothesis you have that it's human instinct to want to restore a country's population. Silly, but wonderful.

DeliveryException

Sure there is, it's too early in many cases. This isn't 1935 when 65 became the standard to get old people out of the workforce with a modest income-for-life so that they possibly enjoy the last few years of their lives and open up spots for younger workers. People live longer and many are in their prime earning years in their early 60's. Might as well make dat dolla.

Those who just want to go through the motions and call it quits as soon as it's feasible can't figure out why no one else is like that.
That's weird. I don't know anyone that, if they could retire would just keep making other people money.
I'm not sure where all these people are that wouldn't quit when it's feasible. I mean that's what having retirement plan is for. Once the plan is done then you retire.
Why would you keep working for someone else if you didn't have to keep working.

Spam

There’s no reason a 30+ year courier shouldn’t have 2-3 million dollars set aside. Nobody should be showing them the door. They should already be gone. Problem is a lot of them get divorced and just never saved. 15%-20% savings for a 35 year career. With the traditional pension, should be a fat nest egg.
What are you smoking? We have a few over a million, but 2-3 million 🤦🏻‍♂️

Mutineer

I used to think the same thing.

For my brother, it's mostly because he's never had it so good at his job. Easy money, easy work.

For people I've known, it's because their work life is preferable to their home life.

Others because they have no hobbies or interests to pursue.

And some people simply like their jobs.

bacha29

How come a similar phenomenon wasn't observed after the Civil War, which cost over 600,000 American lives when the population was only 30,000,000? If it's an instinctive response, they should have been cranking out babies left and right.

That's a wonderful hypothesis you have that it's human instinct to want to restore a country's population. Silly, but wonderful.
We quadrupled the nation's population in a span of less than 3 generations.

bacha29

I used to think the same thing.

For my brother, it's mostly because he's never had it so good at his job. Easy money, easy work.

For people I've known, it's because their work life is preferable to their home life.

Others because they have no hobbies or interests to pursue.

And some people simply like their jobs.
Given the constant attacks from the Rad Right on the nation's retirement system as evidenced by Mini Bush's plan to privatize Social Security and Ryan's plan to so called "save' Medicare both of which were scam's right from the get go perhaps people are continuing to work later in life as a consequence of those efforts?

The irony of the matter is that after using every means possible to shove the older "legacy cost" worker out the door only to want them back a few years later .

The message to FDX grunts is to prepare for continued reduction in healthcare and pension benefits because there's nothing you can do about it except quit and quit early enough to still be employable while for UPS brown shirts be ready to use whatever means are at your disposal to defend your retirement plans because you too are nothing more than "legacy costs" as well. Because when you become a "legacy cost" and everyone eventually becomes one at that point you're no longer making money for that company .

In the economy of today....you're not retired....you're disposed of.

59 Dano

That's weird. I don't know anyone that, if they could retire would just keep making other people money.
I'm not sure where all these people are that wouldn't quit when it's feasible. I mean that's what having retirement plan is for. Once the plan is done then you retire.
Those who just want to go through the motions and call it quits as soon as it's feasible can't figure out why others aren't like that.

bacha29

You said people cranked up the birthrate to replenish the lives lost in WWII, which is silly. You can't even keep up with your own bad logic.
Then you tell me.....Just exactly what factors unrelated to WWII are responsible for the birthing of the largest generation of Americans ever and started immediately after the end of WWII?

DeliveryException

Those who just want to go through the motions and call it quits as soon as it's feasible can't figure out why others aren't like that.
I don't mean just going through the motions, I mean have a plan and the plan fulfills then you move on to the next stage. I want to enjoy retirement myself not work until I die. Most people I have talked to are much the same.

59 Dano

Then you tell me.....Just exactly what factors unrelated to WWII are responsible for the birthing of the largest generation of Americans ever and started immediately after the end of WWII?
"Ma and I decided to have an couple of extra kids to replenish the population that was lost during the war," said no one ever.

Mutineer

I would think the introduction of penicillin contributed to this.

Before penicillin, people died horrible deaths from very simple, minor injuries and illnesses.

Also, we had an industrial war machine that suddenly had nothing to do except make consumer products. Add to that vast, natural resources to plunder. And that all created lotsa' good paying, blue collar jobs.

Perhaps optimism played a part as well.